Scaling Issues with Digital Performer 10

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Mung2
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Scaling Issues with Digital Performer 10

Post by Mung2 »

So I just got DP 10 a few days ago and it looks great. I have a 4K monitor, so it’s a lot less pixelated than DP 9 was. I also really like the UVI workstation instruments they added in this upgrade. (There’s also other cool updates, like the MIDI note names, the ability to copy a plugin from one track to another, and the content browser and run command.)

But despite all these great update features, I’m having one giant problem. Any time I open up plugins (even the stock MOTU plugins), they are extremely tiny and difficult to operate (especially Waves plugins). Most plugins have no option to scale, while some do allow you to scale (but they still look very tiny).

Is this normal? Anyone else have this problem? Any tips/solutions/clues? It’s very difficult to take advantage of DP 10 if the plugins are so tiny that they’re virtually impossible to actually use.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Scaling Issues with Digital Performer 10

Post by bayswater »

Yes, it's a problem, but DP like anything that hosts plugins is stuck with the graphics supplied by the plugin maker.

Some thoughts:
I rarely run DAWs at 4K resolution. It usually works better at a lower resolution with DP not scaled up as much.

My 4K is 32" but in restrospect, I probably should have gone for something more like 45".

You can always connect a second monitor, or even an tablet, running at lower resolution and display plugins there.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Mung2

Post by Mung2 »

Thanks for the quick response.

Too bad the plugins have this limitation. It is unfortunate.

But I did manage to display the plugins on a smaller monitor and the plugin GUI is not too pixelated or small. For now, this’ll do. At least now I can actually SEE the knobs and read the letters.

Thanks for the suggestion.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

On a Windows 10 computer, go into your program files folder to the MOTU folder and right-click the DP exe icon and then "Properties".

Once in there, click the "Compatibility" tab, and at the bottom you will see "Change high DPI settings". Click that button, check the "Override high DPI scaling behavior", then try System (Enhanced), System or Application to see which works best for most of your plugins. Some plugins like different settings. I've had the best luck with the System (Enhanced) setting in most of my DAWs. Click OK and OK, then start up DP and take a look.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
dix

Post by dix »

Anyone else getting these white blocks when scaling DP10? They come and go intermittently when I'm scaled. I'm guessing it's something to do with my graphics card? Possibly an El Cap issue.

14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Mung2

Post by Mung2 »

terrybritton wrote:On a Windows 10 computer, go into your program files folder to the MOTU folder and right-click the DP exe icon and then "Properties".
This didn't seem to help.

I'm also having another problem:

My waves plugins (which I'm using on a separate, lower resolution monitor) pause while I'm playing a track. So I can't actually adjust any plugin settings while the track is running. I have to stop the track in order to actually adjust them.

Any advice here?
Mung2

Post by Mung2 »

dix wrote:Anyone else getting these white blocks when scaling DP10? They come and go intermittently when I'm scaled. I'm guessing it's something to do with my graphics card? Possibly an El Cap issue.
I'm personally not having that issue at all. My DP10 scales well. It's just my plugins that are acting up.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

I have a 4k display on my laptop and if available for your video card, I've found that changing the display size in the video driver control panel provides a consistent experience between the hosting app and plugs. Windows UI scaling, not so much. Since I have a 17" display I set the display rez to HD, but for lager displays there are other higher resolutions between HD and 4k that might work for you.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
spiritguitar

Post by spiritguitar »

dix wrote:Anyone else getting these white blocks when scaling DP10? They come and go intermittently when I'm scaled. I'm guessing it's something to do with my graphics card? Possibly an El Cap issue.

I'm also getting these white blocks on a Mac Pro running El Capitan so I can't use scaling yet (I realize this is a Windows thread). I let MOTU know about it. I could sure use larger text on my 30" ACD.

Cheers...RD
DP10; Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz 8-Core; OS10.13.6; 30" ACD; SSL Nucleus 1; Apollo Quad; MM45
http://www.spiritguitar.com
dix

Post by dix »

Hmm. Maybe an El Capitan thing? What graphics card do you have RD?

...oh. I didn't realize this was a Windows feed. Sry Widows peeps!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Helen

Post by Helen »

I posted a TechNote about the white lines in El Cap. Got this response:

"Thanks for reaching out. This is an OS 10.11 issue that we've specifically addressed. The fix will be in the next update. Thanks for your patience."

So they're working on it, and several other things, too.
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
dix

Post by dix »

Helen wrote:I posted a TechNote about the white lines in El Cap. Got this response:

"Thanks for reaching out. This is an OS 10.11 issue that we've specifically addressed. The fix will be in the next update. Thanks for your patience."

So they're working on it, and several other things, too.
Very cool! Nice to hear they're still concerned about users with older OSs.