What we can surmise from Performer Lite

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: What we can surmise from Performer Lite

Post by CharlzS »

Chunks Window is now the Set List. Terminology may make more sense for those coming from outside the chunks world.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Michael Canavan »

CharlzS wrote:Chunks Window is now the Set List. Terminology may make more sense for those coming from outside the chunks world.
Searching for Chunks in the manual it shows up a few times, but it's probably just because they copy pasted parts of the DP10 manual where things aren't changed that much and didn't catch the references. I don't mind Set List, but it doesn't cover the full spread of Chunks, since it can be anything, not just a collection of songs for performing etc.

It's almost been a year since DP10 was announced, I'm really curious as to what the next upgrade is going to look like? How many things from Performer Lite come over?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
tremo

Post by tremo »

Michael Canavan wrote: Anyway, since MOTU doesn't usually outside of announcing new features at NAMM sometimes do any speculation it's up to us, and it does look interesting in the future here when DP10.1, or whatever number they give, it drops!
I just noticed, watching the Performer Lite intro vid on the download page, about 0:54 in, the download buttons say "Performer 10.1 Lite". Seems like a good indicator that the next version of DP will indeed be 10.1...

https://motu.com/en-us/performer-lite-download/
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.4.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 10.8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:Performer Lite Manual - https://motu.com/techsupport/manuals
Looks like the Drum, Song and Notation editors are gone. And Consoles. These all needed serious updating. Maybe they have been updated in "Pro". Or maybe they've decided it's all too much. Is the Event list there? And the stuff that MOTU would have to pay a licence for doesn't seem to be there.

And I still say it looks a lot like Logic.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:Performer Lite Manual - https://motu.com/techsupport/manuals
Looks like the Drum, Song and Notation editors are gone. And Consoles. These all needed serious updating. Maybe they have been updated in "Pro". Or maybe they've decided it's all too much. Is the Event list there? And the stuff that MOTU would have to pay a licence for doesn't seem to be there.

QuickScribe is there, they seem to have stripped out the others to make it Lite.
The license stuff is there, smaller collection of loops from Loopmasters, and the Stretch algorithms.

It's flatter than Logic, sort of Logic, Live and Studio One rolled together. Hopefully the full version we own still has skins, which I can't see a reason why it wouldn't? The transport is dead on Studio One.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

bayswater wrote:

It's got a lot more in there than I would have expected. V-Racks, Movie track, VCAs. Tons o stuff. ...notation editor is in there, bayswater (page 130) as is the licensed ZTX pitch technology.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:
The license stuff is there, smaller collection of loops from Loopmasters, and the Stretch algorithms.
I missed the more recent stuff on pitch and time stretching. You think it's the same as we have in DP? If so, I'll be interested to see what the limitations are. Lite seems to do most if not everything I need.

I'd have thought they get the loopmasters etc stuff for free with the licence owners hoping to get more orders.

Flatter than Logic? :shock: There are complaints about the most recent versions of Logic being too flat.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

dix wrote:It's got a lot more in there than I would have expected. V-Racks, Movie track, VCAs. Tons o stuff. ...notation editor is in there, bayswater (page 130) as is the licensed ZTX pitch technology.
Yeah it's crazy packed for a "Lite" version. For 90% of what I do with DP this would be fine. Way better than Bitwig 8 Track, Garageband, Live and Cubase offerings that way. Doesn't seem to have a track count limitation. I mean they just took a slice out of Logic and the reap DAW that we don't "advertise" here, in terms of price. For $169 you get the M2 and a pretty full featured DAW.

Honestly I'm a little confused as to what is going to really differentiate DP10 "pro"?
MX4? Song, Waveform and Track editors? Multi Record? It's a bit of a mystery?
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:
I missed the more recent stuff on pitch and time stretching. You think it's the same as we have in DP? If so, I'll be interested to see what the limitations are. Lite seems to do most if not everything I need.

I'd have thought they get the loopmasters etc stuff for free with the licence owners hoping to get more orders.

Flatter than Logic? :shock: There are complaints about the most recent versions of Logic being too flat.
Yeah I'm shocked at how complete Lite is. I'm 100% OK with it, more people using DP means more updates and money spent on features etc. but I'm thinking they'll need to add some serious features to DP11 'Pro' to get people to fork out for the paid version. I can see areas that makes sense to update, spectral editing in the Spectral view layer, some sort of version of MacFive3/Falcon included, MX4 GUI update, Expression maps like Cubase and Logic etc.

It's definitely flatter than Logic, but I would expect that the full version of DP10 when it's updated doesn't lose Themes.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Non inclusion of features doesn't necessarily mean the removal of these features from DP. Suggestions to that end are, to be as polite as possible, ill-founded, as is speculation about what might or might not be added or what bugs might be addressed. DP 5 was great. Remember how much better DP 6 was?

:boring: :roll:

Same goes for second guessing any "MOTU strategies" for increasing revenue. Seriously, this is just so much pissing in the wind. Mind the backsplash...

:sorry: (not sorry)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Non inclusion of features doesn't necessarily mean the removal of these features from DP. Suggestions to that end are, to be as polite as possible, ill-founded, as is speculation about what might or might not be added or what bugs might be addressed. DP 5 was great. Remember how much better DP 6 was?

:boring: :roll:

Same goes for second guessing any "MOTU strategies" for increasing revenue. Seriously, this is just so much pissing in the wind. Mind the backsplash...

:sorry: (not sorry)
At this point it wouldn't be a speculation thread without you chiming in to say we're.. wait for it, speculating!! :lol:

I have no doubt though that Clips will get recording features into the Sequence timeline. Since it's added to Lite, and MOTU tech support told me that it would be coming later in the year when DP10 came out months ago. I also see no logical reason why the new Hand tool, and the bar for the cycle record would be missing from a DP10 update? In fact in general it's interesting to me that Lite is as complete as it is. Plenty of people have complained about the Tabs in the Consolidated window, I would be more than surprised if that wasn't replaces with something like what Lite has. None of these "speculations" are controversial or that far fetched, it's all rational logical conclusions one can come to about what might be next for DP10.

Pissing into a urinal rather than the wind. Still have to mind backsplash though. (Hint, a friend unlocked the code, the kids urinal is the key)
MIDI Life Crisis

Ad hominem comments only weaken an argument. Good luck with that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Ad hominem comments only weaken an argument. Good luck with that.
    You may be taking a topic posted specifically in MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions and Off Topic, too seriously. You're literally coming into a thread in it's proper theoretical speculation sub forum and calling speculation ill founded? Pointing out that you tend to not like speculation threads is not ad hominum, especially following it up with my reasons for speculating. Had I addressed your personality, or tried to belittle you because I had no comeback I would get it, but I attempted to engage you.

Do you really think there are no clues in Lite as to what we might expect in the next update to DP? This seems as far fetched to me as 'sky is falling' thinking about the limitations of a Lite version. What I can't see though is features/improvements in Lite that are not going to make it to DP10 (or 11) at some point, and this is supposedly the sub forum to discuss that in. :koolaid:
    MIDI Life Crisis

And thus pissing in the wind devolves into a pissing contest. :rofl: Commenting on speculation is not like speculating on speculation. Butt eye digress.
    2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
    Michael Canavan

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And thus pissing in the wind devolves into a pissing contest. :rofl: Commenting on speculation is not like speculating on speculation. Butt eye digress.
    Do you really think there are no clues in Lite as to what we might expect in the next update to DP?

I get that unfounded speculation makes you upset, but I don't get why speculation on things that we have possible clues about is somehow verboten?