Unwanted ads, Cookies

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Unwanted ads, Cookies

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:
bayswater wrote:Little Snitch?
I tried it once, and I HATED it!

It was the most annoying and demanding little thing in the world. It makes a whiny 4-year-old seem independent and mature by comparison.

I know it takes time to "train the computer", but I never knew what to do with the warnings and notices I got after almost any operation... they sounded anywhere form innocent to quite scary, and researching each LS complaint to know what each thing was was a waste of time.

I was glad when I deleted it from my computers!

However, something tells me I didn't really give it a chance.

Nah! I hated it!
Is IS a huge PITA at first. There is help button to tell you what is known about the places that the Mac is trying to contact and you can use that to decide is you want the connection to proceed. After a little while, LS has pretty much figured out all the places that you consider safe and it stops nagging you.

That initial few days can be quite an eye opener when you access what seems to be a very benign site and see warnings that your computer is trying to access dozens if not hundreds of advertising tracking sites.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Unwanted ads, Cookies

Post by monkey man »

Indeed, Stoivo!

'Nando, when you say, "It was the most annoying and demanding little thing in the world. It makes a whiny 4-year-old seem independent and mature by comparison.", consider the fact that the sheer volume of connection alerts you received was a measure of how much covert tracking etc. was occurring.

One can't have it both ways. You install LS 'cause you're concerned about nefarious shenanigans, and then when you're alerted to the alarming number of unseen goings-on, it's annoying like a kid. I get that, but the big picture has to be borne in mind. No pain, no gain, brother. :lol:

As Baysie suggested, the in-app explanations, available within the pop-up alerts, are ever-improving in their content. Also, you can experiment with various time limits and even blocking "once" in order to determine whether or not a connection is critical to a site's functionality, for instance.

Honestly, I have nothing but praise for LS. Worth it for the social-media blackout I've imposed on my 'puter alone, and certainly worth every cent. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here