Does new UVI Workstation not open MachFive instruments?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Does new UVI Workstation not open MachFive instruments?

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: Did you start the old Mac in Target Mode? Not necessary if running El Cap or earlier.
Yes, and it did start transferring, but only did a few percent then stopped. I tried twice leaving it overnight and it never got any further.
Yikes!

It worked for me. I did turn File Vault off during the setup in case that might be an issue. I figure that I can enable it later.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:It worked for me. I did turn File Vault off during the setup in case that might be an issue. I figure that I can enable it later.
Yes, I remember a note about turning off file vault in the instructions I saw. But I don't use file vault.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: Did you start the old Mac in Target Mode? Not necessary if running El Cap or earlier.
Yes, and it did start transferring, but only did a few percent then stopped. I tried twice leaving it overnight and it never got any further.
I've now done two Mac – Mac transfers over the last three days. One from my 2010 running High Sierra to my iMP running Mojave, then from an early 2009 running El Cap to my 2010.

I made sure that, on the sending iMac had sleep set to Never in the Energy panel. Then I opened Migration Assistant selecting Transfer to another Mac then entering the codes that were generated. I'm assuming you did the same as the transfer should never have begun if you hadn't.

So, not sure what happened without having the machines in front of me.

So, did you do the transfer from a Time Machine backup instead? That should have been pretty straightforward. I've done a few of those recently.

Had FedEx not screwed up, this all would have been done by last Sunday. Two recent deaths in the family including my father on Tuesday pushed everything back as one might imagine.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing, Mike. Losing a parent is always very difficult. We lost both my dad and mother in law in 1985 within a few months of each other. Then in 2017 lost my mom and father in law within a few months of each other.

It never got any easier.

Peace, brother.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

mikehalloran wrote: Two recent deaths in the family including my father on Tuesday pushed everything back as one might imagine.
Very sorry for your loss Mike. And makes a busy season indeed. Just lost parents for Beth and I, all but one. They made it to 93 and 96 though! Hang in there. World needs a healthy productive Mike.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
drburt2

Post by drburt2 »

I thought the same!

The MachFive Multis CAN be opened with UVI Workstation.

Simply replave the .m5m at the end of the multi's filename with .uviws and then load them into UVI.

I just discovered this and it works perfectly - so far!

It seems MOTU should have (did they?) told us this when they decided not to update MachFive, but instead recommend using UVI...

It also seems they should update MachFive.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

drburt2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:47 pm I thought the same!

The MachFive Multis CAN be opened with UVI Workstation.

Simply replave the .m5m at the end of the multi's filename with .uviws and then load them into UVI.

I just discovered this and it works perfectly - so far!

It seems MOTU should have (did they?) told us this when they decided not to update MachFive, but instead recommend using UVI...

It also seems they should update MachFive.

It's a bit more complex than that in some cases. MachFive was obviously a partnership with UVI, UVI and them ended that partnership, who knows? UVI may have even paid them to use the code? Anyway it's all in Falcon at this point and UVI Workstation. So we will not see a new MachFive4 etc. M53 is deprecated.

One thing that has happened though, is MachFive is not capable of running on the M1 Macs in native mode, the iLok libraries cannot be read by native Apple Silicon apps and plug ins, but you can use an older non Universal Binary version of UVI Workstation and it will open up in Rosseta AU and read the M53 libraries.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
drburt2

Post by drburt2 »

I made sure my latest Mac uchase was not M1 to avoid exactly this sort of incompatibility. Having accumulated a great deal of software ;baggage" over the years, I count "upgrading" and replacing obsoleted software against any hoped-for "speed increases" a new chip or architecture promises.

Speaking of Ancient History, I have a great many Roland formatted iso files. Kontakt ∞ is advertised to read such thing. I got K5 out of the closet s but I haven't gotten t to work. MachFivce is supposed to work butrseems to crash in the few intances I have gotten it to work under 10.14.6. It used to work flawlessly under some ancoent Mac OS I have forgotten and cannot return to now.

Do yu know how old Roland formatted iso files can be loaded into some moden software? I have UVI, Kontakt 6 and 7, DP 9 and 11 ...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

drburt2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:28 pm I made sure my latest Mac uchase was not M1 to avoid exactly this sort of incompatibility. Having accumulated a great deal of software ;baggage" over the years, I count "upgrading" and replacing obsoleted software against any hoped-for "speed increases" a new chip or architecture promises.

Speaking of Ancient History, I have a great many Roland formatted iso files. Kontakt ∞ is advertised to read such thing. I got K5 out of the closet s but I haven't gotten t to work. MachFivce is supposed to work butrseems to crash in the few intances I have gotten it to work under 10.14.6. It used to work flawlessly under some ancoent Mac OS I have forgotten and cannot return to now.

Do yu know how old Roland formatted iso files can be loaded into some moden software? I have UVI, Kontakt 6 and 7, DP 9 and 11 ...
Are your Roland libraries 32 bit? There are two versions of Kontakt 5. Kontakt 5.52 and older is 32 bit only; Higher versions are 64 bit only. Unlike Windows, there is no Mac build of K5 that supports 32 and 64. I don’t know if this is your problem or not. K 5.52 is available from NI and your K5 license enables either version. I don’t think you can run two K5 builds on the same system but there’s an easy workaround: Update to K6 or K7 — you can run more than one version of Kontakt. Kontakt 7 is sale 50% ($149.99) for the next few days—I have no idea what your upgrade price is

Per MOTU, MachFive 3.2.1 is compatible with Mojave. I have no problem with it on my Mojave boot drive.

Although Mojave is the last MacOS that can run 32 bit apps, this does not mean that all are compatible.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

drburt2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:28 pm I made sure my latest Mac uchase was not M1 to avoid exactly this sort of incompatibility. Having accumulated a great deal of software ;baggage" over the years, I count "upgrading" and replacing obsoleted software against any hoped-for "speed increases" a new chip or architecture promises.
Not to be too contrarian here, but the speed increases aren't just hoped for. They are real and dramatic. Apple Silicon runs rings around Intel chips. There's no way I would go back to my MacPro5,1 12-core. My M1 Max Mac Studio simply blows it out of the water and is so quiet as to be practically inaudible.

There are workarounds to the problem of opening old MachFive libraries and they're not all that difficult to implement on an M1/M2 Mac. I've detailed how I do it on another post at this forum. (I added the link below.) The problem with opening those old libraries on Apple Silicon machines involves accessing the license on the iLok when DP is running in native mode. Newer versions of Falcon and UVI Workstation (AU), are UB2 (Universal Binary 2). They contain both Apple Silicon and Intel code. When you instantiate a plug in in DP when it is running native, it looks "inside" the plug-in and if it is given a choice it will load the Apple Silicon native code. Then, when you attempt to access an older MachFive .ufs volume, it refuses because the plugin can't "see" the license.

The trick is to use an older version of UVI Workstation that is NOT UB2... and contains NO AS-native code. This forces DP to runjust that plug-in in Rosetta 2. The plugin can then open the old libraries as it can see the license on the iLok. So the way I got around this is to install only the AU version of UVI Workstation 3.0.25 which was the very LAST version before UVI added Apple Silicon native code to the plugin. It is the last Intel-only version of UVI Workstation. When I want to access an old MachFive library, I load UVI Workstation 3.0.25, which loads using Rosetta and it loads the library with no problems. When I want to open a library that is newer that doesn't require the workaround, I can use either Falcon, or I can install the VST3 version of the last UVI Workstation. You can have both the older AU and newer VST3 of UVI Workstation activated at the same time.

Anyway... sounds more difficult than it is. Here's a link to the post explaining it and also containing a link to download the UVI Workstation 3.0.25 installer:

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... on#p598509
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!