Can't Get Native Instruments VST to Load into DP10

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
GhostOfAlgernon
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Can't Get Native Instruments VST to Load into DP10

Post by GhostOfAlgernon »

Evening,

Windows 10 - 64 Bit
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

After ungrading to DP 10, I can't get any of my Native Instruments plugins to load. They worked fine in 9.5, and are currently working fine in Ableton as well (just double checked - yup, working in Ableton).

Path to 64 bit VST folder is correct
VST2 is set as my primary external plug-in format

They're showing up in the plug-in list, but are unchecked.
If I select FM8, for example, and hit Reexamine, DP claims "serious problems, plug-in will not be loaded". That's as far as I can get with any of them.

1. I've made sure all plug-ins were up to date.
2. I've made sure all the paths were also correct in Native Access
3. I reinstalled my entire NI Complete instruments from scratch
4. I've rebooted the entire system several times during 1, 2, and 3

No go …

Suggestions? I'm out of ideas ….
GhostOfAlgernon

Re: Can't Get Native Instruments VST to Load into DP10

Hmm - I just installed the UVI instrument in the default locations.
It too shows up in the VST list, but doing a "reexamine" of it fails as well.
Definitely something wrong here, though I'm not sure what it is ...
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Michael Canavan »

Since you've done all the basic work I'm betting it's just a false positive on the NI plugs being incompatible. I'm on OSX but this should be no different. You can activate the plug ins by checking the boxes and ignoring the warning that they're incompatible.

If nothing seems off, no crashes etc. send a bug report to MOTU.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
GhostOfAlgernon

Michael Canavan wrote:Since you've done all the basic work I'm betting it's just a false positive on the NI plugs being incompatible.
Just tried that. Even though they're all checked in preferences, they won't load, with the exception of ABSynth (which is also marked as failed), for some reason.
UVI Workstation is marked as "failed" and won't load either.

If I try to add an instrument track and select ABSynth, I get "Error reported by MAS VST2 Support ???[-1]", and adding the track fails.

I've written MOTU support. I'll report back here as I work through whatever they send me to try and get it working again …

EDIT: After some thought - drivers maybe? Checking those now ...
GhostOfAlgernon

Michael Canavan wrote:Since you've done all the basic work I'm betting it's just a false positive on the NI plugs being incompatible.
There was a newer version of the MOTU Pro Audio Installer. I installed that - do difference. Still won't load them.

OK, waiting on MOTU support! Guess I'm back on Ableton until this is resolved!
Michael Canavan

GhostOfAlgernon wrote:
Just tried that. Even though they're all checked in preferences, they won't load, with the exception of ABSynth (which is also marked as failed), for some reason.
UVI Workstation is marked as "failed" and won't load either.

If I try to add an instrument track and select ABSynth, I get "Error reported by MAS VST2 Support ???[-1]", and adding the track fails.

I've written MOTU support. I'll report back here as I work through whatever they send me to try and get it working again …

EDIT: After some thought - drivers maybe? Checking those now ...
So after you check the boxes on failed plug ins you will get a pop up window that asks you if you want to load the changes you made to your plug in configuration. This will sometimes crash, but yeah you have to reload plug ins before they show up as VSTs. I suppose it could be different on Windows, but I kinda doubt it. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
GhostOfAlgernon

Michael Canavan wrote: So after you check the boxes on failed plug ins you will get a pop up window that asks you if you want to load the changes you made to your plug in configuration. This will sometimes crash, but yeah you have to reload plug ins before they show up as VSTs. I suppose it could be different on Windows, but I kinda doubt it. :)
Selected and reexamined each pluging. Every one fails that.
Check the boxes anyway, I get an alert "this failed, load anyway"?
Tell it yes - once I checked everything I need and hit "done", it asks if I wish to restart the audio engine and load everything. Tell that "Yes" as well.
Up to "Projects", add instrument track - none of them are listed.

Just for grins and giggles, I reboot the entire system and check again. This does not spark joy! None of them are listed after this either. Nothing I do will get DP to even think about loading them.
Michael Canavan

GhostOfAlgernon wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: So after you check the boxes on failed plug ins you will get a pop up window that asks you if you want to load the changes you made to your plug in configuration. This will sometimes crash, but yeah you have to reload plug ins before they show up as VSTs. I suppose it could be different on Windows, but I kinda doubt it. :)
Selected and reexamined each pluging. Every one fails that.
Check the boxes anyway, I get an alert "this failed, load anyway"?
Tell it yes - once I checked everything I need and hit "done", it asks if I wish to restart the audio engine and load everything. Tell that "Yes" as well.
Up to "Projects", add instrument track - none of them are listed.

Just for grins and giggles, I reboot the entire system and check again. This does not spark joy! None of them are listed after this either. Nothing I do will get DP to even think about loading them.
Do they show up as unchecked in the Plug In Manager? If they do that's definitely a bug of some sort. You did pretty much everything I could think of doing to get Windows to recognize the NI plugs, check box, reexamine, restart Windows etc. etc. The only last thing I can think of to maybe get around this bug is to reexamine, make sure the NI plugs are still checked, save that plug in configuration in the Plug in Manager then close and reopen DP. Beyond that contact MOTU and get them rolling on this.
GhostOfAlgernon

Michael Canavan wrote:Do they show up as unchecked in the Plug In Manager? If they do that's definitely a bug of some sort.
They are checked in the plug-in manager, but marked as failed.
It's all VST plug-ins, not just Native, after checking more closely.
All the MAS plug-ins are fine.

I've contacted MOTU, a ticket is open - awaiting contact from them ..
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Did you try deleting the VST Info Cache located here: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\MOTU\MOTU Audio System\
That will force a rescan of all plugs from scratch.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Michael Canavan

GhostOfAlgernon wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:Do they show up as unchecked in the Plug In Manager? If they do that's definitely a bug of some sort.
They are checked in the plug-in manager, but marked as failed.
It's all VST plug-ins, not just Native, after checking more closely.
All the MAS plug-ins are fine.

I've contacted MOTU, a ticket is open - awaiting contact from them ..
I have one or two plug ins that seem to fail evaluation that don't crash when loaded, and yeah they say they failed evaluation, but I can still load them. Deleting the info cache like CharlzS mentions is a good idea.
GhostOfAlgernon

CharlzS wrote:Did you try deleting the VST Info Cache located here: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\MOTU\MOTU Audio System\
That will force a rescan of all plugs from scratch.
Hadn't thought of this before. The VST Cache from DP 9.5 was still in there too. Deleted them all - restarted DP - every last one failed the scan and refused to load, just like before.

Was a good idea though!
GhostOfAlgernon

Alrighty, I'm back in business.

After prompting from MOTU Tech support, I deleted everything MOTU … preferences folders, cache files, registry entries, all programs including DP, Audio engine, MOTU Discovery … everything!

After a full reinstall-everything-from-scratch, all my VST's validate now, and everything seems to be working OK.
JeffatMOTUN

Post by JeffatMOTUN »

I am glad to hear that you were able to get Kontakt to load correctly. I see I am a bit late to this post but if you have a moment could you elaborate on your method of deleting "everything" MOTU? Where might I find the preferences folder(s), cache files, MOTU Discovery, etc. I am somewhat familiar with registry editing so I will look into that on my own. Thanks
Windows 10 Pro
Digital Performer 10.13
Kontakt 5 Virtual Instruments
Lounge Lizard EP-4 Virtual Keyboards
EZKeys Virtual Keyboards
Superior Drummer Virtual Percussion
Waves v13 Plugins
Lurssen Mastering Console Software
Westlyn

Post by Westlyn »

Reading through this Forum thread has been instructive, if not a little depressing.

I've been going back and forth with MOTU tech support for months trying to figure out why my DP10 doesn't cooperate with Loopcloud DRUM or PLAY. For reasons never explained to me, it just won't play nice. Now, I just purchased TapeFace from Kiive Audio and nothing I do can get it to be recognized.

Do I have this right? Verification is done through a process coordinated with Steinberg. Is the disconnect there somehow? Or the way MOTU incorporates it with DP10?

I've been tempted to upgrade to DP11 (I've always been an early adapter since way back to DP8), but I'm hesitant with these persistent glitches. Do any of you run DP11? Are any of these problems solved by the update?

Thanks to my Forum Family for all insights offered!

Jim Westlyn