DP Control App?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jackibar
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP Control App?

Post by jackibar »

I remember a while back there was an ipad/iphone app that let you control DP with your device. Is that still around? If so, how do I find it?!

Thanks!

Jacki
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Control App?

Post by stubbsonic »

I don't know if you can still access it from the app store. I also don't think it currently works. There have been some discussions here about whether MOTU might update it and get it working again.

In the meantime, there are other apps that can work. Look for "Pro Tools | Control" If I'm not mistaken, that one does all the basic functions, transport and some track stuff.

There are other good ones that cost you some. I didn't end up trying any of them, but you might try searching this forum for those threads about alternatives to DP Control.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

stubbsonic wrote:I don't know if you can still access it from the app store. I also don't think it currently works. There have been some discussions here about whether MOTU might update it and get it working again.

In the meantime, there are other apps that can work. Look for "Pro Tools | Control" If I'm not mistaken, that one does all the basic functions, transport and some track stuff.

There are other good ones that cost you some. I didn't end up trying any of them, but you might try searching this forum for those threads about alternatives to DP Control.
I bought and tried around 8 of them (the apps are all pretty cheap!)

None of them really worked well. The best for me was Daw Control, but I didn't really love it and don't use it. It was basically a Mackie emulator, as were all the others.

The ProTools one is free, and it emulates Eucon, which is way cooler than Mackie Control or MCU, but it was weird to set up, really buggy, and would lose connection all the time.

DP Control was the best because it was written specifically for DP.

I still can't understand, with every other DAW out there having their own solely dedicated iPad app, why Motu abandoned their's?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

JSmith1234567 wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:I don't know if you can still access it from the app store. I also don't think it currently works. There have been some discussions here about whether MOTU might update it and get it working again.

None of them really worked well. The best for me was Daw Control, but I didn't really love it and don't use it. It was basically a Mackie emulator, as were all the others.

The ProTools one is free, and it emulates Eucon, which is way cooler than Mackie Control or MCU, but it was weird to set up, really buggy, and would lose connection all the time.

I still can't understand, with every other DAW out there having their own solely dedicated iPad app, why Motu abandoned their's?
I think it's still there, but only seems to work on a limited set of iOS versions. I had it working on iOS4 on an ancient iPod, although it reports on startup that it won't work. I think somewhere around iOS 7 it stopped working and was never updated. So if you're using V6 it will probably appear in the App Store and may work. Otherwise, not worth the effort.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

bayswater wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:

I think it's still there, but only seems to work on a limited set of iOS versions. I had it working on iOS4 on an ancient iPod, although it reports on startup that it won't work. I think somewhere around iOS 7 it stopped working and was never updated. So if you're using V6 it will probably appear in the App Store and may work. Otherwise, not worth the effort.
I can't even figure out how to revert to an older IOS?

I Googled it and it looks fairly complicated to do.

The best outcome would be for Motu to resurrect DP Control???
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

No you can't go back on iOS, at least not without a lot of hacking. It's pretty obvious that MOTU is not going to update this. So the alternative is to try one of the many 3rd party apps. If you search this place for DP control you'll see a few of them and the experiences people have had with them.
jackibar

Post by jackibar »

Thanks so much for the info, everyone! I really appreciate it! I do wish MOTU would provide this app again!!
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

jackibar wrote:Thanks so much for the info, everyone! I really appreciate it! I do wish MOTU would provide this app again!!
I second that!
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

JSmith1234567 wrote:
jackibar wrote:Thanks so much for the info, everyone! I really appreciate it! I do wish MOTU would provide this app again!!
I second that!
I third it!
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

Or, pick up an old iPhone 4 or 4S and somehow get DP Control on it. It's a matter of being on an old iOS.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

TinenTech wrote:Or, pick up an old iPhone 4 or 4S and somehow get DP Control on it. It's a matter of being on an old iOS.
I have a 4S. It has iOS 7 on it and most of them are likely to have it too. DP Control doesn't work properly on it.
Tidwells@aol.com

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

I still use an iPhone 4s. I just searched the App store and DP Control is there and I just downloaded it and booted it up! Maybe later today I will have time to test and see if it works well. Apparently the App Store only shows apps that are compatible with your device/Ios version. For years, I've been using DP Control on an old iPod Touch which I "quarantine" from the internet and never update the iOS version. I've used it for our live shows, and it has worked well. You might consider picking up a used iPod Touch on eBay...If you get the right device with the right iOS version, DP Control is still available for free download at the App Store.

Doug
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote:I still use an iPhone 4s. I just searched the App store and DP Control is there and I just downloaded it and booted it up! Maybe later today I will have time to test and see if it works well. Apparently the App Store only shows apps that are compatible with your device/Ios version. For years, I've been using DP Control on an old iPod Touch which I "quarantine" from the internet and never update the iOS version. I've used it for our live shows, and it has worked well. You might consider picking up a used iPod Touch on eBay...If you get the right device with the right iOS version, DP Control is still available for free download at the App Store.

Doug
Can I ask what IOS your's is running?

Thanks!
Tidwells@aol.com

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

I just checked my old iPod Touch that works well with DP Control and it is on iOS version 6.2.

Doug
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote:I just checked my old iPod Touch that works well with DP Control and it is on iOS version 6.2.

Doug
Hey thanks very much for the info!

I appreciate it!