How to install MOTU Legacy interface support in CATALINA

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to install MOTU Legacy interface support in CATALINA

Post by James Steele »

Doing some research and came across this topic. So I'm assuming it's possible to use a PCIe-424 setup under Mojave. After Mojave, the PCI Setup app, etc. won't work because they're 32 bit, right? Does the MIDI stuff still work okay if you have an MTP/AV and some hardware modules? Thanks in advance!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
grrrz

Post by grrrz »

patthedog wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:15 am Thanks for this. What are the chances of this working on the new M1 Macs? I have the Mk1 Ultralite (Firewire only). I've read this can work on recent Intel machines with a Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt1 adapter going into Thunderbolt1 to FW adapter (which I already have). But I guess M1 is whole new kettle of fish?

BTW @Slubo about the volume keys not working, you might want to try the SoundSource app. More details here: https://rogueamoeba.com/support/knowled ... cle=SS-SVK
Just reporting that the ultralite mk3 works fine with the last version of Big Sur on M1.
To install the driver you need to reboot the mac in recovery mode (hold power button) and launch "Startup Security Utility"; check medium security and the two boxes below. You can do that before or after the installation I guess. If you install the driver before doing this; the mac will ask you if you want to do exactly that and explain to you what you have to do in the said utility and shut down itself. You'll have then to boot in recovery (hold power) and it will auto launch the security utility. After installation you have to reboot anyway; then allow the driver in the security system preferences (within 30 minutes).
Then it will reboot again to "rebuild" the system with the motu kext; reboot once more and then it works. It's quite a convoluted process that should be explained better by MOTU; but it works and you don't need to do all the steps explained at the beginning of the thread or any third party app or terminal command.

as for how it's plugged I use both official apple adapters in a chain plugged to the mac; TB3 to TB2 and TB2 to firewire. I have yet to test it on a thunderbolt 3 port on an external dock.
papageno

Post by papageno »

I just updated my i7 intel mini to OS 12.01 and the combo Intel-Monterey also works.
Using also 2 Apple adapters.
In a week or so I will probably receive 16'' Macbook Pro with M1 Pro. Motu states that the newest audio driver is OS12 and Apple Silicon compatible so I hope for the best. I could also test on my wife's M1 mini and Os12 but I have too much work now.

Also it seems that OS12 update does not have too many under-the-hood changes that break things. My setup just worked after the update with zero hassle. Uktralit3, Dp, Finale27, many other apps and extras.
+372 56222285
Dogsmell

Post by Dogsmell »

Hi, All - I had this working great on my main Catalina iMac but the logic board died so I'm trying to work through these steps again to get it working on a Monterey machine. Everything's fine until step 5 - I get this

- mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied
mount: / failed with 66

Anyone know the workaround? I'm definitely getting no love without being able to do this.
papageno

Post by papageno »

you are trying to follow steps for Catalina in Monterey
just click the installer and follow the steps
+372 56222285
Dogsmell

Post by Dogsmell »

I’m installing an 828 mk3 FireWire-only, not hybrid, hence the need for this workaround.
papageno

Post by papageno »

No. On Monterey it is different procedure.
Catalina instructions do not apply.
I have also FW only Ultralite mk3.

Installed this morning. Kext loads and all well on M1 and os 12
+372 56222285
Dogsmell

Post by Dogsmell »

That's wild! I ran the MOTU installer and have nothing - cuemix won't load, device doesn't show up in Audio/MIDI setup.
grrrz

Post by grrrz »

Dogsmell wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:31 am I’m installing an 828 mk3 FireWire-only, not hybrid, hence the need for this workaround.
I don't have an hybrid and I didn't need any workaround. the driver is 100% compatible with the ultralite mk3 FW only. look my post above.
Dogsmell

Post by Dogsmell »

Gotcha - happy for both of you! Sounds like the Ultralike Mk3 is working great on Monterey. Woo-hoo! Not sure what it has to do with my request.

Now, back to me - does anyone understand what mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied
mount: / failed with 66
implicates and how I can get this 828 mk3 Firewire-only interface to work on Monterey? I was able to get it working on Catalina before by following the steps here, and it seems like this is the final thing standing in the way of it working on Monterey.
papageno

Post by papageno »

Please provide the info what is the specific driver you are trying to install.
The issue seems NOT to be if it is Ultralite Mk3 or 828 mk3. The issue seems to be that you are unable to install the driver.
As I undersand you do not have the driver installed yet because you are following the instrucion for Catalina and this instruction is outdated for Monterey. You do not have the kext loading yet so it is early to say anything. After you get the software installed then is the moment of truth- is 828 working or not.

So therefore the question stands- which version and what driver are you trying to install?

You can provide the installer file link.
+372 56222285
papageno

Post by papageno »

I will post an image of a screenshot of the app "System Information".
Open the app, and click on "Extensions" under "Software" subdivision.
Scroll to the letter M and see if you have "MotuFirewireAudio" extension present. If your interface is connected and turned on, then the "Loaded" status should say YES. If 828 is not seen at all then the loaded status says NO.
If there is no MotuFirewireAudio extension in the list- that means you have not succeeded in installing it. Without the extension installed there is no way that Ultralite mk3 or 828 mk3 would work.
+372 56222285
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:46 am
patthedog wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:15 am Thanks for this. What are the chances of this working on the new M1 Macs? I have the Mk1 Ultralite (Firewire only). I've read this can work on recent Intel machines with a Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt1 adapter going into Thunderbolt1 to FW adapter (which I already have). But I guess M1 is whole new kettle of fish?

BTW @Slubo about the volume keys not working, you might want to try the SoundSource app. More details here: https://rogueamoeba.com/support/knowled ... cle=SS-SVK
Just reporting that the ultralite mk3 works fine with the last version of Big Sur on M1.
To install the driver you need to reboot the mac in recovery mode (hold power button) and launch "Startup Security Utility"; check medium security and the two boxes below. You can do that before or after the installation I guess. If you install the driver before doing this; the mac will ask you if you want to do exactly that and explain to you what you have to do in the said utility and shut down itself. You'll have then to boot in recovery (hold power) and it will auto launch the security utility. After installation you have to reboot anyway; then allow the driver in the security system preferences (within 30 minutes).
Then it will reboot again to "rebuild" the system with the motu kext; reboot once more and then it works. It's quite a convoluted process that should be explained better by MOTU; but it works and you don't need to do all the steps explained at the beginning of the thread or any third party app or terminal command…
That should only apply to T2 equipped Macs and later
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208862

With Apple Silicon, the Secure Enclave has now been moved onboard so this functionality is present but the separate T2 chip is no longer required
as for how it's plugged I use both official apple adapters in a chain plugged to the mac; TB3 to TB2 and TB2 to firewire. I have yet to test it on a thunderbolt 3 port on an external dock.
A TB3 port on an external dock passes through the TB3 connection on the port it's plugged into. If there are multiple USB-C ports on a hub or dock. only one of them will supply TB3. The chain should work.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
papageno

Post by papageno »

The startup security utility setup change is necessary at least for M1 mini. The MOTU installer guides through these steps, just follow them. Tried this morning with M1 MINI and os 12.0.1
+372 56222285
themagichoof
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by themagichoof »

Thanks for this info. Just saved my behind!