What we can surmise from Performer Lite

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What we can surmise from Performer Lite

Post by dix »

Michael Canavan wrote:The ME is still there in Performer Lite, just as a sub window. I doubt they would limit us to that in DP10 when these changes happen in an update? wouldn't make any sense.
To me, by definition, the MIDI Editor includes the multi track selector functionality, which I don't see in the pics of sub window in P lite...or maybe it's just hidden, or implemented differently. If, say, you were to shift-click another MIDI track, maybe it's MIDI notes would be seen in the sub-window too.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

cuttime wrote:Not sure if this is exactly a confirmation, but the TO resizing bug was confirmed by MOTU, and I was told it would be fixed in an update.
I'd say it's confirmation it's not going anywhere, at least for now, cuttime. Thanks mate.

I'd be completely lost without the TO. It's my hub, my rock and my home; trips elsewhere are made on a temporary, as-needed basis, usually via double-clicking MIDI, audio or automation that needs closer inspection or editing.

At least, that's how I rolled many years ago when I last "experimented" with DP. Been living in a theoretical world for a long time now.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

MM, if you've been living in a theoretical world, does that mean you no longer believe in evolution? Or perhaps you are a living example of devolution? I mean, how many of us have been permanently made into a monkey?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:
cuttime wrote:Not sure if this is exactly a confirmation, but the TO resizing bug was confirmed by MOTU, and I was told it would be fixed in an update.
I'd say it's confirmation it's not going anywhere, at least for now, cuttime. Thanks mate.

I'd be completely lost without the TO. It's my hub, my rock and my home; trips elsewhere are made on a temporary, as-needed basis, usually via double-clicking MIDI, audio or automation that needs closer inspection or editing.
I'm with you on the importance of TO. For me it is the centerpiece of DP.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

billf wrote:
monkey man wrote:

I'm with you on the importance of TO. For me it is the centerpiece of DP.
Me too!

As far as "What we can surmise from Performer Lite" it's all speculation. Features from a [presumably] ground up coded app could be simply implemented into a legacy app like DP is speculation at best.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:As far as "What we can surmise from Performer Lite" it's all speculation. Features from a [presumably] ground up coded app could be simply implemented into a legacy app like DP is speculation at best.
Ah padawan, there is a guaranteed zero percent chance that Performer Lite is coded from the ground up. It's obviously a cut down version of DP10, including a few features tech support mentioned to me when DP10 came out, like Clips in the Sequence Editor. Why do I say zero percent? because it took over 30 years to get DP10 to the place it is now, it's the Taj Mahal, not a cookie cutter suburban home. Things are missing from Performer Lite, but the basics are all there. Again no big mystery that a cut down version of a huge complex code base will be easier to debug and might get new features out the door first when it's introduced.

There's plenty of precendent for this. Even Garageband, that at first looked completely different than Logic was a stripped down version of Logic underneath, that got a few "new" features (Apple Loop support) before Logic did when it was first introduced. It's not speculation to say that DP10 will soon get Clips in the Sequence Editor, it's flat rational thinking.

What is speculation not worth worrying about is if DP10 will only be 4 edit windows too. That wouldn't make any sense and I'm 100% certain that isn't happening. There isn't one good reason why MOTU's flagship DAW would get something like Tracks removed that helps end users.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

I know as much about coding as I do about what the winning lottery numbers will be this evening. If you have any inside info on THAT you'd be rewarded mightily... :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I know as much about coding as I do about what the winning lottery numbers will be this evening. If you have any inside info on THAT you'd be rewarded mightily... :rofl:
big difference between having inside info on how development works and being able to code. :wink:
I'm 100% certain that DP10 gets Clips in the Sequence Editor, and that Performer Lite is a stripped down version of DP10.

What I can't tell you and you're 100% right on is when DP10 gets these things. The more complex daddy code base is going to be harder to debug, more variables equal more possibilities for error. It's possible that areas that are not in Lite are having issues with Clips etc.? How are they going to implement Clips in the Tracks View for instance? We can see how they're going to do it in the Sequence Editor.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Well, stubbsonic just got an M4. Why don't we just ask him? :dance:
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

cuttime wrote:Well, stubbsonic just got an M4. Why don't we just ask him? :dance:
Excellent!
:koolaid:
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

mhschmieder wrote:MM, if you've been living in a theoretical world, does that mean you no longer believe in evolution?
You're assuming I did, Mark. :?
mhschmieder wrote:Or perhaps you are a living example of devolution?
This I can attest to. The ol' laws of entropy have ensured my steady demise from what was already a very-low base, I'm afraid. :oops:
mhschmieder wrote:I mean, how many of us have been permanently made into a monkey?
Only one that I'm certain of, Mark... and there's that gorilla too of course. :lol:

Hey guys, great to see all the love for the TO. May it never die! :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

<grunt>
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

monkey man wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:I mean, how many of us have been permanently made into a monkey?
Only one that I'm certain of, Mark... and there's that gorilla too of course. :lol:
Knock knock
Who's there?
Gorilla
Gorilla who?
Gorilla my dreams.

THAT'S what I think I can surmise from Performer Lite! :dance:

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

mhschmieder wrote:Or perhaps you are a living example of devolution?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

Performer Lite Manual -

https://motu.com/techsupport/manuals

So far a new "Hand" Tool is also present in Performer Lite.
HAND TOOL
The Hand tool allows you to scroll
graphic editors smoothly and precisely. It
also lets you scroll vertically and
horizontally in a single gesture. Simply click
anywhere in the graphic editor grid and drag as
desired.
A new record mode allows you to record Clips into the Sequence Editor or to record directly into a clip.

No mention of MPE.

No Tracks, Song, Waveform windows.