How to install MOTU Legacy interface support in CATALINA

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Cacus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: How to install MOTU Legacy interface support in CATALINA

Post by Cacus »

Hi All,

I have 'possibly' found a easier solution. I have a 828 Mk 3 FW only interface and have just done a clean install of Catalina. I installed the MOTU Catalina drivers and as expected the interface does not show up. Now fortunately for me I have had a older machine running High Sierra which had the drivers installed on it.

So I copied the MOTUFireWireAudio.kext on to the new machines desktop and downloaded KextBeast 2.0.2 from tonymacx86.com.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/ke ... 2-0-2.399/

You have to register to download it.

Any way when running KextBeast choose /Library/Extensions for the install location and it will install the MOTUFireWireAudio.kext.

Restart and the MOTU AudioSetUp App boots and the interface is recognised. It also shows up in CueMix and though I did't have my speakers wired up the vu meters in CueMix were bouncing!

I haven't fully run everything up but at least it see the unit and hopefully everything else will be fine.

;-)
mothra
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mothra »

Hmmm does anyone know what the name of the driver is the 828x uses??

I have the same Catalina drivers installed here under Big Sur and my 828x is working without any issue at all, but its also USB (I was running Catalina up until two weeks ago and it worked fine there too). When I checked just now, it looks like its using the same MOTUFireWireAudio.kext, as I dont see one for MOTUUSBAudio or anything anywhere on my system.

Is it the actual firewire hardware that's causing the issues? I haven't had a single hiccup yet with the 828x here. Haven't tried my 828mk2 though because I dont want to spend $150 just to connect it to the Mac mini (its setup as an 8 channel A/D connected to the X's ADAT A port)
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I just had reason to use my old 828 original on my trash can running Catalina. I emailed MOTU tech support and the tech guy sent me a link and said, "Try this." I installed what was in the link and everything just worked. 8) Easy road.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mweed4

Post by mweed4 »

Hi joined this website, as I am a longtime recording engineer/motu user / musician
I am running a Mac pro running now Mojave (I did install Catalina, but thanks to Time Machine took it back off ) I am using (2) Motu 24 IOs and could only get the OS to recognize 16 inputs. Will using this trick mentioned make me able to use Catalina and both motus? also what about cuemix (not absolutely necessary) Totally appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Mike
silverroman

Post by silverroman »

Hi everyone.

Has this been tried on the MacOS Big Sur beta?

Thanks
mothra

Post by mothra »

silverroman wrote:Hi everyone.

Has this been tried on the MacOS Big Sur beta?

Thanks
As I said above my 828x is working fine on Big Sur here. I had one issue recently where after beta 9, it would no longer be seen on my USB hub. Had to move it to one of the USB A ports on my Mac mini directly and now its back.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
zmix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by zmix »

mweed4 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:27 pm Hi joined this website, as I am a longtime recording engineer/motu user / musician
I am running a Mac pro running now Mojave (I did install Catalina, but thanks to Time Machine took it back off ) I am using (2) Motu 24 IOs and could only get the OS to recognize 16 inputs. Will using this trick mentioned make me able to use Catalina and both motus? also what about cuemix (not absolutely necessary) Totally appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Mike
If I am understanding what I've read on this forum, you will need to boot into Mojave, lanch the PCIe Audio Setup App, make changes, then copy the following .plist files over to the same folders in the Catalina drive and reboot:

- from <username>/Library/Preferences: everything that starts with com.motu, including the folder
- from <system disk>/Library/Preferences/Audio: com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist and com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist
jordicorominas4

Post by jordicorominas4 »

Phil O wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:39 am I just had reason to use my old 828 original on my trash can running Catalina. I emailed MOTU tech support and the tech guy sent me a link and said, "Try this." I installed what was in the link and everything just worked. 8) Easy road.

Hey Phil!

I'm also having trouble making an Original 828 work with Catalina (in my case, 10.15.3)
I've also started a TechLink with MOTU, even tough they haven't answered and I'm losing it.

Could you please tell me the steps you followed? I'd reaaaally appreciate that.

Cheers from Barcelona,
Thanks!

Jordi
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

The guy gave me a link to this installer:
MOTU Audio Installer 1.6 (83634).pkg

I installed it and everything just worked. I am sorry, I didn't keep the link.

DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Dogsmell

Post by Dogsmell »

Thank you so much for this thread - I now have my old 828 mk3 FW working in Catalina. Cuemix won't launch, though - is there any way to run it under Catalina? I installed it via Pacifist like I did the drivers.
Maddcow

Post by Maddcow »

Dogsmell, you should be able to get CueMix to work...I did.
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Mac OS 10.12.6, MOTU Ultralite Mk 3
RealSoundReviews

Post by RealSoundReviews »

You saved my amd hackintosh build !!
A big big big thank you.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :love: :love: :love: :mrgreen:
Dogsmell

Post by Dogsmell »

Maddcow wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:48 am Dogsmell, you should be able to get CueMix to work...I did.
Do you install it from that same installer using Pacifist and then just launch it? I get the “this app needs to be updated to work on your OS”
patthedog

Post by patthedog »

Thanks for this. What are the chances of this working on the new M1 Macs? I have the Mk1 Ultralite (Firewire only). I've read this can work on recent Intel machines with a Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt1 adapter going into Thunderbolt1 to FW adapter (which I already have). But I guess M1 is whole new kettle of fish?

BTW @Slubo about the volume keys not working, you might want to try the SoundSource app. More details here: https://rogueamoeba.com/support/knowled ... cle=SS-SVK
aidanm

Post by aidanm »

Hey People.

I registered just to say thanks for helping me fix this hell with Catalina 10.15.7 :woohoo:

My 828mk3 disappeared suddenly from my devices. Using driver: MOTU Audio Installer 1.6 (83634).pkg
Hunted high and low all over the interwebz trying all sorts of trickery.
in the end with the help of this awesome thread I was able to get it back forking again - although I didn't use pacifist.

My steps:

1. Boot to recovery mode and disable crsutil
Click the  menu. Select Restart
Hold down command-R to boot into the Recovery System
Choose Disk Utility from the Recovery Menu
Within Disk Utility click on your main hard drive (e.g. Macintosh HD) and then click on Mount
Exit out of Disk Utility
Click Utilities in the menu bar and select Terminal
Use the following commands:

csrutil disable

Close the Terminal app
Click the  menu and select Restart

2. Uninstall the Motu app using appcleaner
Search entire HDD for anything matching "motu" and deleted (ensure you have library search enabled https://osxdaily.com/2020/04/23/always- ... -catalina/)
Empty trash and shutdown
Disconnect device
Boot up and reinstall the drivers
Reconnect the hardware and all is good again.

One note I have no idea what cuemix is so never had this before and don't have this now :)

(Adding some keywords for anyone searching for this: Motu 828 Mk3 No Devices Found in Mac Catalina)