Motu 16A Windows audio routing

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
lbcbdr
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu 16A Windows audio routing

Post by lbcbdr »

I have a 16a connected to windows 10 via USB. Playing audio via Youtube goea to outs 1 and 2 Is there a way to expose other outputs to windows so Ican route windows audio to different outputs. With my old PCI 424 / 2408-24i system all outputs were available in the windows sound control panel so I could route audio fro itunes/youtube...to any of my studio monitors.

THanks LBC
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu 16A Windows audio routing

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm a Mac guy, running an 828es and all I/O is available on my system. I'm sure you'll get it sorted; if no-one checks I here, call MOTU and they will get you rolling.
lbcbdr

Post by lbcbdr »

Thanks for the reply I found how to do it via the routing page
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

I have the same problem: I only see "In 1-2 (MOTU Pro Audio)" and "In 1-24 (MOTU Pro Audio)" in Windows.

How did you get access to individual inputs?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Is your interface publishing its outputs to your computer? As the OP noted in his followup, the Routing Matrix can get your computer access to multiple outputs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5t1sAj ... 4I&index=8
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Yes it does, but in a weird way. I get two sets of outputs and two sets of inputs:

"Speakers" (outputs 1-2)
"Out 1-24" (outputs 1-24 out of 16, bundled into one weird multichannel thing)
"In 1-2" (inputs 1-2)
"In 1-24" (inputs 1-24 out of 16, bundled into one weird multichannel thing)

The youtube shows a part of the UI that I don't have: "Computer Setup". I'm attaching screenshots of both for comparison. Any ideas are welcome.

Youtube:

Mine:

I've tried all sorts of different routings, which all works quite well in ASIO, but WaveOut / MME doesn't seem to reflect these changes at all.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If your interface firmware is up to date, a few options may appear on a different page than in any particular video.

I'd suggest reaching out to MOTU directly if you are unable to resolve this. I run a Mac, so my ability to assist further is limited
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Thank you for assistance. In a streak of pure luck combined with searching the internet a few dozen times more I've found this hidden feature on another forum, where someone also noticed the shortcomings of the driver's default behavior. Basically adding this key to the registry database enables inputs and outputs 3-4 and up for the Motu 16A card:

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MOTU]
"StereoKSStreamCount"=dword:00000010
Dear Motu, could you please add all possible hidden registry keys to the manual? Because without this information, a large amount of software for Windows will only be able to use inputs and outputs 1-2. Even Windows 10's own control panel is more or less incompatible with inputs and outputs 3-16 without this.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I sent this to MOTU via a Techlink. You may wish to do the same Joachip. Thanks for sharing here!
Joachip

Enabling all inputs and outputs on Motu 16A

Post by Joachip »

I've made a tool to make it easier for Windows users to get access to inputs and outputs 3 and up (when not using ASIO). I hope this helps someone.

https://www.robotplanet.dk/audio/motu/M ... nabler.zip

It simply sets the above registry key. If you set the slider to the lowest value, the added key will be removed (which is the factory default).

After using the tool, you should have access to all inputs and outputs in Windows control panel, like this:

Tip: If you rename the inputs from "In 7-8" to "In 07-08" the leading zeroes will sometimes cause the inputs and outputs to be sorted correctly. Without renaming they will most certainly always be sorted wrong.