828mk3 hybrid, no usb audio but stand alone mixing works

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
sebaseba33
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828mk3 hybrid, no usb audio but stand alone mixing works

Post by sebaseba33 »

Hi,
I have just obtsined this audio interface from a friend of mine that was moving abroad.
He said he never had a problem with the unit.
The interface stands in the rack with my kemper amp, my idea is to use the unit as an audio interface at home and as a powerful mixer to address all my needs in terms of live monitoring via in-ears during live performances.

I configured the interface without even connecting it to the pc in this way:
IN 1 & 2 - kemper main outs
IN 3 - Kemper monitor OUT (just in case i need it)
IN 8 my monitor mix (without guitars) from the console
S/PDIF IN & OUT to kemper S/PDIF OUT & IN

I created 2 mixes, one for the in ears where I want only IN8 and S/PDIF stereo IN
One to double the main Outs of the kemper if I want ot connect everything via MOTU and not with Kemper.

Everything works fantastic, the meters works and all the auido is correctly routed to the outputs, the limiter and the comp i set up works fine too...

The problem is that if I connect the MOTU to the PC i have not been able to record anything.
I can use cueMix Fx to setup the unit but the meters are dead, not a single signal.

I have reset the motu, reinstalled the drivers but I have never been able to obtain USB audio...

The unit is configured as "USB" in the setup menu for "interface mode"

Am I missing something?
is the unit broken?? I suppose it is only a matter of settings given that the A/D D/A converters are working without problems given that the standalone mixing functions are working fine....

Please help.
I do not want to use such a powerful unit only as a digital mixer...
terrybritton

Re: 828mk3 hybrid, no usb audio but stand alone mixing works

Post by terrybritton »

Uninstall, restart, then reinstall the MOTU Audio drivers. You could restart again, in fact. I used to have this happen intermittently with the Cuemix meters no longer responding, and that always fixed it.
https://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/aud ... _66814.zip

Also, if you can try a different USB port, do so.

I've also heeded this advice at times: Start the computer with the Ultralite turned off, and once you get to the [Windows] password entry, then power up the Ultralite and enter your password.

Good luck! Great units when you get them working smoothly!

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
a7v7

Post by a7v7 »

I have this exact issue down to purchasing the 828mk3H used...

Did all the basics: Installed the drivers, reset the 828mk3H to factory defaults, updated the the 828mk3H firmware to v1.01, and reset to factory defaults (again). I think all the front panel controls work fine. I was able to set gains, set mixes and outputs. I was able to see metering on the front. All looks good. Using CueMixFx, I was able to control the 828mk3H effects and reverb. I was connected to the Master Vol / (MAIN) headphone jack and was able to hear the EQ and the reverb. All seemed fine. The first hint of trouble was that there was no metering in CueMixFx. After a while I realized I wasn't getting any sound through the PC -- everything was going through the local 828mk3H mixer to the outputs.

I think the 828mk3H is working. For the local mixer and DSP to work, the ADCs, DACs, and DSP must work. To control the 828mk3H via USB, USB must be working. So close -- yet so far...

I've run into problems with USB cables in the past -- and this is sending a lot of data. I'm going to try different USB cables (I've tried 2 so far) and different USB ports. On other forums, there were notes that a *real* USB2 port works better than a USB3.

:banghead:

But the main question: Did you resolve this?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

USB 2 generally doesn’t have problems with modern Macs and PCs with USB 3 ports. Yours is not USB 2, however. It’s USB 1.1 if I understand correctly and that often does have problems with USB 3 ports. Going into a USB 2 hub is often the fix.

Many keyboards have USB 1.1 ports such as all wired Apple keyboards. If yours is wireless, that won’t help, of course.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
a7v7

Post by a7v7 »

I followed Terry Britton's advice and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and it worked! No one was more surprised than me. I haven't tested everything, but I was able to record 4 channels and play them back in my DAW. I'm using a much shorter USB cable and the 828mk3h is plugged into a SS-USB port.

Sometimes the simplest things work! Man am I glad!

Hats off to Terry for getting me going!
:woohoo:

ACV
Wtf

Post by Wtf »

Salute
Well that looked as the closest of the headers yet so i am posting. My 828mk3hbrd went dead in terms of the lcd screen, usb connection and front side knobs, however, it is flawless when connected via fw. I can set any parameter as i wish when i fiddle them up through cuemix fx, like switching between phantom or straight but when i turn any of them knobs, the lcd shows a scramble nonetheless. No order in menus or not a linear parameter change is possible when tried manually by the knobs but they all work perfectly by the cuemix interface. As far as i get that the cpu or idk the dsp chip is alright for it is even giving the dynamics and the reverb functions perfectly. I am truly sick of this getting stuck in between a non connecting or responding and also perfectly functioning device situation, idk if i should drop it into the garbage or to keep looking for a sound solution. Also tried resetting but it had not bothered itself to revive open/on when the page is pushed before the boot up and the setup button solution never appeared on the lcd the foretold script either. I was thinking perhaps there might be a way resetting the device by commanding it entirely from the pc but it seemed there only exists solutions that i am obliged to perform with my non properly responding buttons. Dunno what to do with that card really, so maybe someone may have a clear point about the options i am bound onwards.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I don't know if you are aware of this, but MOTU has always offered a replacment program where they send you a fresh refurbished device in exchange for your broken one for $99. I replaced my first 828 mk3 hybrid that way. Call tech support and ask them if they still offer that program.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools