Import FCPX xml to DP with XtoCC app

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
buhardilla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Import FCPX xml to DP with XtoCC app

Post by buhardilla »

Just to know if anyone has experience with this app from Intelligent Assistance
http://intelligentassistance.com/xtocc.html
This app transcode FCPX xml projects to FCP 7 xml that can be imported in applications as Adobe audition, After effects,... and in theory DP could also import these files
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
mikehalloran

Re: Import FCPX xml to DP with XtoCC app

Post by mikehalloran »

and in theory DP could also import these files
What theory would that be?

A number of DAWs support some form of .xml import but, as far as I know, DP is not one of them. MusicXML import has been on my wishlist since DP 8 shipped without it.

If there's something I'm missing here, please let us know.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

mikehalloran wrote:
and in theory DP could also import these files
What theory would that be?
If there's something I'm missing here, please let us know.
Unfortunately does not work out :(
I bought the app and I have tried to import FcPX projects in format XML translated by XtoCC to DP. The results:
Some projects were successfully imported as FcP7 files in DP, but in other projects DP was not able to locate audiofiles. In spite I wrote the correct archive folder location in the warning window DP did not load it. I investigated if this problem was due to permissions issue (relocate the files to other HD etc..) but for some unknown reasons DP didn’t recognize it.
But worse still is the fact that these xml files are flawless imported in After Eff, Davinci R,... :banghead:
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

buhardilla wrote: But worse still is the fact that these xml files are flawless imported in After Eff, Davinci R,... :banghead:
Apps that support MusicXML import, I’m guessing.

Thanks for reporting back.

I have used Logic Pro X which does support MusicXML import as a bridge between certain notation apps and DP. It works well enough but there are a lot of steps involved — direct import into DP would be easier. The $200 spent on Logic has paid for itself many times over even though I’ve never begun nor completed a project in it. Without knowing the details, why wouldn’t this approach work for you? Logic has a feature where you can export all audio and MIDI to the desktop simultaneously—I use it often and then select what I will open in DP.

Those I’ve talked to at MOTU don’t understand why anyone would be interested in MusicXML import—while touting .xml export as superior to MIDI.

I do have to agree with them on one point: They just don’t get it. :shake:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro