Warmth, clarity, openess

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Warmth, clarity, openess

Post by Phil O »

Another one of my rants, but I'll keep it short. I'm tired of gear (particularly microphone) comparisons where folks chime in about how this one sounds warmer, that one is clearly the winner, etc. I'll share with you my favorite mic shoot out where there are ample replies on which mic is which. You can skip ahead to the reveal in video 3 if you like, as there's a quick replay of the original clips there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNEwFEG8Aj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhiiZBbO8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRCz0s4_5g

enjoy
Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Re: Warmth, clarity, openess

Post by stubbsonic »

I have often wondered why EQ is so often ignored in conversations about mic comparisons.

If you have several mics with fairly subtle differences in tone, can't those differences be mitigated by judicious use of EQ (which would be used anyway)?

There are differences that might have to do with response to transients and why some mics can handle things like toms, hats, horns, etc. And those do require more specific mics. And if you have a vocal mic that works well with not much fuss, then that has a value in and of itself.

Take my comment with a grain of salt. My mic "inventory" (and that's a grandiose word to refer to my milk crate with a dozen or so mics) is mostly sub $200 mics. My best mic is a 4033.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Then there's never a mention of proper input impedance and its effect on frequency and transient response. This is more of a dynamic mic issue.

I wish that study involving the SM57 was still online. All links to it are now dead. Too bad...
where folks chime in about how this one sounds warmer
How many of those armchair idio... experts even know that warm is on the opposite end of the tonal spectrum from bright?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I remember doing that mod you recommended (I think it was you, MH), to my 57s and they sounded better. IIRC, that was largely a change in impedance.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:I remember doing that mod you recommended (I think it was you, MH), to my 57s and they sounded better. IIRC, that was largely a change in impedance.
Glad you brought this up. I was going to do that, and got the resistors, but wondered if it would make any difference. How do you mean, better? Phat? Open? Warm? Close? Defined? Airy? Insolent? :sorry:

Seriously though, do you use it more for anything where you would have used something else?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:I remember doing that mod you recommended (I think it was you, MH), to my 57s and they sounded better. IIRC, that was largely a change in impedance.
Changing the output impedance was all it did—and that was enough. Too bad that link is dead as the article was quite detailed on the what/how/why it worked.

The Shure SM7/57/58 have a rated output impedance of 150Ω, ideal for the old Bell Telephone 600Ω input spec. How many of us remember the Shure VocalMaster (Input Impedance ......... .320 ohms lnput Attenuator "Out" 500 ohms lnput Attenuator "In")

Modern solid state mic preamps as found on mixers are 1800–2400 with 2200Ω being typical. Wiring a resister in parallel drops the input impedance as a dynamic mic sees it to properly load the voice coil.

I later figured out that a 1KΩ variable resister in a box lets you tune the response and you can hear for yourself. As you get closer to the ideal load, bass response gets tighter and high freq. ring is severely reduced. Cymbals sound natural and proximity effect is reduced. Toms and amps are not as likely to sound distorted so maybe you don't want to do that.

An SM7 and SM57 use the same capsule. The SM57 uses an output transformer to boost the output while the SM7 does not—just a couple of filter circuits.
https://pubs.shure.com/guide/SM7B/en-US

The CloudLifter Z is nothing more than a variable resister in a really clean, 2-stage boost box. I use it on my SM7 plus my Shure 315 and sE VR1 passive ribbon mics. You can hear a big difference as you twist the knob.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -impedance

I don't know the resistor spec but will guess that it's probably 2.5KΩ or higher. The instructions suggest that you tune by ear since the output, variable & input are in parallel with each other.

Most AKG dynamic mics, by comparison, have a 600Ω rated output making the ideal input load 2400Ω.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I thought I'd saved the article, but all I saved was the link. Doh!. But I did keep this note:

698 ohm resistor; the cable connected the male to the female plug in the usual fashion, while the resistor was soldered between pins 2 and 3 of the male.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

This thread doesn’t warm my heart as much as the New Mac Pro one, but there is more clarity and somewhat more openness. What we need is a topic shootout. Motunation members must face.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I honestly can't tell you exactly what I thought was better. Roughly, it sound like a low-mid hump (proximity?) was reduced, and the highs sounded more accurate -- i.e., as opposed to a "presence bump" in the high mid, it seemed flattened out and more natural. But I may be as susceptible to the placebo effect as the next schmo (if I'm honest, I don't think I am. I'm pretty comfortable saying "I don't hear a difference, when I don't.)

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote:Then there's never a mention of proper input impedance and its effect on frequency and transient response.
Indeed!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

stubbsonic wrote:I have often wondered why EQ is so often ignored in conversations about mic comparisons.

If you have several mics with fairly subtle differences in tone, can't those differences be mitigated by judicious use of EQ (which would be used anyway)?

There are differences that might have to do with response to transients and why some mics can handle things like toms, hats, horns, etc. And those do require more specific mics. And if you have a vocal mic that works well with not much fuss, then that has a value in and of itself.

Take my comment with a grain of salt. My mic "inventory" (and that's a grandiose word to refer to my milk crate with a dozen or so mics) is mostly sub $200 mics. My best mic is a 4033.
Certainly EQ can reduce differences in the way different mics sound, and I believe if mics are gain matched and EQ'd to produce similar freq. response plots then the differences we hear will all be about transient response, settling time, off axis coloration, etc., etc. In other words the differences will be subtle. And that has been my experience. Even after I audition several mics for a vocalist and pick the one we think is best, in the end (after EQ, compression, or whatever crap I decide to put on the track) the differences are subtle.

Some may argue that subtlety (did I spell that right?) makes all the difference in the world, but in my experience I've found if the song is good and the arrangement is good and the performance is good, no one notices what mic you used on the guitar cab.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This thread doesn’t warm my heart as much as the New Mac Pro one, but there is more clarity and somewhat more openness. What we need is a topic shootout. Motunation members must face.
:rofl:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Phil O wrote: Some may argue that subtlety (did I spell that right?) makes all the difference in the world, but in my experience I've found if the song is good and the arrangement is good and the performance is good, no one notices what mic you used on the guitar cab.

Yup.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote:
Phil O wrote: Some may argue that subtlety (did I spell that right?) makes all the difference in the world, but in my experience I've found if the song is good and the arrangement is good and the performance is good, no one notices what mic you used on the guitar cab.

Yup.
Yup yup.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

HCMarkus wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:

Yup.
Yup yup.
Let's insert, "if the mix is good."