New features for DP's next update?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New features for DP's next update?

Post by FMiguelez »

Isn't it tradition that MOTU almost always adds new features in their first updates right after a big upgrade such as DP9 to DP10?

IIRC, it usually takes them 2-3 months, they work out most new bugs related to the new version, and they add new stuff as they work on and release the updates.

Do you think we have reasons to expect the same this time?
If so, what would you like to see in the next update?

Wanna speculate about the DP10.01 ETA? I say June the 5th...

:unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: New features for DP's next update?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You really want to rehash what's not in DP that we'd love? OK, but this could be a pretty long thread... :rofl:

Chunk Folders

Random savable selections (similar to clippings) but color coded and namable, selecting any set of data in a chunk.

Renaming chunks to sequences.

Eliminating the default key binding for cmd-f and have it go to FIND instead of VIEW FILTER, thus preventing many heart attacks, strokes, and cases of explosive diarrhea.

Bring back the Unicorn, maybe a logo of it pooping on a pile of all the other DAWs.

Paper manuals. Personally, I prefer PDF manuals, but I do miss hunting for trolls who are using bootlegged copies. :unicorn:

And finally, please install a Hit Maker button that applies just the right levels on all appropriate plugs and corrects all errant notes in one simple press of a button.

I mean, really, is this too much to ask?

:deadhorse:

hee hee
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

I do recall MOTU slipping in features on immediate updates after big releases, but they were more on the "handy" side, not major features. But I'm not counting on it. There's quite a few deal-breaking bugs they need to squash.

Someone posted the other day that tech support said the update would be available "very soon", which doesn't tell you much. It was two months between DP9 and 9.01. Hopefully it will be along any time now. I'm mainly working in 9 still because of some of the known bugs in 10.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Usually the first maintenance update doesn't include major new features. That's for a .2 update that has languished with the programmers and beta-tester (testers?... lol).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'll be thrilled if 10.1 just doesn't crash once (or more) a day.

EDIT: After much discussion with MOTU, I decided that my random crash/freeze behavior was an anomaly to my system and that nothing was going to fix it but a clean reinstall of everything. Which I did, and the problems with DP10 melted away.

So if you're reading this, it was NOT DP10's fault that it crashed and froze continually. There was something wrong with my OS install that DP kept bumping its head on. It's running like a watch now.
Last edited by Gravity Jim on Wed May 01, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Judging by the amount and variety of genuine bug posts I've been seeing here, I'd say MOTU must have quite a LOOoooNG to-do list of things to fix.

IIRC, some quite major feature additions have been made during these "small" updates, like in DP6. I'm looking forward to them, 'cause as long as they don't fix the bugs and add the features I care about - I guess you guys know by now exactly what I mean after sounding like a broken record repeating myself for years... - there's no point for me to upgrade to DP10.
The regular features I do use seem to be buggy and flakey in DP10, so I'd rather wait for some more unicorn love.

I have no choice but to remain hopeful I'll see what I want soon.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

My biggest hope is bounce options. I desperately want a "bounce all tracks as separate audio files" option.
It's the one thing missing in DP that all the other DAWs I use do.

What will come in an update? first off Clips will get options to track audio and MIDI to the timeline, and direct recording etc. That's what I was told when I called tech support last.

I'm almost willing to bet we get the ability to use the 'thermometers' for velocity in MIDI notes to raise and lower velocity cc, but I thought that the spectrogram view for audio would eventually be editable for audio repair like it is in Samplitude and a few other DAWs etc. and I have been wrong so far.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

I was about to start listing things in the Articulation support thread, but this is the one for that.
What I hope will come in an update!

Articulation Support - DP is still the best DAW for orchestral work in terms of the Tracks window, and how that easily handles 100+ tracks, this is a must IMO.

Bounce options- for more than just the master track. (bounce all tracks as separate audio files, bounce only selected stems etc.)

Control surface support- for more than just HUI/Mackie, most modern transports on controller keyboards use MMC and DP can't use them.

MPE support- an adding of an All setting for the 16 MIDI tracks to go along with Any, which still only allows only one channel to record to that track.

Clip improvements- I think this one is a given, we will get a way to record clips to the timeline, according to tech support when I called asking about it. Hopefully we get more complex quantization choices on launch, as it stands it's not comparable to what Bitwig and Live can do.

I know every end user on every forum ever has made this claim, but if these all happened I would basically be a walking advertisement for DP, shouting at everyone I passed on the streets about how fantastic it is! :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Bounce options- for more than just the master track. (bounce all tracks as separate audio files, bounce only selected stems etc.)

Control surface support- for more than just HUI/Mackie, most modern transports on controller keyboards use MMC and DP can't use them.
to which I'll add MusicXML import, please?????

I know I can import to Logic and export the MIDI but I wouldn't mind skipping that step — really, I wouldn't.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

mikehalloran wrote:

to which I'll add MusicXML import, please?????

I know I can import to Logic and export the MIDI but I wouldn't mind skipping that step — really, I wouldn't.
I really wish I could bend the ear of the owner of MOTU, because I think these relatively speaking minor improvements, that I would guess take serious time, would skyrocket DP sales. It is as of now the only serious old school DAW that has Clips, and it's dedication to the traditional composer and film score people, as well as it's mixing and mastering capabilities etc. All of these things are so close to being world class if they aren't, that extra nudge would do it. :brucelee:
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Gravity Jim wrote:EDIT: After much discussion with MOTU, I decided that my random crash/freeze behavior was an anomaly to my system and that nothing was going to fix it but a clean reinstall of everything. Which I did, and the problems with DP10 melted away.

So if you're reading this, it was NOT DP10's fault that it crashed and froze continually. There was something wrong with my OS install that DP kept bumping its head on. It's running like a watch now.
Jim, this is the best news I've heard this month and possibly this year!

How awesome is that, brother? :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Paper manuals. Personally, I prefer PDF manuals, but I do miss hunting for trolls who are using bootlegged copies. :unicorn:

And finally, please install a Hit Maker button that applies just the right levels on all appropriate plugs and corrects all errant notes in one simple press of a button.

I mean, really, is this too much to ask?

hee hee
:rofl: Both of these are classic MLC!!!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'd like to see them release a stable version of DP. That would be enough.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Gravity Jim wrote:I'd like to see them release a stable version of DP. That would be enough.
DP is what the Eagles were talking about when they wrote Hotel California, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!" :lol:

On a serious note, I'm currently heavily exploring MPE synths, so the aftertouch bug affects me to where I'm working in Logic and the one that reaps at the moment. I'm impatient for at least another bug fix update as well.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Michael Canavan wrote: DP is what the Eagles were talking about when they wrote Hotel California, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!" :lol:
:rofl:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.