Does new UVI Workstation not open MachFive instruments?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Does new UVI Workstation not open MachFive instruments?

Post by James Steele »

Just came across this and maybe I'm not remembering it correctly, but UVI Workstation 3.x does not seem to open any of my MachFive presets. I seem to remember it did. I want to put UVI Workstation on a laptop as a lightweight playback means for a sample and I can't open the M5 instrument I want to use. I saved an older 2.X UVI WS installer from 2017 and I'll try that on the laptop when I have time.

Maybe this never worked? I don't remember. Wonder if the split with MOTU prompted UVI to block out M5 instruments on the newest version of UVI Workstation?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Does new UVI Workstation not open MachFive instruments?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You may be thinking of this backwards. MachFive 3 will open many UVI presets, but I've never been able to open an M5 preset in the UVI player. Also, not all UVI instruments will load into M5, especially 3rd party instruments.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You may be thinking of this backwards. MachFive 3 will open many UVI presets, but I've never been able to open an M5 preset in the UVI player. Also, not all UVI instruments will load into M5, especially 3rd party instruments.
Aha!!! I do have it backwards then!! Thanks, MLC!!! I'm getting a little foggy in my advanced years. I sure wish there was a way that M5 would let me save in a format that UVI Workstation could open as I'd rather use a stripped down playback type VI and not full featured MachFive because the laptop I'm using for backing tracks isn't exactly the most powerful one. It's running Yosemite still. Maybe MachFive 2 will run on it?

Another problem is the darned dongle. I have both USB ports being used by interfaces, so I'll have to introduce a hub into the mix now just to put the iLok dongle on it. Hmmm actually maybe I can do machine authorization on MachFive3? That would solve the problem. It's always something and all because I want to trigger a Taurus bass drone for an intro. :P

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

The UVI Workstation open all Mach Five instruments that are .ufs files.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

shansen1 wrote:The UVI Workstation open all Mach Five instruments that are .ufs files.
If you have a license and your iLOK plugged in ... or so it's supposed to work that way.

I can't get that to behave but, frankly, I'm putting a hold on those efforts. I've a new (to me) iMac Pro coming in a few days. When it's fully set up and the dust has settled, trying again.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

shansen1 wrote:The UVI Workstation open all Mach Five instruments that are .ufs files.
Well I'll be an Uncle's Monkey (and visa versa) that works! I guess I never thought it would, or perhaps it didn't in the past, but I can load them now.

Thanks, shansen1. You've opened things up a bit for this kid. ;) :woohoo: Not that I don't love M5, but the UVI player is a bit lighter in terms of CPU hits and for James, this could be a lifesaver. I haven't tried them all but the Telecaster instrument loaded and works fine.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Good to know. I figured that my issues were setup related when I recently moved some of my VIs to an external. That’s why I didn’t want to spend any more time on the task as my setup’s gong to change again.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

True, but I assumed the question was about opening the MachFive save files; programs, multis etc.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I've a new (to me) iMac Pro coming in a few days. When it's fully set up and the dust has settled, trying again.
Does it have the T2 chip? I'd be interested to hear whether you can use Migration Assistant to move your stuff over. It didn't work at all when I move from an old iMac to the new Mini.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

That's interesting. I can't remember but UVI Workstation could see my MachFive .ufs files but I could not get it to open any of the presets. And I had a custom M5 instrument that I made that I could not get UVI WS 3.x to open.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I've a new (to me) iMac Pro coming in a few days. When it's fully set up and the dust has settled, trying again.
Does it have the T2 chip? I'd be interested to hear whether you can use Migration Assistant to move your stuff over. It didn't work at all when I move from an old iMac to the new Mini.
T2, yes.

Migration Assistant? I won’t know till next week. It was supposed to be here today but, for some reason, it’s sitting in a FedEx warehouse in Sacramento. Grrrrrr.... :banghead:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

[quote="mikehalloran"] it’s sitting in a FedEx warehouse in Sacramento.
But you're so close. They should have an intern bring it over on the bus.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: it’s sitting in a FedEx warehouse in Sacramento.

But you're so close. They should have an intern bring it over on the bus.
Believe me, I suggested that—only a 4 hour round trip. Hell, I could pick it up today and lunch with my cousins or friends (I lived there from 1956–‘69) but nooooo...
:evil:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
Did you start the old Mac in Target Mode? Not necessary if running El Cap or earlier.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204350

Although it came Monday evening, I wasn’t able to get to it till this evening. Data transferring now.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Did you start the old Mac in Target Mode? Not necessary if running El Cap or earlier.
Yes, and it did start transferring, but only did a few percent then stopped. I tried twice leaving it overnight and it never got any further.