Your big three hopes in updates to DP10

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Your big three hopes in updates to DP10

Post by Michael Canavan »

Obviously first things first is bug fixes, but what about things you hope they add to DP10 during the update cycle to improve your workflow? This IMO is actually the time to think about these things, not months before an upgrade cycle to DP11 is around the corner. Limitations are good, as it makes you think about what really matters to you etc. Clips are already in the works for improvements, so I didn't concentrate on what is a work in progress.

In no order mine are:

Bounce options- DP is alone in DAWs I use in having pretty much the most limited options.
At the very least "render all tracks as separate audio files, render selected tracks as separate audio files".
Even better, a DAW I use adds in options like tagging the files with the name of the song, the track name, the date etc. etc. DP could do this even better with options to render these files then add them to a new Sequence Chunk, so you have your MIDI and heavy plug in using Sequence Chunk, then an audio file only copy for mixdown and mastering etc. I do this anyway, but it involves freezing, duplicating and renaming freeze files, then importing them into a new Sequence etc. Someone on another forum mentioned that DP doesn't offer the choice to convert the khz on bounce as well, so it's another process to go from 48 to 44.1 etc.

Chunk Folders MLC mentioned this, and it's a mess for me, and I don't do that complicated of work with it, but just being able to organize Sequence Chunks into folders would help a lot.

Controller Support DP has the worst support for controllers of any of the DAWs I use, granted two of them, Logic and Live I believe get huge amounts of help from the manufacturers themselves, but DP's MMC does not work with any Arturia, AKAI etc. products, it's limited in what it can recieve so transports on those MIDI controllers do not work. Now that DP is entering the world of Clips, it's IMO almost an imperative that MOTU start working with manufacturers like AKAI and Novation to get support for their Clips window, and again for the transports in basically any controller that uses MMC. In general better support.

In general I look at my list and realize once a few bugs are fixed in DP10 I'm pretty happy.
My biggest request is bounce options, it's the part in DP I find frustrating simply because it's the only area other DAWs win out.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
philbrown

Re: Your big three hopes in updates to DP10

Post by philbrown »

1. Markers per track. Seems so obvious and easy to implement.

2. A key combo to change focus from Soundbites to Volume in the Sequence editor.
That's a biggie. I do that mouse move hundreds of times a day.

None of my suggestions have ever been implemented.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Phil, perhaps you've already tried this, but you can switch edit types in the SE using Shift+Left or Right. You can also toggle the volume automation lane with the "V" key. Both also work with multiple tracks selected. Very handy.

Does that help?
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
waxman

Post by waxman »

This is a bit off but I would really like a video from MOTU showing every function... for me once I see a function in a workflow I can choose to use it or not but spending 10 mins finding it then 10 reading the manual to find out I don't want that function is lame. A video would take 30 seconds... Hello instagram??? 2019.

1) Unlock the Show Hide for Mackie Control
2) Integrate track window I/O naming with Bundle Naming
3) Fine adjustments to zoom window to match Slate Raven floating mixer
4) Automation split out from Solo/Mute/Record/Input
5) Pop Out Faders On Sends
6) More color options on channel strips
Last edited by waxman on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

waxman wrote:This is a bit off but I would really like a video from MOTU showing every single function... for me once I see a function I can choose to use it or not but spending 10 mins finding it then 10 reading the manual to find out I don't want that function is lame. Hello instagram??? 2019.

I just want to go fishing with Waxman!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waxman

Post by waxman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
waxman wrote:This is a bit off but I would really like a video from MOTU showing every single function... for me once I see a function I can choose to use it or not but spending 10 mins finding it then 10 reading the manual to find out I don't want that function is lame. Hello instagram??? 2019.

I just want to go fishing with Waxman!
Dana Point CA... any time.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
MIDI Life Crisis

Tomorrow? lol I wish!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toddbooster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by toddbooster »

Simple, I want all the plugin and other third party manufacturers that officially support DP to also support DP on Windows.

Next, I want a remote control. I want DP to have a web interface just like Touch Console on the AVB interfaces that can be accessed from a browser on any device on any platform.

Third: +1 for show/hide for Mackie Control.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
michkhol

Post by michkhol »

Articulation support. And I will come back from Logic X.
MacPro, 32 GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN8
macOS 13.6.3, DP 11.3
OLB

Post by OLB »

michkhol wrote:Articulation support. And I will come back from Logic X.
I’ve been developing a ‘poor man’s articulation system’ via Program Changes to Kontakt.

Tracks Overview

Link: http://www.lennertbusch.com/public/DP/DP%20Art%201.gif

MIDI Editor

Link: http://www.lennertbusch.com/public/DP/DP%20Art%202.gif

If interested I can explain a bit more.

edit: images seem a bit too large, added links
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I have about 10 all to do with the basic functioning of a main tab or window. But here's 3.

1. Do something with the Drum Editor to get it out of the 80s. Remove the need to use MIDI Device Groups to save Note name presets. Or get rid of it and just let us name notes in the MIDI editor (with presets_ and allow limiting the view to notes that exist in the track.

2. Link the Waveform Editor to the active sequence so edits can be monitored in the context of the sequence. Or get rid of it and allow destructive edits of soundbites in the Sequence Editor

3. Update the Notation Editor. Or get rid of it and make it a lane or a view in the MIDI Editor.

Another number 3, is to put a track selector in the Meter Bridge and allow it to scale to the Mixer. Or get rid of it and make it an optional part of the Mixer.

One more: Let overlapping sequences in the Song window follow their own tempos. (don't get rid of it.)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mgraham

Post by mgraham »

1) Song window overhaul
Songs and Chunks are what drew me to DP in the first place. The Song window is so powerful, but so finicky and hard to use. In general, application state is either invisible (no playback wiper) or visually confusing (drop a column at bar 7 of an 8 bar sequence and the sequence now is twice as big).

To make the song window really useful, I would like to see:
  • sequences each having their own independent tempos/time signatures.
  • visible playback wiper (or wipers, I guess)
  • playback wiper visible in the original sequence when it is playing in a song
  • proportionally sized sequences
  • better system of positioning sequences relative to each other
2) Better overall keyboard support
DP has lots of key commands, and the new Run Command window is fantastic. But as a whole, DP requires a mouse to do almost everything. Here are some things I can't do with the keyboard:
  • select something on a track. I can grow or shrink an existing selection but I can't start one.
  • select a track
  • rename a track, chunk, or marker
I would like better keyboard support, including:
  • allow creating a selection entirely with keyboard
  • select track with keyboard
  • select all on track with keyboard
  • allow selection of objects in side windows with keyboard (e.g. in marker window, use the arrow keys to cursor through markers)
  • open mini-menus with keyboard
  • allow dialogs (e.g. Search, View Filter) to be accepted with Enter and dismissed with Esc
  • make the "cancel search filter" key command remove focus from the search box
  • make the "search filter" (F) key command work in other windows with search boxes (markers, chunks)
3) Allow sequences to send automation to V-Racks
I'm sure there's an internal reason for this limitation, but as a new user it seems weird that in order to use V-Racks I have to give up using automation.
MIDI Life Crisis

Enhance the NOTATION window and turn Quickscribe into a full fledged pro notation/engraving program.

Chunk Folders.

Ability to set start and stop points via a key command (when auto rewind isn't active) and NOT have the key press (to mark the new start time) revert the transport to activating the END loop time.

That's a hard one to describe easily but I don't have time to do an effing video. If you don't know what that means, then ignore the comment.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

To the above, I'll add the following:

Please add MusicXML Import for those of us who compose in notation apps. Logic Pro and The DAW That Shall Not Be Named are among those that have had it for years.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Helen

Post by Helen »

1) Ability to color code markers.

2) I would like to be able to save a V-rack as a clipping.

3) It would be nice to be able to work with mp4 videos without having to convert them first to .mov. I have had an editor or two wonder out loud why I am using such an outdated video format... sigh.
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....