DP10 Clips

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP10 Clips

Post by crduval »

I've been playing with DP10 for a few days. I had hoped that the Clips window might offer an Ableton-like way for me to quickly record ideas and play with arrangements.

However, there is no way (other than directly writing MIDI data into a MIDI track) to record directly into a clip. Instead you have to switch to another edit window to record something, then cut/paste into a clip slot. BTW, don't copy/paste, otherwise both the clip and the source material will play at the same time. :lol:

I can see the use for live performance and for musically organizing sample loops, so this is not a criticism per se, just more of an expectational mis-match on my part, I guess.
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Michael Canavan

Re: DP10 Clips

Post by Michael Canavan »

crduval wrote: However, there is no way (other than directly writing MIDI data into a MIDI track) to record directly into a clip. Instead you have to switch to another edit window to record something, then cut/paste into a clip slot. BTW, don't copy/paste, otherwise both the clip and the source material will play at the same time. :lol:
Clips is definitely a .0 release for sure. I do not experience double playin of the clip if it's in the Timeline as well though? are you sure you're copying it to the same track? this is what I've done, and it works just like Live and Bitwig that way where a playing Clip mutes audio on the timeline and visa versa etc.

There are a few caveats to Clips if you're coming from Live, they don't have their own separate launch quantizations, and they cannot currently record into the timeline on their own, you can bus the audio to a track and record it though. They said that direct recording will be implemented within the DP10 update cycle though. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Also not seeing any double playback with copying. I've thrown together a couple of sessions from scratch just using Clips for the hell of it and it's been quite robust. The only hitch came when I tried to invoke Groove Quantize during playback; that got me some wheels and glitchy, very long delays. But it was more curiosity than anything as I don't use Groove Quantize anyway (try to avoid quantize, period).
crduval

Post by crduval »

As a matter of fact, I was going through some groove quantize settings just to learn more about that feature (which I have never used) when I noticed the double play, so maybe that's what did it for me...
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
fokof

Post by fokof »

crduval wrote:I've been playing with DP10 for a few days. I had hoped that the Clips window might offer an Ableton-like way for me to quickly record ideas and play with arrangements.
Yep , me too.

I was hoping for "Live Meets Polar" kinda thing where one would be Able to (n) loop without having to stop playing. (with a foot controller)

I didn't bought the Live update when I saw that but I guess I'll have to stick to Live for now , for that feature anyway.

To be able to do that , DP might have to be heavily modified/re-wrtitten me thinks.
Since I started using it (DP 2) , it always take a little time to analyse and create the soundbite after you press stop , so to do a seamless loop like Live do might be quite a task for them. Maybe with a little help of Polar ? (Using RAM then integrate seamless with HD)