Native Instruments, hmmmm...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Native Instruments, hmmmm...

Post by cuttime »

I think they have been off their game for a while, and this seems to confirm this. I know I will think twice about investing any more in their products:

https://cdm.link/2019/09/native-instruments-cuts/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Gravity Jim

Re: Native Instruments, hmmmm...

Post by Gravity Jim »

From the article:

"Revenues continued to grow for NI through 2019, so any snap analysis you may have read online that this is in response to financial trouble are likely misguided."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Gravity Jim wrote:From the article:

"Revenues continued to grow for NI through 2019, so any snap analysis you may have read online that this is in response to financial trouble are likely misguided."
Sure, IMO it's more of a sign of how backwards management has things at NI, and that's nothing new.
It's also a sign that improvements to existing products are probably not going to happen. We're IMO less likely to see Absynth improve for instance and less likely to see VST3 versions, less likely to see resizable GUIs, and of course less likely to see these things as updates as opposed to paid upgrades.

Maybe I'm bitter because I owned Kore, Rig Kontrol 3 and still own Maschine Studio. Two of those are long since discontinued, and Machine Studio was replaced by Maschine MkII. They make great products, but I cannot in any honesty say that a lay off when there's still a lot of 'busy work' that needs to be done there is a good sign.

Here's to Kontakt surviving. I'm not going to invest in much else of theirs though until the dust settles. Unless there's a massive discount on the K12U upgrade. :koolaid:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I'm not necessarily referring to their bottom line. I'm speaking of my own experiences. Just last year, I reported a bug in Kontakt 6, and it took over two months for a reply. Several weeks later they confirmed the bug. Several versions of K6 have been released since then, and the bug still persists. They told me I should just use K5! I'm still not sure why I upgraded to K6 at this point; they actually took away features from it! Reducing Engineering staff is certainly not going to help. Just last month I considered buying an S88 keyboard, and I sure am glad I didn't, now. There are plenty of people still fuming over the botched rollout of MassiveX, and rightly so. So no, I'm not going to speculate on what their plans are, there's plenty of that going on now. The vague corporate speak that they've been issuing is just not inspiring any confidence for a consumer to lay out any hard earned cash.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmmm.... 20% layoff combined with increased revenues. Classic sign of a company ridding itself of dead wood.

If I was an engineer, my resume would be in now.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

I thought long and hard before not upgradinng to K12U. Not enough to jusitify the expense from 11. Then again, over the years, the upgrade costs, especially during special promotionals have been fair.

No use speculating where this going, but the gut is not thrilled.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

How many plugins does a guy or gal need? Then again, I am seriously considering dropping $400 on that new SampleModeling string VI... innovation will still allow companies to separate us from our money. We’ll see if NI can keep up.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Michael Canavan

mikehalloran wrote:Hmmmm.... 20% layoff combined with increased revenues. Classic sign of a company ridding itself of dead wood.

If I was an engineer, my resume would be in now.
I would not bank on that assumption. First off a you can see their revenue stream as a german company, and it's steady, profits have varied from year to year with this last one being nowhere near their highest. They aren't showing a steady increase. The whole announcement they made was pure market speak.

They recently were invested heavily in by an outside firm, it's very likely they're turning a profit by layoff, the laziest way to turn a profit. NI have a long history of making ridiculous decisions in a slash and burn way, and this isn't any surprise to me.

I still love Kontakt and Reaktor though. :koolaid:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Reading further down into the article is not fun. It seems they will have a new platform to replace the old, and will be far more focused on loops.

It's interesting timing, as I just sold most of my UVI stuff, after deciding I find the workflow and preset selection to be extremely cumbersome and counter-productive as it interrupts continuity of thought and vision. I don't notice it so much on ethnic libraries as on other stuff.

ENGINE will have a re-do soon(?). I only sold a couple of those libraries, and only due to redundancy vs. workflow or other things. It's still a minor platform vs. Kontakt or even UVI.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Michael Canavan

mhschmieder wrote: It's interesting timing, as I just sold most of my UVI stuff, after deciding I find the workflow and preset selection to be extremely cumbersome and counter-productive as it interrupts continuity of thought and vision. I don't notice it so much on ethnic libraries as on other stuff.
Out of curiosity how are you navigating Kontakt libraries that makes you feel it's a better approach?

Not arguing here, just curious, I find most sample libraries to be completely lacking in navigation, but I give props to NI for having a "search with Spotlight" option for when you yourself can't remember where the library is?
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Kontakt libraries are direct loads, and don't block what you're doing while switching settings. Presets are often drop-lists within the library GUI vs. requiring going back to the disc-level library loader. Also, updates are usually incremental vs. requiring the replacement of an entire gigantic monolith file.

I greatly admire the UVI pace of development, and many of the products are great, plus I am keeping ones that for now remain top choices (e.g. World Suite, Percussion Store, Mayhem of Loops). But I've also found it much more difficult to customize key switches, MIDI CC's, etc., even compared to ENGINE. Ironically, I found the very first generation of MOTU machFive a bit more intuitive and smooth overall.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

And with UVI Workstation, you can save a Multi but I don't find for a single patche or a a set of internal effects ...!
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Michael Canavan wrote:I give props to NI for having a "search with Spotlight" option for when you yourself can't remember where the library is.
+1
BobK

Post by BobK »

I haven't upgraded Komplete for years - all I really use is Kontakt. I hope they don't change it to subscription-ware, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4