New Bop Overdrive Video

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
wdegillio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Bop Overdrive Video

Post by wdegillio »

I've just uploaded a new video to my YouTube Channel; It's an installment of my "Bop Overdrive" series. In this episode, I attempt to improvise over the changes to the standard "There Will Never Be Another You" at 240 bpm. DP's "Import Movie" makes it easy for me to sync the video clip (from an iPhone) to my live guitar and iPad backing track. Thanks in advance for checking it out, and feel free to leave any comments or criticisms below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8OHT-8G8lA
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
Rick Cornish

Re: New Bop Overdrive Video

Post by Rick Cornish »

"Bob Overdrive" indeed! I'm not sure I've ever heard bebop played with so much distortion… interesting change of pace.

You cut the changes at a good tempo—good for you!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
wdegillio

Re: New Bop Overdrive Video

Post by wdegillio »

Thank you, Rick, for listening as well as for your feedback! As much as I love the traditional bop guitar sound of a nice arch top through a clean amp, the sustain provided by the distortion is quite fun to employ in that setting. As you know, there is the old debate about which is more difficult- playing through fast changes or playing over a one-chord vamp or modal progression! I side with playing changes; it’s also lots of fun while kicking your butt at the same time! I’m sure you’ve seen some of the blazing sweep-picking and two-handed tapping displays on social media. As impressive as that is, I like hearing a melodic statement over a progression; call me old-fashioned!
All the best in your musical endeavors!
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones