RESOLVED: Novation Fall 2019 Firmware Bricked my Impulse 61

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

RESOLVED: Novation Fall 2019 Firmware Bricked my Impulse 61

Post by BobK »

On October 3, 2019, Novation sent an email announcing that Automap won't be updated for Catalina and beyond and recommending that Impulse users install the latest firmware update.

Installing that update bricked my Impulse 61. Specifically, upon completion of the update, the LCD turns off, and if I unplug and replug the USB cable, it remains off. The computer doesn't see it (per Audio-MIDI Setup and System Information >USB).

If I plug in the USB cable while holding Shift, +, and -, it will boot into boot loader mode, and it does appear in Audio MIDI Setup and System Information > USB.

Novation support sent me firmware version 1.0.695, but that gave the same result. I tried on two computers, both running Mojave 10.14.6 (a Hackintosh iMac i9-9900k and a 2012 MacBook Pro). Both machines run without issue, so I doubt they're causing this.

With the MacBook, I tried a different USB cable (though I've never had any problems with the first cable) and got the same result. Both were 15' long.

In both cases, the Impulse was connected directly to the computer, not to a USB hub.

I'm awaiting further response from Novation.

My Impulse is in near-mint condition - barely used, and mostly stored in its case. Never had any issues with it prior to this.

If you've experienced this issue and found a solution, please chime in.

Thanks!
Last edited by BobK on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
stubbsonic

Re: Novation Fall 2019 Firmware Update Bricked my Impulse 61

Post by stubbsonic »

Dang! That's a drag. Do keep us posted. Will be curious to know if you can fix it, or how Novation deals with you, in terms of support.

We'll ALL be watching... :shock:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
BobK

Re: RESOLVED: Novation Fall 2019 Firmware Bricked Impulse 61

Post by BobK »

Solution: The updates worked when I used a 6' USB cable (the previous ones were 15').
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
stubbsonic

Re: RESOLVED: Novation Fall 2019 Firmware Bricked my Impulse

Post by stubbsonic »

AH!!! Perhaps noise on the USB line? That is a helpful cautionary note!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

BobK

Post by BobK »

Cable length was in the back of my mind but I figured/hoped I'd see error messages from SysEx Librarian and/or the Impulse if there was a problem.
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The shorter USB cable could screw with Studio ergonomics... perhaps a hub mid-run might allow a lengthier connection.
BobK

Post by BobK »

HCMarkus wrote:The shorter USB cable could screw with Studio ergonomics... perhaps a hub mid-run might allow a lengthier connection.
I only used the short cable for updating the firmware. Will go back to the long cable for regular MIDI controller use.

Novation said to not use a USB hub for the firmware update; I don’t know if they recommend against them for regular use.

When I had MIDI problems with my S90 ES, Yamaha also recommended against using a USB hub. That was a drag because my computer is tucked away in a closet for sound isolation. A 15 foot USB 2.0 cable seems to work fine, but I haven’t done any firmware updates or SysEx dumps with that instrument.
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I Miss Understood; the short cable was required for the update only. I get it!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I could see how errors in sysex would be hazardous for an update procedure.

But wouldn't that mean that the long cable would also cause errors with standard MIDI data?

I suppose you could try to find a really good quality longer USB cord with good shielding.

BobK

Post by BobK »

stubbsonic wrote:But wouldn't that mean that the long cable would also cause errors with standard MIDI data?
I've wondered about this. My guess is that the firmware SysEx dump contains much more data than standard MIDI use. It took several minutes to transfer.
stubbsonic wrote:I suppose you could try to find a really good quality longer USB cord with good shielding.
Unless someone has done tests of USB cable quality, there's no way to know which cables are truly better. So far, I haven't had any problems with the one I have except for the firmware update.
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

BobK wrote:I've wondered about this. My guess is that the firmware SysEx dump contains much more data than standard MIDI use. It took several minutes to transfer.
Is there something about higher data density that could cause a borderline/noisy/weak signal to cause a failure, that would happen with less dense data?
BobK wrote: Unless someone has done tests of USB cable quality, there's no way to know which cables are truly better. So far, I haven't had any problems with the one I have except for the firmware update.
I guess you could try your firmware update as a test. :D

But yea, you could get into that whole "our monsta cables have a snake oil micro coating for crisper cleaner data."