DP 10 : can't copy MIDI data in Tracks?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 10 : can't copy MIDI data in Tracks?

Post by williemyers »

hi all,

this one could be a deal-breaker for me...

I've recorded a few bars of MIDI data in a single track of an Instrument track in the Tracks (Overview) window.
records fine, plays back fine.

Now, if I select a couple of bars - - little single-fingered white glove shows up - - , then press Option - - turns to double-fingered white glove (as before) - - and I drag the couple of selected bars to a new location on the same track.....nothin'.... no copy made.... :(

Thoughts?

btw, this is startin' to feel a lot like a (confirmed by MOTU) bug back at the release of 9.0
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61351

**************UPDATE*****************

in fact, this gets a *whole* lot worse!!
turns out that if I, say:
(a.) record 10 bars of MIDI,
(b.) select bars 8-10 for copying,
(c.) using Option-drag, attempt (as above) to select and drag bars 8-10, to bar 15, but
(d.) no copy is made *AND*
(e.) some of teh original notes in bars 8-10 have been erased!

DEFINITE deal-breaker!

again. please note that this only seems to be happening the Tracks Overview window
(where I edit all teh time :()
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
dix

Re: DP 10 : can't copy MIDI data in Tracks?

Post by dix »

Hmm. Nope. Option-dragging to copy in the TO is working here as it always has....sry?

What's not working and is driving me nuts is Shift-dragging MIDI to another track in the SE is not constraining the selection in time. It constrains within the track, but not when you drag to another track in the SE. ...Now I'm curious if others are experiencing this too. Anyone?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Working here as well. Be sure you are dragging to a similar track (MIDI to MIDI, AUDIO to AUDIO, etc.) Just OPTION dragging will not create a new track.

Is it working for audio tracks? How about option dragging within the SAME track?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Option and Shift dragging both working OK here.

Is it possible that the Option key is assigned to something at the system level, so DP isn't seeing it? Also, even if that is not happening, the Option with a mouse move invokes a zoom in DP. If for some reason you select and then move the mouse so it's not selecting the objects any more, it will go into zoom mode.

On Shift drag, I've always found it difficult. I have to press the shift key at exactly the right moment, just as the object starts moving, or maybe immediately after that for it to work. I think this get complicated when using wireless keyboards and pointing devices because of latency in their function.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

and the big winner was.....
a folder full of "com.motu" preference files, hanging around from previous installs.
details to follow....
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs

~me
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

so fwiw,
I got a great guy from MOTU tech on the phone yesterday a.m.
first thing he did was to verify the problem as i had described it. then, he accessed my screen(s) and, sure enough, he could not "opt-drag" any MIDI data.
after we had backed up a couple of files - - custom bindings, etc. - - he opened my "Users>me>Library>Preferences".
there, he grabbed a folder, "com.motu.DigitalPerformer" and removed it from the Library.
time to open a new DP proj. and boom - - complete "opt-drag" functionality! and a new "com.motu.DigitalPerformer" folder built in my "Users>me>Library>Preferences".
All pretty standard troubleshooting stuff, but I thought what came next was interesting.
While he was in "Users>me>Library>Preferences", he noticed a second folder, "DigitalPerformer". and when he/we opened it we found that it contained a number of similar/identical (but older) pref files to the ones in the new "com.motu.DigitalPerformer" folder. And he (strongly) suggested that I trash that "Digital Performer" folder. He opined that it was very likely that my "opt-drag" problem was caused by DP getting confused exactly which "pref" files to follow. And when I asked him where (the hell) that folder had come from, he offered that, based on the dates, it appeared that it had been building up over quite a few years/versions/installs....going back to 2008....
damn....
I trashed the "DigitalPerformer" folder and DP10's been bulletproof ever since.

~me
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

williemyers wrote:so fwiw,
I trashed the "DigitalPerformer" folder and DP10's been bulletproof ever since.
Good stuff. I wonder if preferences accounts for other issues some have noticed? My set up was a recent fresh install and an overwrite of DP 9. I haven't been able to repeat very many of the reported problems. We know from other posts that DP 9 and 10 interfere with each other, so deleting V9 preferences or putting 10 on separate partition might be the first thing to try.
dix

Post by dix »

williemyers wrote:and the big winner was.....
a folder full of "com.motu" preference files, hanging around from previous installs.
details to follow....
Wow! That's crazy. And deleting this fixed the Option-drag problem?...as well as stabilized DP10 overall?
bayswater wrote:Option and Shift dragging both working OK here.
Thanks for checking this bayswater. To confirm, Shift-dragging MIDI to another track in the SE remains constrained? Shift-dragging within a track is working for me, just not between tracks. Shift-dragging audio between tracks is okay too. Only MIDI isn't constraining....yes, getting Shift-drag to constrain the desired direction is a bit fiddly, but apparently I'm used to it. I didn't realize how often I used it until it wasn't working.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:To confirm, Shift-dragging MIDI to another track in the SE remains constrained?
Yes, but as I said, it's real fussy to get the timing between the grab and the shift key just right. Yesterday I tossed all my bluetooth stuff and went to wired so I'll check to see if that helps later today.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

bayswater wrote:...We know from other posts that DP 9 and 10 interfere with each other, so deleting V9 preferences or putting 10 on separate partition might be the first thing to try.
ka-CHING!

~me
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

williemyers wrote:
bayswater wrote:...We know from other posts that DP 9 and 10 interfere with each other, so deleting V9 preferences or putting 10 on separate partition might be the first thing to try.
ka-CHING!
What we did, is saved our DP9 prefs to what we call our 'clean prefs' folder in OS X documents. When we installed DP10, we trashed all exiting DP prefs in library, and built new ones. Then also backed them up in that same 'clean prefs' folder. ... so that we can grab whichever set of prefs we need for that days work. (We keep an alias on desktop for the 'preferences' folder so we can just option drag from our clean prefs folder into it. Our 'clean prefs' folder also has an alias on desktop. A wonderfully easy thing to do after the prefs are actually built, and after a crash, we can put in a clean set and be back to work in less than 2 minutes.)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
dix

Post by dix »

bayswater wrote:
dix wrote:To confirm, Shift-dragging MIDI to another track in the SE remains constrained?
Yes, but as I said, it's real fussy to get the timing between the grab and the shift key just right. Yesterday I tossed all my bluetooth stuff and went to wired so I'll check to see if that helps later today.
Another issue I'm having (and possibly a bug) is that dragging MIDI, constrained or not, from track to track in the SE in DP10 always makes a copy of the data, as if I were Option-dragging. In DP9 MIDI is simply moved when you drag it to another track without a modifier pressed.

Anyone else experience this?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:Anyone else experience this?
YES !! How did I miss that earlier? It does. And 9.5.2 doesn't. I can't see anything in the manual indicating a change in moving versus copying MIDI.

Works as expected in the Tracks editor.

Also, back to your original question, now I have the mouse and keyboard set up, I'm finding shift dragging to another track is not working properly as you suggest. Works fine in the originating track, but when dragging to another track with all of the snap options turned off, MIDI notes are moving freely when arriving at the new track.

Have you posted a tech link?
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks bayswater. I haven't posted a TechLink on this yet. Busy. I will soon. Your confirmation helps.

If you, or anyone, would care to check another issue. Split Notes causes a crash 100% of the time for me.

So (after saving), select MIDI notes in the SE or TO and then Region > Split Notes > Copy or Cut > to an existing track = Crash. ...Copying to New Track is okay.

This would be one workaround for the constrain issue, but alas...

Thanks again.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

dix wrote:...Another issue I'm having (and possibly a bug) is that dragging MIDI, constrained or not, from track to track in the SE in DP10 always makes a copy of the data, as if I were Option-dragging. In DP9 MIDI is simply moved when you drag it to another track without a modifier pressed.
Anyone else experience this?
hey guys, FWIW - *after* I did the "Pref cleanout" described above - if I move MIDI data *within* a track, no copy made, but if I move it from one track to another...leaves a copy back in the original spot.
And again, this *after* the prefs cleanout, so I don't think prefs is likely to be the answer here?

~me