Converting a .dpdoc file from Mac to Windows

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Converting a .dpdoc file from Mac to Windows

Post by jsg »

Is it possible to do this?

Or just better to create a type 1 .mid file and open it in Windows DP...?

Thanks!
Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Converting a .dpdoc file from Mac to Windows

Post by bayswater »

When I demoed the Windows version of DP, I'm pretty sure I just opened the projects files I had created in the Mac version. Is that no longer possible?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The file should just open. DP 10 files will not open in 9 or 8, however unless Saved as DP 9 (and then it’s a crap shoot at best). The included MAS plug-ins are cross-platform compatible also.

3rd party plugins won’t be compatible unless

a) The Mac and Win users both own and have them installed

b) The Mac user used the VST version instead of AU
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote:The file should just open. DP 10 files will not open in 9 or 8, however unless Saved as DP 9 (and then it’s a crap shoot at best). The included MAS plug-ins are cross-platform compatible also.

3rd party plugins won’t be compatible unless

a) The Mac and Win users both own and have them installed

b) The Mac user used the VST version instead of AU
And since I need my hand held through these things, as in I need to be told.
I'll assume everyone should be told.

If you're talking about cross platform synths and samplers, hell even FX, I would bet more on saving the sounds you make for a song to presets if they've been modified from factory sounds at all, then porting them over to Windows in the proper directions etc. I would not count on MOTU, Microsoft, and Apple to be able to save any third party settings without there being an fxb patch to reference.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.