DP10 resizing windows bug?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP10 resizing windows bug?

Post by Henry Robinett »

I've posted this elsewhere and I've opened up a support ticket, but I haven't heard anything - which leads me to believe it's a known bug and they're working on it. IOW they have no solution for it at this time. I HOPE.

Two things actually. The first is a feature I CAN'T STAND. Consolidated windows. I cannot pop all the way out of them. I don't LIKE them AT ALL. But it seems connected to this is the resizing of the windows. EVERY SINGLE TIME - almost - whenever I call up a new plugin or go to a different window and return, it's resized. I then have to Re-REsize it to the way I want it. Say the mixing board or the TO.

I keep threatening, but this is a real deal breaker for me. I'm remixing an old project, jazz CD I'm about to release. I've already set it up in an earlier version of DP. But I think I'm going to upgrade my PT and just ditch DP. I've been with Performer since 1.22 (1985) and DP since version 2.7. That's a lot of loyalty. But DP10 is killing me.

So if someone knows a solution, please let me know.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP10 resizing windows bug?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Question: are you in full screen mode or ops style full screen? I tend to use the the latter and don’t see this but I’m not seeing it in old school full screen.

I also hated constipated (I meant consolidated ... I meant constipated) windows but once I started using them, I really like them. I just wish the tabs were programmable.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Oops I meant to put this in the Mac forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Question: are you in full screen mode or ops style full screen? I tend to use the the latter and don’t see this but I’m not seeing it in old school full screen.

I also hated constipated (I meant consolidated ... I meant constipated) windows but once I started using them, I really like them. I just wish the tabs were programmable.
Hm. I’m not sure re the Full Screen mode. I like having only the two or three windows open that I’m using and using commands to call the markers or sound bites or other windows.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

AND I don’t want them consolidated. I want to be able to put the mixer over here, the sequence over there and the TO back there. I don’t know why I no longer have that choice. ARGGH!!!!!

All the best,

Henry Robinett

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Are you using scaled windows? There is a confirmed bug with them: The tracks overview width resets every time it redraws.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

cuttime wrote:Are you using scaled windows? There is a confirmed bug with them: The tracks overview width resets every time it redraws.
What do you mean by scaled windows? Is this a DP pref or Mac?
All the best,

Henry Robinett

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Henry Robinett wrote:
cuttime wrote:Are you using scaled windows? There is a confirmed bug with them: The tracks overview width resets every time it redraws.
DP>View>Scale>⌘ (+,-)
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Something to try . . . in Consolidated Window Preferences set the max rows in body to 1 and select Mixing Board opens in body. De-select the SE and Mixing Board in the Open in Consolidated Window list. Close both sidebars (shift-[ and shift-]) and click on the Tracks tab. You should just have the TO with the Control Panel. Command-D to clear any selections in the TO. Shift-M to open the Mixing Board and shift-S to open the SE and this should remain stable as three separate windows that don't resize and you can move anywhere. You can also float the Control Panel in Preferences to keep it in view as you switch windows.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
MIDI Life Crisis

You can pop windows in/out of the consolidated window using ctl-1.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

cuttime wrote:
Henry Robinett wrote:
DP>View>Scale>⌘ (+,-)
I don't see that it makes any difference.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

CharlzS wrote:Something to try . . . in Consolidated Window Preferences set the max rows in body to 1 and select Mixing Board opens in body. De-select the SE and Mixing Board in the Open in Consolidated Window list. Close both sidebars (shift-[ and shift-]) and click on the Tracks tab. You should just have the TO with the Control Panel. Command-D to clear any selections in the TO. Shift-M to open the Mixing Board and shift-S to open the SE and this should remain stable as three separate windows that don't resize and you can move anywhere. You can also float the Control Panel in Preferences to keep it in view as you switch windows.
I did most of this already. I have everything deselected in the "open in consolidated window" menu. I have open in the body. I have everything 1 in the Maximum rows, etc.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Do you use Windows Sets? For better or worse you can never get rid of the consolidated window completely. But you can pop out all the windows you want to use, (double click the empty space to the right of the tabs) arrange them on the screen and then save that as a Window Set. You'll have to minimize the CW each time you invoke the window set or open the project, but otherwise the CW will just sit there in the dock. If you use a stable screen setup, this adds a few seconds to your workflow at the start of the project.

An alternative I've used is to set up the CW with just one window, like the Mixer and save that as a window set, and then do the same for all the other windows I'll use. Assign easy to remember key commands to the screenshots. Then you switch quickly from one to the other as you go through the project.

I think the CW can be quite useful. My startup template has a screenset that shows just about every window and panel you can get on a screen at the same time, including stuff that doesn't fit in the CW like bundles. Loads of tracks, outputs, busses, VIs in inactive VRacks -- It's all there. As the project progresses, I move to the other screensets that just do one or two things.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

bayswater - no. Since I hate consolidated windows I don't use window sets. I think it's very studio for MOTU to force this upon users. I don't know why it's so much harder to give the user the option to design it for themselves.

I've struggled with the consolidated window thing for some years now, but I don't see why I have to be forced to work with something if I don't want to. BUT the resizing windows thing it's breaking me.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

MIDI Life Crisis

Henry Robinett wrote: I've struggled with the consolidated window thing for some years now, but I don't see why I have to be forced to work with something if I don't want to. BUT the resizing windows thing it's breaking me.
You don't have to keep consolidated windows. It's a preference...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS