Tricky post mix issue

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Anders Peev
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tricky post mix issue

Post by Anders Peev »

Hello, fellow unicorns!

I have composed and recorded music that I want to make it sound like it's diegetic in the film.
The diegetic music starts from the cut to the guy in the kitchen who's making coffee.

Unlisted youtube clip, unmixed:
https://youtu.be/LkoU2ODbeuk

The clip starts at the end of a filmscore piece that cuts into the diegetic music in the kitchen.
Which would be the best way to start? I guess I would need a kitchen IR and a home-stereo IR or what?

Hope someone can kick me in the right direction :D
/ Anders
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Tricky post mix issue

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I wouldn't overthink it too much. You don't necessarily have to match the room it's supposed to be in exactly.

I'd simply reduce the level, maybe EQ it a bit to it sounds like it's being picked up by a production mic on location, and maybe add a slight amount of reverb that could realistically be similar to the environment in question.

Diegetic is a big word for "source" music or sound.

If you're also mixing sound for the picture, great. If someone else is mixing and/or designing sound, it's essentially their problem, in which case I'd deliver the highest quality recording possible.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I wouldn't overthink it too much. You don't necessarily have to match the room it's supposed to be in exactly.

I'd simply reduce the level, maybe EQ it a bit to it sounds like it's being picked up by a production mic on location, and maybe add a slight amount of reverb that could realistically be similar to the environment in question.

Diegetic is a big word for "source" music or sound.

If you're also mixing sound for the picture, great. If someone else is mixing and/or designing sound, it's essentially their problem, in which case I'd deliver the highest quality recording possible.
Thanks, MIDI Life Crisis! Yes, I am doing all the post audio. I also recorded the location sound (not audiable in the clip though). It's a small production. I was at first also thinking that I probably could fake the kitchen sound with an EQ and proverb. But then comes the cut to the hallway and the viewer is suddenly outside the kitchen and the kitchen door opens. It gets a bit trickier here I think :?

I've been looking at audio ease's indoor convolution reverb. That would do the job in a minute. But it's 700€. It would be nice to find a site where you could buy singular IRs, just to have somewhere to start.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Anders Peev wrote:It would be nice to find a site where you could buy singular IRs, just to have somewhere to start.
This

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

-along with ProVerb is an excellent place to start.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Anders Peev wrote:...then comes the cut to the hallway and the viewer is suddenly outside the kitchen and the kitchen door opens. It gets a bit trickier here I think...
That's essentially an issue of proximity to the sound. Basically all you really need to do there is reduce the volume. If you want to get tricky, you could mess with the pan a bit as well, but not smooch as to distract from the narrative.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Anders Peev wrote:...then comes the cut to the hallway and the viewer is suddenly outside the kitchen and the kitchen door opens. It gets a bit trickier here I think...
That's essentially an issue of proximity to the sound. Basically all you really need to do there is reduce the volume. If you want to get tricky, you could mess with the pan a bit as well, but not smooch as to distract from the narrative.
Thanks again! Good advice!
MIDI Life Crisis

Not smooch? lol ALWAYS smooch! Should be: Not so much.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Not smooch? lol ALWAYS smooch! Should be: Not so much.
Haha! English is not my first language. I was just about to look up "smooch" in the dictionary :D
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

cuttime wrote:
Anders Peev wrote:It would be nice to find a site where you could buy singular IRs, just to have somewhere to start.
This

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

-along with ProVerb is an excellent place to start.
Thanks cuttime! I've already got this library and I'm using it in every mix rather than the IRs that come with proverb!

I was hoping to find something like Audiease's Indoor but cheaper.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

You will be amazed at the tricks you can pull off using this little freebie:

https://www.tokyodawn.net/proximity/

You can change the distance from the source so easily, and it is addictive. Read the docs, though. Comes as both VST and AU.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

terrybritton wrote:You will be amazed at the tricks you can pull off using this little freebie:

https://www.tokyodawn.net/proximity/

You can change the distance from the source so easily, and it is addictive. Read the docs, though. Comes as both VST and AU.

Terry
Thanks Terry! A very good little plugin! I will make use of this one!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hey, Anders!

How's that awesome Nyckelharpa going, my friend?
I still have that video you did for me years ago demonstrating your instrument.

Skål! 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

Thank you all for your replies! And thanks cuttime, I already got that library and I use it in every mix!

Here's a work in progress, if you have 1:05:
https://youtu.be/dhSFMyWC00E

I have tried to follow MidiLifeCrisis instruction to work on the proximity, the pan pot, and the room reflections.
I have now placed the source (fictional home stereo) in the living room. I still feel that I need to do something about the reflections in the hall when the two friends meet.

But what?