Best way to use RX7 standard with DP 9.52

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Best way to use RX7 standard with DP 9.52

Post by sayatnova »

Hello Everyone,

I am about to record and mix an important project. I just upgraded to RX7 standard from 6. I am looking at the best way to get the most from this toolset, if needed. I have searched this site and tried to find DP specific info on the iZotope website, as well. I was not able to find anything for DP and the implementation of the iZotope connect to round trip edits with RX7. I see past issues and bugs listed for RX6 on this forum, but wonder how things were for RX7? Any one have some experience with this? Is it working as expected? I know I can send it out to the stand alone version of RX, but it would be nice if the round trip worked as advertised from a convenience point of view!

Thank you for the help and info.

~Shea A.J. Comfort
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best way to use RX7 standard with DP 9.52

Post by mikehalloran »

What are you trying to do? What problem are you trying to solve?

A lot changes between each version of RX so whatever problems you read about in v.6 may not apply to 7.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the reply. It is not about a specific problem, it is whether I can use RX7 as a send-return in DP without problems, in general. Basically, is it working well? This was a general exploratory question.

Thank you.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

sayatnova wrote:Hello Mike,

Thank you for the reply. It is not about a specific problem, it is whether I can use RX7 as a send-return in DP without problems, in general. Basically, is it working well? This was a general exploratory question.

Thank you.
No. That uses RX Connect. There are no problems in DP since it doesn’t support that at all.

Here’s the list of apps that do support RX Connect and how to use it as an external audio editor in DP:
https://www.izotope.com/en/support/know ... t-faq.html

When you are trying to solve specific problems, it is often better to use it as a plug-in. How best depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what problems you need to solve.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I use RX almost exclusively for de-noising select audio snippets, usually removing spurious transient noises (often acoustic guitar or lip smacks) or hum or hiss on an instrument's fade (often an overdriven electric guitar amp or a cluster of Ivory piano notes decaying into silence at the end of a song). As such, for me, using RX stand-alone and dragging and dropping audio to and from the app allows me to reach my goals with minimum hassle.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:I use RX almost exclusively for de-noising select audio snippets, usually removing spurious transient noises (often acoustic guitar or lip smacks) or hum or hiss on an instrument's fade (often an overdriven electric guitar amp or a cluster of Ivory piano notes decaying into silence at the end of a song). As such, for me, using RX stand-alone and dragging and dropping audio to and from the app allows me to reach my goals with minimum hassle.
On a particularly noisy track requiring a lot of cleanup, yes.

For just hitting snippets, I prefer this:
https://www.izotope.com/en/support/know ... ormer.html

For lip smacks and hum, the most common problems I face, I use it as a plugin selecting Dehum & Mouth Declick.

Mouth Declick is a miracle tool as far as I'm concerned. When I first saw it (RX 5 or 6 Advanced?), I thought, Yea, right... Then I used it on a child's vocal. Holy cow! How did I live without it? I'm doing a lot of remastering for box sets and compilation CDs and often, that's the only tool I add to my original mixes.

I normally use RX Advanced but one of my bundles includes Standard so I tried that instead on a recent project. Now that Mouth Declick included in RX 7 Standard along with Deplosive and Deverb (both former Advanced only tools), I no longer feel that Advanced is necessary for most music engineers. Dialog editors and those of us doing restoration still need Advanced.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

That looks like a good workflow Mike. I'll try it. Thanks!
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Thanks Mike and everyone.

So, the fact that DP does not support roundtrip with the RX Connect means use it for basic things as a plugin, and offline for more intensive work. Understood. That's fine for me.

Mike: I assume the link you posted for using RX as the external editor and overwriting the file in DP will work in RX7 and DP 9.52? I ask because it is listed for RX4 on the iZotope website. Just want to be sure about that. Also, I assume that will be a destructive process? No way to keep the original sound file intact if I need to go back to that?

Thank you for the help and info.

~Shea
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP can use any of a number of external editors. The basics outlined in the Izotope doc can be used in a number of external editors—or use the editing tools that MOTU provides.

Waveform editing in DP is destructive–not everything can be undone. It’s tricky but rarely will you ge in trouble that way. It’s possible to way overthink this. That’s why what you are trying to fix and how should be considered. Plugins, like splicing, copying, deleting etc. are not destructive, for example.

There are ways to restore destructive alteration but not always within DP. For example, APFS Snapshots can undo everything by reverting to a previous state if the work file and DP are on the boot drive—only had to do that once but some corrupt audio so totally screwed up a project, it was the only way other than a Time Machine restore.

I always have my raw audio in a separate folder inside the project folder. To avoid confusion and betraying my lack of imagination back in ‘98, I always label if Raw Audio. Go figure. Those are the files I drop into DP which makes a copy. Recording directly into DP doesn’t make this copy so I always do so before I begin editing.
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Excellent information, Mike. Thank you.

~Shea
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If worried about undo, you can always use the method I described, drag & drop from DP into RX and back again. This creates a new soundbite in DP, so the original is preserved.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Everytime I see this thread title I think this:
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

philbrown wrote:Everytime I see this thread title I think this:
I know, right?

I had an RX15 then upgraded to an RX11. Never had a 7 or 5 but I still think of Yamaha drum machines when I see the title.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I had a Yamaha RX11, too. Really not so great, but I did a ton of duo and trio gigs with it back in the day.

It was my need to carry more song programs than the RX11 onboard memory allowed (combined with the need to write a small business college term paper) that ended up with my brother in law and I designing and manufacturing the FourPlay Data Cartridge for the RX11 and DX7. We sold about 1,000 units, and I never ran short on RX memory space again.

The RX7 was a big improvement, but the little ol' Alesis SR16 really worked well for gigs for me, with its fill/pattern change foot switch. Used that one for years.

I'm not sure how many orders of magnitude the advances incorporated in iZotope's RX7 are beyond the drum machines of yore, but the things today's software can accomplish were not even a glint in the eye back then.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Probably in one of Mikes descriptions but...I use RX all the time.
While the RX connect doesn't work, you can set up an RX as the external audio editor:

Audio Menu/
Use External Waveform Editor
Then choose RX as your editor.

Select the Soundbite you want to clean up and goto:

Audio Menu/
Edit in Waveform Editor (shift+8)

Audio opens in the RX standalone app.
Do whatever processing you want and then once done you have a couple of choices...
Overwrite the original file
Export Selection

Overwriting the original file will replace (overwrite) the soundbite in your DP project. This works just like the round trip using RX connect

Or Export Selection which makes a new file that can be dragged into your DP project and leave the original audio untouched.