Linux Support

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
jsmarti
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Linux Support

Post by jsmarti »

I would like to know about discussions regarding Linux support for MOTU devices. I am particularly interested in Ubuntu 18.04 drivers for the MOTU 24 Ao interface. I do particular work with these devices which is not necessarily constrained to audio. In general, I try to use the PortAudio library to send different types of waveforms to this 24 channel device.

I wonder if there is any kind of drivers for MOTU on Linux. If not, what would be a solution to this problem?
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Linux Support

Post by Gravity Jim »

Write your own driver.

Get someone else to write a driver.

Petition MOTU maniacally.

I know there are people working on Firewire and USB drivers for audio interfaces for Linux, but I think you need a class-compliant device, like the smaller interfaces from M-Audio, Scarlett, Roland/Edirol, etc.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
jsmarti

Post by jsmarti »

A solution I was afraid of unfortunately. I have no experience writing drivers and I am constrained to using this 24 channel device (Ao 24).

The interesting thing is that to send data to the channels, I use the PortAudio I/O library. A simple code to play a sinusoidal tone on Windows (drivers installed) plays smoothly. The same code ran on linux plays a sinusoidal pattern of some kind of distorted wave. What shocked me is that it actually plays something and has a periodic pattern of the specified duration.

I though that I could find a workaround to the driver problem somehow since I am still able to play data into individual channels for a fixed duration.
Appsii

Post by Appsii »

I have a motu 4pre and really want linux support too.
VennStone
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by VennStone »

The motu 4pre works with the FFADO drivers.
SmartDoc48
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by SmartDoc48 »

Will it work with 896MK3 hybrid?