MOTU and macOS Catalina

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU and macOS Catalina

Post by mikehalloran »

dewdman42 wrote:I hope you are right that old devices will continue to be supported in 64bit but until I see it, it's not.
I get it. You don't believe it. We will all know soon enough. The fact is that all of the following use the current audio driver and those that have MIDI use the current MIDI driver.

2408mk3, 2408mk2, 2408
24I/O
4pre
828x
828mk3 Hybrid
828mk3 FW
828mk2 FW
828mk2 USB
828 Original
896mk3 Hybrid
896mk3 FW
896HD
896 Original
8pre USB
8pre
Audio Express
HD192
MicroBook IIc
MicroBook II
MicroBook
Track16
Traveler-mk3
Traveler Original
UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid Rev3 (FireWire Type B)
UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid
UltraLite-mk3
UltraLite

FastLane
MIDI Express XT
MIDI Express 128
micro express
micro lite
MTP AV

Many are in current production. So, if you want to believe that MOTU will write a driver that excepts
some of these while supporting others, go ahead but you are missing something: The hardware is unchanged and that's where USB/TB/partial FW support lies. Catalina has nothing to do with that. If, someday, Apple goes with their proprietary chip as rumored (in an Intel report), then this may change.

I'm expecting my 828mkII and MTP AV USB to work in Catalina after MOTU releases new drivers. There may be growing pains as in the past but I'll deal with that then.

This is an educated guess, of course, but I see no technical reason to believe I'm wrong.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

mikehalloran wrote:
dewdman42 wrote:I hope you are right that old devices will continue to be supported in 64bit but until I see it, it's not.
I get it. You don't believe it.
I didn't say "I don't believe" anything. I just said, the 64bit drivers don't exist now and there is sometimes substantial effort in upgrading software from 32bit to 64bit, especially in drivers which are highly optimized. I am not saying I "doubt" anything, but I am saying its also not a given that old devices will be supported under 64bit. As stated already I hope you are right that old devices such as original Traveler and MTP AV will continue to work with 64bit drivers when they come out.

Until such time, I advise against upgrading to Catalina.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

An interesting twist...MOTU and macOS Catalina has been removed from the the DP10 Welcome to Digital Performer window.

It's not worth speculating what this mean.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

wvandyck wrote:An interesting twist...MOTU and macOS Catalina has been removed from the the DP10 Welcome to Digital Performer window.

It dawned on me that's going to slow down the second DP10 update if they're testing it for Catalina support. :?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wvandyck wrote:An interesting twist...MOTU and macOS Catalina has been removed from the the DP10 Welcome to Digital Performer window.

No need to speculate. We’ve seen this before—more than once, in fact.

If the past is any indication, it’s a welcome page that was posted prematurely. Even Apple makes this mistake now and then such as when the September 10 announcement date was announced in July for a few hours. Then someone noticed and it was taken down.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

mikehalloran wrote:No need to speculate. We’ve seen this before—more than once, in fact.

If the past is any indication, it’s a welcome page that was posted prematurely. Even Apple makes this mistake now and then such as when the September 10 announcement date was announced in July for a few hours. Then someone noticed and it was taken down.
We could speculate on whether it's an announcement of compatibility or on compatibility though.
We could also speculate on when this test page will be actually displayed intentionally on their website.
We could also ponder whether this is going to be concurrent with an update to DP10 or not?

If you've got some speculating to do, I'm your man! :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

mikehalloran wrote: If the past is any indication, it’s a welcome page that was posted prematurely. Even Apple makes this mistake now and then such as when the September 10 announcement date was announced in July for a few hours. Then someone noticed and it was taken down.
No doubt.
I've seen similar premature posts elsewhere that were eventually removed.

Or,... perhaps, the post was planned, but then removed for reasons unknown to us. :D
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Michael Canavan wrote: It dawned on me that's going to slow down the second DP10 update if they're testing it for Catalina support. :?
That does seem like reasonable speculation.

It's interesting to note that the Catalina compatibilty chart towards the bottom on the linked page seems to indicate "No statement yet," or "Not yet compatible", or "Not officially compatible. At this time, this isn't surprising, but it will be interesting to see long it take to achieve compatibility.
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... ty-list/#a
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

macOS and Catalina is back onn the Welcome Page
https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-catalina/

I updated the 2017 MPB which is mostly used for graphics.
DP projects open, but it's still to early to tell the full story.

More to follow.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Not specifically DP related, but possibly relevant in the short run. The new Music app doesn't export XML. This is probably why NI was one of the first companies to warn against Catalina:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/2090 ... val-update
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

At a glance, the following appear to be ok here:
- UAD silverface Apollo Quad with TB2 card (UAD plug-ins build 9.10.1)
- Presonus 24C interface and Notion
- MOTU Fastlane
- Roland GI-20 connected to the MOTU Fastlane
-MOTIF Rack XS connected to the MOTU Fastlane (mLan monitor set to stand alone)
- Novation SL MKll
- Native Instruments: Kontakt 5x, FM8

MIDI Pipe v1.5.6 is ok. (v1.5.4 wouldn't open)

The MOTIF Rack XS was DOA via FW. The Yamaha-Steinberg FW Control Panel is 32-bit and unlikely to be updated as the XS is a discontinued unit. The Yamaha USB MIDI control panel is active and shows up in the Audio MIDI Setup utility, but the unit isn't responding at the moment.

Update: The most recent version of Fishman Triple Play app, v1.4.106 was problematic, requesting repeat controller firmware upgrades. The issue was resolved by removing it and installing the older v. 1.2.3672. Not it's all good.
Last edited by wvandyck on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Canavan

A list of warnings from manufacturers.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... s-catalina
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Michael Canavan wrote: A list of warnings from manufacturers.

Makes me wonder what the point is of a public beta release. If this is the case, could MOTU just go ahead and release DP 10.1?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

cuttime wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: A list of warnings from manufacturers.

Makes me wonder what the point is of a public beta release. If this is the case, could MOTU just go ahead and release DP 10.1?
I wish they would. I have public betas of MPC Live software and firmware, and Ableton Live on my system.
Sure, not great for pros on projects etc. but I work on my own material using several plug ins and DAWs to do it, and aftertouch is a big enough deal to me to where I'm not currently working in DP10.01 much.

Catalina is officially out BTW, from what I understand the main reasons for incompatibility are 64 bit only code and new security features like digital signing messing with apps that aren't "properly" signed. I'm not a coder so I couldn't tell you whether it's Apple or the developers that are at fault, it's a guarantee that both sides will blame the other though.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

At this point, I'm so NOT unhappy that my Mac Pros won't do Catalina. Just sayin'.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31