Harmony Assistant: Music Notation Software...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Harmony Assistant: Music Notation Software...

Post by Shooshie »

With a name like "Harmony Assistant," I feared the worst when downloading this notation software demo. But there was no need to fear anything. This turned out to be an impressive piece of software. I downloaded it right before reinstalling my system. Two days later, I am just now coming up for air, and I opened Harmony Assistant for the first time. I'm in no position to try it out for real. I just gave it a cursory overview, to see how many features it had, and what it seemed capable of doing.

Well, first glance, it appears that it does a LOT. But anyone who has used score-writing software knows that the real test comes when you've immersed yourself in a big score project, and you're 100 bars into it, and you've got a solo section in which you want to drop the other parts for a while, and you want to beam across barlines, and give automatically expanding rests to the tacit instruments, and you need to write out that ornament with 12 notes in the space of a quarter note, and you've got to beam notes that are two octaves apart, and.... well... you know. The stuff we take for granted with pen and ink, but on a computer they become nightmares.

I'll never forget the joy/frustration of working in MOTU's first release for the Mac: Professional Composer, back in December of 1984. As long as you were doing what it could do easily, it was wonderful. But step outside the norm, and it balked. Push it, and it folded. Mosaic was very close to being a real pro-level engraver's tool, but MOTU just dropped the ball on it. I've been frustrated since moving to OSX, because I can't do scores. DP, as we all know, is rudimentary at best. It desperately needs a companion for scoring. Could the be the one?

So, I don't remember who posted the original link, or who recommended it, but if you guys happen upon this message, would you fill me in on how this handles advanced situations? Let's say I'm arranging for full orchestra, and plan to print score and parts. Let's say that the music will be challenging for score software. How is Harmony Assistant going to hold up then? I see many strengths in it. What are its weaknesses?

Link: Harmony Assistant

This is written by French musician/programmers who seem to know what they are doing musically. Are they competent as programmers? Have they sunk Sibelius? Is Finale quavering in its clefs?

Man, for the price (apparently about $70), it appears too good to be true. You know what they say about things that are too good to be true. Someone tell me this is the exception to the rule.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I found a link or two regarding Harmony Assistant.

MacMusic review

basic info

Download 5000

There are others, but they basically repeat the above. No real in-depth reviews, but then again, no real criticisms. The one page I came across which listed a few niggling little problems (and they were small ones) was written 5 years ago. Harmony Assistant has been through many versions since then.

So far the news is good. I'm still waiting for the "truth" though.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dtobocman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dtobocman »

Everyone I know uses Sibelius or Finale for these kinds of jobs... I'd be all over Sibelius for orchestra parts.

I still use Mosaic for band charts and horn charts... It's quick and simple and awesome for this type of work, IMO. Keeping the OS9 bootable G4 for this very application... (and using it as a VI 2nd computer in the meantime)...

I positively SHUDDER at the thought of the learning curve involved for Finale or even Sibelius...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The learning curves for either Sibelius or Finale aren't all that intimidating, and I did learn a certain amount of Finale years ago. Plus, I pretty well mastered Mosaic and Professional Composer before that. And if something just couldn't be done, I wasn't above taking a page to Illustrator and drawing in what I wanted. Only had to do that a couple of times. (as a last resort... there's always pen/ink)

But what intimidates me about Finale and Sibelius is their price. If this little thing will do 99% of what they do, I'd be amazed, and very, very pleased.

So, does anyone really know how Harmony Assistant performs?

Shooshie
dtobocman

Post by dtobocman »

Sorry... didn't realize that Sibelius lists for $599. Shite...
loff56

Post by loff56 »

Well, if you go and look at the "New Features" in the "upgrade" of this program, you will find that a lot of these new features are features that Finale has had since as long as I've been using it. 9 Years!!!! I feel like that may be a dead give away as to its limitations.
G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 2 Gig Ram, 250 Gig HD, 200 Gig HD, 600 Gig HD, OSX 10.5.2, MOTU Traveler, MOTU 8Pre, DP 5.13, EWQLSO Silver, Blue Bluebird Mic, Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro, Korg Triton Extreme
midiw

Re: Harmony Assistant: Music Notation Software...

Post by midiw »

Shooshie wrote:
With a name like "Harmony Assistant," I feared the worst when downloading this notation software demo. But there was no need to fear anything. This turned out to be an impressive piece of software.

Shooshie

It really is an excellent "shareware" programme with all upgrades "FREE" ( try that idea MOTU ). Maybe it's the French way of doing shareware.

Also, if you spend a little extra buy the 'GOLD 2" digital SOUNDS.

Harmony plus GOLD 2 sounds gives any of those virtual symphony packages and thousands of dollars a real run.

I've been working with Harmony for years albeit still learning all the "new" features such as the scripting function.

In fact if memory serves me this programme years and years ago allowed you to create mp3 files without buying somebodys "rights" to create mp3's.

OK, I am a bit prejudiced about Harmony Assistant.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, once again, telling me that Finale is better doesn't really help me understand Harmony Assistant. I don't really think you can tell much from that list of new features. At the moment I can't spend the money on Finale, so it's out of the question. Furthermore, if H.A. will do the trick, I'd rather use it because it supports a more rational pricing structure.

Anyone else who actually uses the program?

Shooshie
midiw

Post by midiw »

Shooshie wrote:
Anyone else who actually uses the program?

Shooshie

What's the ? or ???

I may be able to help and if not then the guys that wrote the programme will answer your question (s) toute suite at the myriad forum. If you have not as yet sighn yourself in at their forum. I'll swear that those guys that wrote the programme just don't go to bed improving the programme and answering questions at the forum nearly the second you post it.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't have any specific questions at the moment. I'm just looking for general consensus among actual users. I appreciate your reply--that's very encouraging. Let's see... maybe you can tell me a few things. Yes or no will suffice for most:

1 - beams across barlines?
2 - beams across staves? (as in piano parts where one system of notes from, say, A3 to first G in treble clef is written across the staves, with one beam between them all)
3 - tweak the space between notes, rests, and other symbols?
4 - adjust space between staves to allow for more ledger lines?
5 - transpose parts?
6 - allow staves to split or collapse? (as in cellos playing tutti in one staff, then dividing into 4 parts, each with its own staff)
7 - slurs and ties adjustable to make them fit in any situation?
8 - slur from notehead to stem or beam?
9 - beams up or down?

Don't answer them all if you don't know; I don't want to make you look stuff up. I can do that myself, and will over time. I'm just curious as to its general capabilities.

Thanks....

Shooshie
Patricio

Post by Patricio »

shooshie

i'm in the same booth as you.....preparing a project where there have to be pro-scores...did most of the parts with DP 's Quickscribe editor....only drum and percussion parts aren't happening...

i downloaded the demo of this Harmony assistent PGR ...honestly i have troubles getting it together.....imported a midifile and all the parts where displayed wrong...and also playing very strange...on otherhand its looks good and is cheap...

Finale and Sibelius are the main PGRS but there is a pricetag on them which is above my budget right now... or maybe i have to go that way...
i saw they had some educator discount..

i also was looking at Overture http://geniesoft.com/

Smartscore 3 http://musitek.com/

both are under the U$ 300,- price tag......

but honestly i wish Motu would port Mosaic......
i was trying to get a deal on Mosaic because i saw it at some internet shops still for sale but for a high price so i asked if they could give me a discount....didn't work till sofar.....
had this idea to install it on separate HD with OS9 on it so i can finish the drum parts...

I also noticed in the book"Producing Music with Digital Performer" author "Ben Newhouse" on page 208 chapter 15.2 that there is a Figure with drum notation in DP....i was really wondering how he got that done....
dbudde

Post by dbudde »

Crossgrade pricing is much better. Sibelius can be had for 150. If you don't own a qualifying crossgrade, check ebay. I picked up a shrinkwrap (new) Win95 version of Encore version 4 for 9.50. This qualified for the crossgrade.

Some enterprising soul bought up a bunch of these when Passport went out of business and is now schlepping them on ebay. They got bought by GVOX, but there are apparaently a lot of old copies out there.
AR

Post by AR »

Am I to assume from this thread that Quickscribe included in DP 4.5.2 is lacking in important areas? What shortcomings does Quickscribe have?
Patricio

Post by Patricio »

AR

last weeks i have worked intensively with Quickscribe, actually did prepared
10 songs for a cd project for alot of different instruments.
It did the job for me only scoring for drums is impossible, but for that i found a solution, using a bass cleff and just copying and printing the form of the tune and with the old style of working (drawing the drumparts with the hand)

Putting in Chords is a nightmare and time consuming, the toolbox is very limited, especially compared with the OS9 pgr Mosiac.

On the other hand i assume Quickscribe its just extra service they gave us with DP.
Hopefully they will add some new features to it in 4.7

For Full Score printing and proffesional lay-outs you better look at Sibelius , Finale, Smartscore or other Prgs.

for the basic things it will do te job.
DP 10.13 , MACPRO Trashcan 2013 MACOS MOJAVE 10.4.6, Motu828X, MacBook Pro 2.1.6, MacPro, Machfive 3, Sampletank 4, Plugssound Pro,Yamaha MU128, Digitech GSP1101, MIDI Express 128, Studiophile BX8, Uviworkstation, Roland A33.OSX Motu Symphonic Instrument,Uvi Workstation. Kemper profiler Stage
npatton

Post by npatton »

Has anybody tried Finale Allegro? $200, with most of Finale's features (including percussion maps). The next step down is Finales Print Music, but it's not nearly as flexible. Heck of a lot cheaper than the full version.

Product info and comparison chart here: http://www.finalemusic.com/allegro/

Neil