DP 10: a second attempt

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 10: a second attempt

Post by Gravity Jim »

I couldn't get DP 10 to run. Finally Travis at MOTU suggested some things that might work, and it seemed they did.

Now, with the program apparently running fine, I opened up the window to create multiple new instrument tracks with options. Asked for five tracks, each with a MIDI track and in folders.

Insta-lock. I think I may actually use the 30 money-back guarantee and just use 9.52 until I completely retire. :surrender:

EDIT: I didn't really give up. See more recent posts for confirmation.
Last edited by Gravity Jim on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Re: DP 10: one thing after the other

Post by Michael Canavan »

Gravity Jim wrote:I couldn't get DP 10 to run. Finally Travis at MOTU suggested some things that might work, and it seemed they did.

Now, with the program apparently running fine, I opened up the window to create multiple new instrument tracks with options. Asked for five tracks, each with a MIDI track and in folders.

Insta-lock. I think I may actually use the 30 money-back guarantee and just use 9.52 until I completely retire. :surrender:
I know I'm constantly saying this, but it's because 90% of the time it's the main problem.
Start DP10 with no plug ins VST AU wise, and try the same thing. If it works then you know it's a plug in issue.

I had a pretty easy instal and the transition to DP10 has been relatively painless, but plug in evaluation etc. was a bit rough. I get the impression their requirements in DP10 are tougher.

At the very least you'll find out what was the cause of your issues, since not everyone is having them, and it's always good to have knowledge to share. Plus not being that guy with issues who doesn't outline what he's tried etc. that I know you don't appreciate at all. :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, let me clarify. I’ve been working with Travis at MOTU for two days, and we’ve tried all the usual stuff... reinstalling DP 10, dumping prefs files, changing settings in DP, etc etc. Not only will it still not run without crashing, now DP 9.52 exhibits the same behavior.

I am going to get my money back, throw away both versions of DP and every MOTU file I can find in the library, and then I’m going to reinstall 9.52. If it works, great. If not, I’ve got Logic Pro, which I can switch to when 9.52 wont run under the current OS anymore.

Gentlemen and the occasional lady, thanks for the help over the years. I have come to the end of my upgrade path. ;)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Gravity Jim wrote: I am going to get my money back,
Why? I have none of the problems you have, it's obviously something on your system that's incompatible, and it's a given that bugs can present themselves for software when it codes even tighter to the rules. Or simply, something outside of MOTU and DP10 can break DP10 that does not break DP9. You're literally experiencing the exact type of issues with DP you have consistently chided users about who posted their issues on these very forums.

Here are a couple more things to consider:

DP10 on OSX side is 64 bit only now, unlike DP9. <-- This could be an issue.

Like I mentioned the absolute first thing to check when you get total crashes etc, in any DAW really, is plug ins. If you can run it without plug ins then you know that one is incompatible. At first DP10 crashed a few times, but after going through all plug ins and making sure no failed plug ins were loading things are fine here. 400+ plug ins loaded.

Third party drivers: audio card, mice, control surfaces, keyboards etc. all are suspect.

I'm mentioning all of this because your problem is unique, but your computer is not. Macs rarely have issues that are specific to one iteration, and they don't pop up like you're experiencing. What is unique is your particular combination of hardware drivers, plug ins and workflow, with workflow being the least likely suspect here. I'm aware that you and the MOTU guy may have tried most of this, but both of you are only human, and frustration often blocks rational, making people miss the basics of troubleshooting.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I understand Jim's decision. DP 10 has been near perfect for me, and I can't repeat his latest bug on my system. But I had problems with a few things on my new setup, and spend many hours over the last six weeks with tech support people all over the world. Obviously its a problem with my system, but no one can figure out what it is. At some point you have to stop worrying about it, hit the delete key, and move on. I suppose he feels the same.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I seem to have encountered the same curse as Jim. I have a new Mac Mini running OS 10.14.3 that DP 9.5.2 has been running flawlessly on. I renamed that app to Digital Performer 9_5_2 to keep DP 10 from overwriting it. The first time I attempted to launch DP 10, it asked for my name/email/keycode which I entered, and then it promptly crashed. Every subsequent attempt to launch also immediately crashes. Now when I attempt to launch v. 9.5.2, it exhibits the same crash behavior. I tried removing all my plugins, and booting in safe mode. nothing helped.

Jim, would you mind sharing what Travis had you do that got it initially running?
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

This is totally a FWIW comment, but I offer it as just a bit of info.

My system is very similar to the OP’s. I began having random problems with key software. Things that were formally very solid were much less so. One DAW program (dont remember which) in particular had become pretty much unusable, but other stuffy was just “twitchy” and weird crap would happen every so often. It wasn’t unworkable, and in retrospect I was amazed how I just gradually adopted workarounds without thinking about it over time.

Anyway, and here’s the point, my HD went south and I decided to do a fresh install of the OS and software (plugins and all). It was a multi-day monumental PIA....but afterwards the damn thing performed like new. And what I realized is that the last several generations of OS installs had been via updates. My guess is that over the years and many OS updates, crap just accreted in the system and somewhere along the way instability was introduced.

Anyway, an extreme action that I was forced into, but it unexpectedly solved a lot of issues and left me in a better place.

Good luck with everything.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bkshepard wrote:I seem to have encountered the same curse as Jim. I have a new Mac Mini running OS 10.14.3 that DP 9.5.2 has been running flawlessly on. I renamed that app to Digital Performer 9_5_2 to keep DP 10 from overwriting it. The first time I attempted to launch DP 10, it asked for my name/email/keycode which I entered, and then it promptly crashed. Every subsequent attempt to launch also immediately crashes. Now when I attempt to launch v. 9.5.2, it exhibits the same crash behavior. I tried removing all my plugins, and booting in safe mode. nothing helped.

Jim, would you mind sharing what Travis had you do that got it initially running?
New Mini here too on the same OS. The difference is I didn't rename DP 9 and it got overwritten. From posts in other topics, it's clear that 9 and 10 get in each others' way in some places that show up on some systems.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I got a quick reply to my TechLink this morning from Brendan at MOTU. Turns out in my case it was MOTU's own LiveRoomB.bundle in Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-ins > MAS folder that was the culprit. I removed that and all is well with both my 10 and 9.5.2 versions! Pretty sure a fix will be in an upcoming update. Good luck everyone!
-Brian

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Thanks for the update, Brian!
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm expecting a call from Travis at MOTU this AM, but I'm going to try that Live Room removal first. Thanks!

bk shepherd, Travis directed me to Setup --> Configure Audio System --> Configure Studio Settings, and to increase the Prime Milliseconds number from the default of 125 to 500.

As for why I'd stop upgrading forever at the point: I'm 62, my career is winding down, and DP 9.52 works great. Why beat my head?

EDIT: Removing LiveRoomB might have actually fixed it! A torture test that crashed it every time worked fine this morning. Well, incredibly slow, but fine.
Jim Bordner

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

After talking with Travis, we're both at a loss to explain the current behavior. DP10 is running, and we agreed that I should just thrash on it today and see if it breaks. Still not crazy about how it's loading Kontakt 6 instances, but it's not broken. Yet.
Jim Bordner

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

In the Windows version we do also have a LiveRoomB bundle at
C:\ProgramData\MOTU\Plug-ins\LiveRoomB

I have not NOTICED anything wonky yet, but I have been only very cautiously tipping my toe into the water with DP10 so far and am still using DP9.52 for most things.

Still, I would love to hear WHAT it was about the LiveRoomB bundle that was broken on the Mac version and whether I should remove it here in the Windows version as well.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, it's still crashing for virtually no reasons, so I'm giving up. It's back to 9.52 for me, which is fine... I don't think DP10 does anything I care about. I only upgraded to stay current.
Jim Bordner

bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Gravity Jim wrote:bk shepherd, Travis directed me to Setup --> Configure Audio System --> Configure Studio Settings, and to increase the Prime Milliseconds number from the default of 125 to 500..
I couldn't even get it to launch in order to make that setting. I'll take a look at that when I get home later today. In the meantime, removing the LiveRoomB seems to be working. Brendan also recommended the following as a more permanent solution that also might let me continue to use LiveRoomB:
  • Quit DP
  • Go to motu.com/download and get the DP 10 installer for Mac
  • Then go to Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > throw the MAS folder in the Trash
  • Click the ‘Go’ drop down menu from Finder while holding the ‘option’ key and select ‘Library’. Go to the Preferences folder. Drag the ‘com.motu.DigitalPerformer’ and 'com.motu.MotuAudioSystem' folders to the deskop.
  • Run the DP 10 installer
  • Reopen DP 10, let it scan plugins, and try opening again.
I'll try that this afternoon as well and report.
-Brian