EXPORT chunk to DP project?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

EXPORT chunk to DP project?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You never know that you don't need something until you need it. Today, I really wanted to modify an existing (older) DP Project to repurpose a particular sequence into a new work. It would have been really handy to be able to have an option in the dropdown menu that added "SAVE SEQUENCE (CHUNK) TO A NEW DP PROJECT FILE" similar to the way you can duplicate the chunk or the layout.

The file I'm pulling the sequence from is a very large project (done in DP 7) and I don't want to change the file in the least, so I don't want to resave or 'save as.' And yes, there are many workarounds. Save as and delete; save and restore from backup. Or LOAD from the regional file. But the original file had at least 10 tracks and three VIs I don't need, so if I load from the original, I'll get all that stuff in the new project (which is already quite large).

I know, this is in the weeds, but I'm just throwing it out there:

SAVE TO NEW DP PROJECT option for not yet saved CHUNKS has all sorts of ramifications for me. Anyone else, or am I wrong? (Note: I'm often wrong... lol)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Re: EXPORT chunk to DP project?

Post by Gravity Jim »

It's a bit more screwing around, but could you just Load the chunk into the new sequence?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Gravity Jim wrote:It's a bit more screwing around, but could you just Load the chunk into the new sequence?
I haven't been able to try is yet but my concern (as in the o/p) is that I don't want all the VIs to import as they are quite large in both projects. Maybe they won't be included but I don't want to chance bloating the projects.

Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

You can save a sequence as a clipping (highlight in Chunks window and Copy to Clipping), then drop that clipping into the Chunks window in a new session.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
MIDI Life Crisis

CharlzS wrote:You can save a sequence as a clipping (highlight in Chunks window and Copy to Clipping), then drop that clipping into the Chunks window in a new session.
Oh, duh! Thanks. Forgot all about friggin' clippings. Must be getting old. I just now started understanding VCA tracks. lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

CharlzS wrote:You can save a sequence as a clipping (highlight in Chunks window and Copy to Clipping), then drop that clipping into the Chunks window in a new session.
Good luck resetting all your VI bundles doing that... it would be the perfect solution, if it worked properly.

Has this been corrected in DP100?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

FMiguelez wrote: Has this been corrected in DP100?
[emphasis added]

Man, I have some updating to do!

:rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

FMiguelez wrote:
Good luck resetting all your VI bundles doing that... it would be the perfect solution, if it worked properly.

Has this been corrected in DP100?
No, it does not work properly. Actually may be getting worse - not just VIs, but every output, even if you import the bundles. That's pretty messed up. Sorry for the suggestion.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1