How to use UltraLite mk4 as multichannel DAC on Windows?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
bcodemz
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How to use UltraLite mk4 as multichannel DAC on Windows?

Post by bcodemz »

I just got a UltraLite mk4 with the intention of using it as a 8 channel DAC for my computer. I installed the drivers, but under Windows sound, I see two devices. One is "Speaker" for Motu Pro Audio. The other is "Out 1-24". Under "Speaker", when I press the "Configure" button, it shows only mono and stereo as options, no 7.1 surround.

I cannot set the "Out 1-24" as the default sound output. The button is greyed out.

I read Motu's guide on computer audio here

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... diostreams

It asks me to look for the Device Tab, and look for the Computer Setup section. Except, there is no "Computer Setup" section in my Device tab.

Any help is greatly appreciated
DevonCM

Re: How to use UltraLite mk4 as multichannel DAC on Windows?

Post by DevonCM »

I'm wondering exactly the same thing. Did you ever find a solution?

I just got the 828es to replace my UltraLite mk3 Hybrid, where I had several stereo pairs in Windows playback devices. Now it's just the one stereo and the useless multichannel. What the hell?!

UPDATE: MOTU let me know that it needs to be enabled in the registry, and gave me the link to this file: https://cdn-data.motu.com/django_prod/t ... NewReg.reg
In case that link ever breaks, here are its contents:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MOTU]
"StereoKSStreamCount"=dword:00000018

That sets 24 stereo inputs and outputs, if you want a different amount you can change that dword value.
TimRideout

Post by TimRideout »

Is this registry setting valid for the AVB line of products?
chroenmeister

Post by chroenmeister »

For me (with Ultralite AVB) it is not the answer of the questions. Yes, it generates a lot of stereo outputs for windows, but for me they are all useless and no audio is routed outside. I think, we need one usable 5.1 or 7.1 configurable wdm output. Maybe another registry entry?
ccclapp

Post by ccclapp »

Hi

I am a new user and wondering if this is working to expose UltraLite channels to non ASIO apps in windows, such as Zoom etc etc?

Thanks for your help
evilstiefel

Post by evilstiefel »

I can confirm this registry key adds the stereo devices to the Windows Device Manager alongside the e.g. 1-24 channel device. I'm able to route audio through Windows by selecting the appropriate stereo pair as the device for each application. I use this with the MOTU 624 AVB.