How to install MOTU Legacy interface support in CATALINA

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
papageno
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to install MOTU Legacy interface support in CATALINA

Post by papageno »

10.15.2 broke it for me. Got it working again.
SIP needs to be turned of and it needs to stay off.

If you had it installed and working in 10.15.1 then reboot to Recovery Mode, open Terminal from menu and type:

Code: Select all

csrutil disable
followed by enter or return key.
Then reboot the mac to normal mode again.

In case you haven't installed drivers yet, do these steps before everything else described in the first post. If you turn on SIP again, motu drivers won't load.
+372 56222285
urban-fury

Post by urban-fury »

Hello people ! I would like to know if this manip can work for hight sierra? :woohoo:
I've post a theard to explain my Motu UL mk3 : 2weeks of problems if this solution work as well it could mak me really happy because i'm at the point to sell my motu ( and I really don't want ! )

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67047
Maddcow

Post by Maddcow »

I've just found that if I use Pacifist to selectively install only the MOTU Audio Setup.app, MOTU SMPTE Setup.app and CueMix FX.app (and its support files) from the MOTU Audio Installer 1.6 (83634), these apps work perfectly in Catalina with the MOTU Ultralite.

MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Mac OS 10.12.6, MOTU Ultralite Mk 3
danmaitland2003
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by danmaitland2003 »

I have an old fast track rpo going into windows 10.. working intermittently.. I see you fixes above are for mac.. do they work for windows too?
Siubo

Post by Siubo »

Thanks for the sharing. This method really works that I can connect my Ultralite Mk3 on the Catalina.

There are still little problem that.

I can no longer control the volume using the keyboard. I cannot see the volume bar at the System Preference> Sound as well. The Motu Audio Setup and Motu SMPTE Setup are disabled, the Motu Discovery app cannot find the Ultralite MK3 neither.

Does it happen to everyone? Any method I can quick control the volume besides the Audio MIDI Setup App?

Thanks all in advance!
sbrewster_jones
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sbrewster_jones »

Thanks for the info, papageno.
I tried all of that, but I still can't get my ultralite mk3 firewire to show up.
When I type in sudo -uw / into terminal, it asks for a password. I put the password in and then it just goes to a new line of command.

I then open the installer package 1.6 in Pacifist and it looks different to yours. I don't have the System folder under Applications and Library.

I try and install everything anyway, and then restart, but not showing up in sound panel.

Can anyone please help?

***UPDATE:
It now works, as does Cuemix! YES!!
I'm not sure what happened. I followed all of papageno's instructions but there was obviously something I missed.
I went into security and privacy > general > and then unlocked it. Said there was something with a "j" in front of it that wasn't allowed. I allowed it, ran the Motu package again without Pacifist, restarted computer, and voila! showed up in audio preferences, and also Cuemix works.
I'm so happy.
Thanks again for posting this, papageno. I thought I was going to have to buy a new interface.
BTW, I'm running OSX 10.15.5 on a 2020 16" Macbook Pro with firewire400-800 cable into thunderbolt 2 adapter into usb-c adapter.
All seems to work fine currently. :woohoo: :dance:
freqsound

Post by freqsound »

I'm trying to help someone through this process. Also working with 828mk3. Did you have to type in a password in Terminal? (which we did not). I thought we went through the steps carefully, but things did not appear in the Sound Preferences. Any other specific info would be helpful. Thanks.
sbrewster_jones wrote:
***UPDATE:
I'm not sure what happened. I followed all of papageno's instructions but there was obviously something I missed.
I went into security and privacy > general > and then unlocked it. Said there was something with a "j" in front of it that wasn't allowed. I allowed it, ran the Motu package again without Pacifist, restarted computer, and voila! showed up in audio preferences, and also Cuemix works.
I'm so happy.
Thanks again for posting this, papageno. I thought I was going to have to buy a new interface.
BTW, I'm running OSX 10.15.5 on a 2020 16" Macbook Pro with firewire400-800 cable into thunderbolt 2 adapter into usb-c adapter.
sbrewster_jones

Yeah, I typed in the password in Terminal, but it wasn't clear whether the computer took it or not, as it simply went to another line.
I did this step several times and there was one time I didn't enter the password correctly and it said "incorrect password".

I also went through the steps very carefully, and spent a few hours trying to troubleshoot.

It was only when I went into System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General that I noticed it said that there was one file that started with a "j" (sorry, can't remember any more than that) that was trying to install and I needed to unlock with my password and allow it.
Then I used the MOTU installer package and went through those steps, restarted the computer, and it showed up.

When it did, I almost levitated from my chair.
I sincerely hope you can get it working. I am a real novice when it comes to this stuff, but it seems that papageno's instructions work, I just had that one snag and maybe you have the same issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions related to this and I'll do my best to help you.

I've also been grappling with routing audio from Zoom to specific outputs of my Ultralite, which I would've thought could've been achieved through Cuemix, but I worked out a way to do it with Logic and Soundflower. If this is of any interest to you, let me know.

Cheers,

Sam
freqsound wrote:I'm trying to help someone through this process. Also working with 828mk3. Did you have to type in a password in Terminal? (which we did not). I thought we went through the steps carefully, but things did not appear in the Sound Preferences. Any other specific info would be helpful. Thanks.
sbrewster_jones wrote:
***UPDATE:
I'm so happy.
freqsound

Post by freqsound »

Thanks for the reply. I got it to work the second time, putting in the password when asked. I had to also install the current MOTU Audio package, since that contains the 64-bit version of CueMix.

So for me the steps were: (this is on a 2019 Mac Pro with 10.15.6)
Install current MOTU Audio Package
Restart in Recovery Mode and enter the Terminal command in the original post.
Restart and enter the second Terminal command in the original post
Open Pacifist and select the FireWire driver folder on the previous MOTU Audio Package (but not the CueMix app area).
Restart and MOTU Audio Setup launched automatically.

Thanks to papageno and sbrewster for the help.

sbrewster:
I've been using an AVB interface on my Mac Pro and route Zoom, DP, etc. all through that. I had used Soundflower in the past. Loopback seems to be the software others are recommending if needed at the moment.
sbrewster_jones

Great to hear that you got it to work and thanks for the tip on Loopback. I will check that out.
freqsound wrote:Thanks for the reply. I got it to work the second time, putting in the password when asked. I had to also install the current MOTU Audio package, since that contains the 64-bit version of CueMix.

Open Pacifist and select the FireWire driver folder on the previous MOTU Audio Package (but not the CueMix app area).

sbrewster:
I've been using an AVB interface on my Mac Pro and route Zoom, DP, etc. all through that. I had used Soundflower in the past. Loopback seems to be the software others are recommending if needed at the moment.
labman

Post by labman »

freqsound wrote:Thanks for the reply. I got it to work the second time, putting in the password when asked. I had to also install the current MOTU Audio package, since that contains the 64-bit version of CueMix.

Thank you for this Glenn. Appreciated! Just got in a new 2019MacPro. And have a new 828ES here to use on it. But i would FAR prefer using our 424 inside this beast with our existing rigs. So is your process the same one i would use for doing that?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
freqsound

Post by freqsound »

I don't how or if its possible to use any of the existing MOTU PCI cards with a current (2019) Mac Pro. Sorry, I too have plenty of the older hardware and cards and would love to include them in my current rig.
labman wrote:

Thank you for this Glenn. Appreciated! Just got in a new 2019MacPro. And have a new 828ES here to use on it. But i would FAR prefer using our 424 inside this beast with our existing rigs. So is your process the same one i would use for doing that?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

freqsound wrote:I don't how or if its possible to use any of the existing MOTU PCI cards with a current (2019) Mac Pro.…
Question's been asked, discussed and answered. That answer is no, it can't be done.

MOTU would have to build a PCIe card with compatible firmware. Not happening for a line that was discontinued 8(?) years ago.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
labman

Post by labman »

mikehalloran wrote:
freqsound wrote:I don't how or if its possible to use any of the existing MOTU PCI cards with a current (2019) Mac Pro.…
Question's been asked, discussed and answered. That answer is no, it can't be done.

MOTU would have to build a PCIe card with compatible firmware. Not happening for a line that was discontinued 8(?) years ago.
Thanks Glenn and Mike. :) Tis no big deal. We got a thunderbolt array to cover the new Mac Pro. We can just keep our old interfaces on the 2010 and use in other rooms.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mothra

Post by mothra »

828x Catalina drivers still working great in Big Sur too..
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC