MIDI trouble: Double and "Late" Recording

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
creamsodase
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI trouble: Double and "Late" Recording

Post by creamsodase »

Hello everyone, i'm having a lot of trouble with MIDI lately on DP10.

Everytime i try to record MIDI with my CASIO PX5-S ( and let me mind you this only happens in DP10, every other DAW is fine) this happens:

1) i hit Record, play some notes (lets say im repeatedly playing an arpeggio like "A B C D")

2) as soon as i start playing, the 4 arpeggio notes are recorded like a chord in the first beat

3) after a while my recording start "doubling": whathever im playing is correctly being recorded, but it is also being "doubled" a few beats behind and messing all the recorded MIDI track :banghead:

I hope i was clear with that description, it's like whenever i try to record it ends up recording the same thing twice with a few seconds of difference and it gets really messed up.

I'm not sure if these things are the cause of the problem:
My Focusrite MIDI appears twice on the bundle editor, one time as "Focusrite MIDI device" and another as "Focusrite MIDI device [Emulated]" (if i play a note on my CASIO, the emulated device lights up in the MIDI monitor).

I also have a MicroKorg XL+, usb-connected that has no issues during MIDI recording.

My gear is:
Windows 10 Computer, Digital Performer 10
MIDI Keyboard: Casio PX-5S and MicroKorg XL+
Interface: 1st gen Focusrite USB 6i6
Latest Driver on everything.
rolandk
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MIDI trouble: Double and "Late" Recording

Post by rolandk »

I've been having issues on a 2nd gen 6i6 on a PC with DP10. I just updated to DP10 after a long hiatus and wanted to use it on my PC. But when I began recording MIDI I realized something was off.

At first, the drift and note lengths were entirely off what I had played, whereas in Studio One, the performance was recorded as expected; accurate with a little jitter every few notes due to computers yadda yadda yadda.

I spoke to Focusrite who told me to update to the latest ASIO driver (4.83, I think.) after which the timing issue was corrected, but NOW I'm getting DOUBLE NOTES being recorded in both DP and Studio One. Ugh.

(NOTE: I already had that 4.83 driver installed, as far as I know, because I am current using v3.60 of Focusrite Control software, which apparently installs that very same driver. Well, by reinstalling it, I've created a whole new category of mystery as to why I'm not getting the performance I expect.)

So, just from my perspective, I'm starting to think that this is a Focusrite driver issue. I can't be sure. But it's pointing in that direction after the drastic change to expected behavior, now in 2 separate DAWs.