alternate reverb for motu 1248 mixing software

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
emptyvessel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

alternate reverb for motu 1248 mixing software

Post by emptyvessel »

Hi Im finally getting around to using the reverb channel in my 1248 mixer (AVB its called?) but its really not ideal for me. It has far too pronounced of a delay, no matter the settings (using it on snare sounds terrible) Is it possible to import different reverb types?
Im guessing I could use a plugin from Logic too? I find this mixer to be a bit daunting and Im not sure I could set that routing up without very step by step instructions, which I would be grateful for, if thats my only option!
HCMarkus

Re: alternate reverb for motu 1248 mixing software

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm not a fan of the AVB Series reverb either, but am quite certain you cannot import any alternate algorithms into your interface.

I use a Lexicon hardware reverb connected to the SPDIF i/o on my 828ES. An Aux send routed to SPDIF Out allows me to use it on multiple inputs simultaneously with the AVB Mixer. t works great as a monitor 'verb while tracking. I can also send DAW signal to the Lexicon and print any FX if I prefer it over a plugin.

As you note, you could also route thru your DAW for reverb but, given the fact you don't like the built-in AVB reverb's delay, latency could be an issue while tracking.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Would latency be less of an issue if I used an external reverb? Could anyone help me understand how to route this?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

emptyvessel wrote:Would latency be less of an issue if I used an external reverb?
Yes. It would be a non-issue if using the built-in AVB Mixer.

To accomplish this, connect your reverb box to your 1248. I use the SPDIF i/o on my 828es, but you can use any available physical inputs and outputs to connect your reverb in mono or (stereo).

Use the Routing Matrix to connect your preferred AVB Mixer Aux Output(s) to the chosen physical outputs.
Connect the chosen physical inputs to AVB Mixer input(s).
Use the chosen Aux as a reverb send. Don't turn this Aux up on the reverb return mixer channels or you will get a feedback loop.
TimRideout
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by TimRideout »

I agree that the onboard reverb for the MOTU 1248 sounds terrible - it's like I'm in a cave with very bizarre discreet echoes. I have not found any setting that I enjoy, even after 5 years with this (otherwise excellent) interface.

Does anyone have any downloadable presets to share?