Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 available now

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 available now

Post by dix »

VE Pro 7 is out. Anyone plan on jumping in early? I have several ongoing large projects that have intimate relationships with VEP6 so it may be a bit before I try it. I’d love to hear any reports from any brave users that give it a go. ...ideally, from VE guru Steve Steele before making the attempt.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Software/Vienna_Ensemble_Pro
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Re: Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 available now

Post by mhschmieder »

I may be ready to give it a try, as I put the finishing touches on final track review of my jazz album late last night so am interesting in seeing whether Vienna Ensemble will help my workflow as I finally head into the long-overdue mixing stage of this project.

As I have only toyed with Vienna Ensemble over the years and never got around to making it an active part of my workflow or templates, I at least won't have to worry about compatibility with VE Pro 6. But as VE Pro 6 was very unstable and crash-prone in DP, Logic, and Studio One (maybe Cubase as well; I forget), I am hoping that at least that situation has improved with VE Pro 7.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dix

Post by dix »

Cool. Let me know if you think it’s worth trying out. I still haven’t seen any really compelling new features that make me want to try it.

Re VE Pro stability. Hmm. I can only recall VEP6 crashing one time for me over several years of heavy use, so increased stability isn’t a factor for me. A decrease is what I’m hoping to avoid. ...ironically that crash occurred when I tried to instantiate the new Vienna Synchron instrument into an existing template.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Due to DP having the best plug-in manager in the industry, by a factor of at least ten, it is sometimes hard to know what would be a problem in DP for a plug-in one isn't actively using all the time. I think the VE Pro issues with DP were fixed a while back.

It's the other DAW's where instability of plug-in validation at the DAW level and especially within VE Pro -- which does its own plug-in hosting validation -- never seemed to get into shape (especially for Studio One, which I use ironically almost exclusively for quarantining new plug-ins to deem safe for use in critical-path DP projects or not).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dix

Post by dix »

There a whole lotta posts on VI-Control about this, including several about plugin validation. It looks like 7 is more discriminating than 6, which may address some of what you’re referring to. No posts yet about the MAS version that I see.

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... 97/page-22
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

guys, I'm going to follow your progress carefully, as I'm just get back to VEPro after a 3-4 year absense. So, I've already downloaded and installed VEPro7, but there are a couple of concerns right off teh bat. Perhaps you all could offer thgouhts?
(1.) I couldn't actually open VEPro7, as it couldn't find a license on eLicenser, as eLicenser couldn't find a valid license, cause blah, blah, blah....whatever, I'll sort this one out with VSL
(2.) when I tried to open an isntance of VEPro7 stereo in a DP file, it told me to go off and read the "Important Notes for Digital Performer Users" in the VEPro7 manual....
o.k., did that. but I noted that the first section of the "Important notes....blah, blah" page is all about setting DP for "All Plugins in Real Time"...isn't that a non-issue after DP9?
(3.) next thing I read on the "Important notes....blah, blah" page, is teh comment "Bouncing (offline rendering) does not work when using Audio Unit Event Input ot Audio Input plugins..." and I'm begining to think, "...maybe *this* is why I bailed on VEPro 3-4 years ago? I use Bounce - not Freeze - *all* the time - - couldn't work without it. So will I no longer be able to "Bounce" MIDI -> audio with VEPro7?
hmmm....
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
bralston

Post by bralston »

Willie,

1. If you are using VEPro in DP you will 100% want to be using the MAS version. I would even go into the DP plug-in preferences window and just uncheck the installed AU and VST versions of VEPro for DP to be sure. The MAS version can handle multiple MIDI ports (48 with 16 channels each) in just one VEPro instance....AU version 2 spec by design is one MIDI port with 16 channels only. AU version 3 spec opens more MIDI ports but that is in Beta and not really solid yet. When using the MAS version....no Event input is needed like the old days before Vienna did MAS version to get other MIDI ports or anything....it works as designed and intended. AND.....Off-line bounce works just fine with the MAS version.

2. DP9 and now DP10 with their "next gen-pregen" rendering in the back ground do not work with an outside the program host like VEPro. VIs have to be hosted in DP for that to work. As a result...VEPro always runs in real time in DP. That is likely what that is referring to.

3. As for you eLicenser....you need to make sure you are running the latest eLicenser software from Steinberg...and also be sure you have taken your authorization code in your MyVSL account for VEPro7 and added it to your USB Steinberg Key dongle for VEPro7....or if you are not using a USB Steinberg key...to the eLicenser soft-key on your system through eLicenser.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I will definitely need a bunch of input as to what VEP7 gives that 6 doesnt have. 6 is superb here in the MAS version.

Very confused so far with 7s offerings.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
dix

Post by dix »

labman wrote:I will definitely need a bunch of input as to what VEP7 gives that 6 doesnt have. 6 is superb here in the MAS version.

Very confused so far with 7s offerings.
Yes. Me too. Since VEP 6 is basically flawless for me, I'm in no hurry. I'll need to see some pretty compelling reasons to switch.

There's a ton of functionality in VE I don't need or use. I think a lot of the new features may be for VE power-users.
dix

Post by dix »

The YouTube page of Steve Steele, who I mentioned in the OP, says a VE Pro 7 with Kontakt 6 How-to is in the works. I'll definitely wait until I see that before I upgrade. ...along with some help from MN users, I based my VE workflow on his videos.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

dix wrote:VE Pro 7 is out. Anyone plan on jumping in early? I have several ongoing large projects that have intimate relationships with VEP6 so it may be a bit before I try it. I’d love to hear any reports from any brave users that give it a go. ...ideally, from VE guru Steve Steele before making the attempt.

Ah yes, the Ol' "point zero" dive! I'm a shakn' like a lil' boy at the neighborhood swimming pool 1st day of summer...Cant jump, can't jump in......
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

dix wrote:VE Pro 7 is out. Anyone plan on jumping in early? I have several ongoing large projects that have intimate relationships with VEP6 so it may be a bit before I try it. I’d love to hear any reports from any brave users that give it a go. ...ideally, from VE guru Steve Steele before making the attempt.

I just jumped in last night and I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of the various concepts of routing. Why would anyone put themselves through all of this configuring? What is the benefit of this program other than workflow? I'm brand new to this. I stayed up and watched a few Youtube videos. I don't get it yet. What is the purpose of this program? What is the intended result?
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

ronjams wrote:I just jumped in last night and I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of the various concepts of routing. Why would anyone put themselves through all of this configuring? What is the benefit of this program other than workflow? I'm brand new to this. I stayed up and watched a few Youtube videos. I don't get it yet. What is the purpose of this program? What is the intended result?
Did you see this overview by Steve Steele?

Terry

Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

BTW - they throw in a 70 gigabyte orchestral library for free with this one, and many feel that alone is worth the price of admission. Plus, the EQ, compressor and other plugins included with VEP7 contain presets tailor-made for specific instruments and ensembles.

Pretty neat. I went for it. This is my first exposure to VEP.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

I've been using VEPro & DP for a few years. So far, the upgrade to VEPro 7 along with the upgrade to DP10 has proven stable for my needs.

:headbang:
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.