Companies that get indie music to music supervisors

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
funkyfreddy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Companies that get indie music to music supervisors

Post by funkyfreddy »

Hi, I'm looking for companies that get independent music to music supervisors for Film, Advertisers, and Television.

I've dealt with Taxi and Pump Audio. I have mixed feelings about both. Right now I'd like to see who else is out there. Please give me your thoughts and recommendations when you can.

Many Thanks! Fred
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
FMiguelez

Re: Companies that get indie music to music supervisors

Post by FMiguelez »

Become friends with the sups.

It seems EVERYONE is chasing this same bone these days. The competition for the few gigs left that still pay well with sync and performance royalties is beyond brutal (that's why middle men like companies you mentioned exist. They pray in peoples' dreams to become the next Sean Callery, while they keep extracting money from you with questionable (if real at all) "gig opportunities".

Some are a little better than others, but in general, you really have to be very careful... Just read their contracts and conditions.... Too many are voltures.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

As one supe I know says, "I don't ever need your music—except when I do and then it's by 5PM tomorrow." She works for a few shows and places oh 5–10 fragments of new songs by unknowns a year.

She wants short email introductions with links so that, when she's looking, she can click on a few seconds of your tracks to see if there's a good fit. Yep, a few seconds is all you get.

Such email should contain your contact info and assurances that you can deliver any of the linked tunes with all permissions pre-cleared. A short sentence of stating that you can edit as she needs (drop verses, instrumental only are common requirements) is a good idea.

If, out of the thousands of those she has on file, you get a response, the $ offer and terms are not negotiable. You might make more from your PRO anyway. The only acceptable response to anything she asks is, "yes".

If you can't deliver on everything at the drop of a hat, an intro email is a waste of your time and hers. A response is unlikely but, waste her time once, you will never be given that opportunity again.

As far as I know, she is typical of those who do what she does.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

OMG, Mike... That was so.... real, truthful, harsh and blunt.
And SO TRUE, IME!

I particularly enjoyed and giggled when I read this>
mikehalloran wrote:..."I don't ever need your music—except when I do and then it's by 5PM tomorrow."...
If, out of the thousands of those she has on file, you get a response, the $ offer and terms are not negotiable.
You might make more from your PRO anyway. The only acceptable response to anything she asks is, "yes".
:lol:

These sups must have some hilarious stories about composers wanting "in"...
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Yes, I’ve tried Taxi on and off for years, pretty fed up with them. Lots of stuff forwarded, equal amount of material rejected, only heard from one opportunity, and this was years ago. Not sure why I continue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
dix

Post by dix »

greg328 wrote:Yes, I’ve tried Taxi on and off for years, pretty fed up with them. Lots of stuff forwarded, equal amount of material rejected, only heard from one opportunity, and this was years ago. Not sure why I continue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, Taxi is sort of a scam. My brother worked there for years. He said they were great at giving honest feedback to songwriters, but placements were rare to non-existent.

I use to advise people to become friends with picture editors. That's essentially how I got started as a composer, but many (most?) TV series these days have exclusive deals with big music libraries like Pump, Jingle Punks etc, and are not allowed to use any tracks from outside. For films, especially independent films, things are not quite as closed off, but that's not the best route to the broadcast backend $.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

greg328 wrote:Yes, I’ve tried Taxi on and off for years, pretty fed up with them. Lots of stuff forwarded, equal amount of material rejected, only heard from one opportunity, and this was years ago. Not sure why I continue with them.
I've heard Taxi is one of the few good ones (or "least worse" ones, depending on your POV) when it comes to that particular business model.

Many other similar companies, and even Taxi itself, have been accused, many times, of bogus "opportunities" and made up gigs to extract money from people. The evidence seems to agree, since it's apparently quite rare to see the actual winners with the actual real aired video placement.

You would think they would proudly and loudly display every big placement from their members as great publicity. Nobody could argue with that... Yet, their websites seem unexplainably quiet when it comes to details and specifics of gigs won by members with actual real placements.

Some critics think they make up the gigs, get the needed funds from the massive response they get from composers, and they finance "the money price" from said funds. The math certainly works (in their favour, of course)...

Hmmmm.... I wonder if.... Never mind. You get the idea.

Your own experience seems to at least not disagree with any of that.

Either way, Taxi seems to be the more serious one and professional from the bunch ( ! )
I take it you've gone through their forum and taken the temperature there?

My suggestion would be to skip the middle men and go to the libraries directly. And this is a whole different beast too... Most seem worse than described in so many ways. There are so many bogus libs and shady models with outrageous policies (to their favour, of course), that it makes you wonder if sweeping streets wouldn't have been a better career choice.

There are a few good ones, but you're essentially competing against Zimmer and his emporium and the likes. The quality and skills required are insane. Just look them up in YouTube and check them out for yourself... You'd be listening to some of the best produced music the planet has to offer.

That's what we're up against. Not imposible at all. But it's still quite unlikely. There are thousands of guys like you and I.

The other day I was reading something about what's coming up next.... At this very moment, I forgot how many, but there are literally dozens of millions of Chinese students working their buts off to become amazing pianists after being inspired by Lang Lang and Yuja Wang. And we all know how good even average Asians are, due to their typical unmatched discipline and stamina. As far as composers go, well, the numbers were as high... Soon well add many millions more of talented and trained composers fighting for the same bone. Man, I just hope there are as many future student directors and gig opportunities grow in proportion. I doubt it and don't believe it myself, but I hope it...

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

These sups must have some hilarious stories about composers wanting "in"...
No doubt. I've heard some of the stories of composers/artists balking at terms:

”We need the first verse and chorus without the intro plus 45 seconds instrumental only from the chorus. Please send two version: with and without an instrument playing the melody.”
That wouldn't be true to my song
“Next.”
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Abramoluna1
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Abramoluna1 »

Yes this is the trendy issue as per now!
You should not mind doing the grade!
Oleg Vostyakov
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Oleg Vostyakov »

funkyfreddy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:10 am Hi, I'm looking for companies that get independent music to music supervisors for Film, Advertisers, and Television.

I've dealt with Taxi and Pump Audio. I have mixed feelings about both. Right now I'd like to see who else is out there. Please give me your thoughts and recommendations when you can.

Many Thanks! Fred
I don't know any of them in Switzerland :deadhorse: