Is bouncing individual tracks "all at once" possible yet?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is bouncing individual tracks "all at once" possible yet?

Post by Dan Worley »

Hi. I want to bounce individual tracks all at once. Is this possible? It doesn't seem to be. To be clear, if I select 32 tracks, I want 32 separate files with plugins and automation with one bounce.

Maybe freeze? Not sure.

Thanks!
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Is bouncing individual tracks "all at once" possible yet

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I doubt it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Dan Worley wrote:Hi. I want to bounce individual tracks all at once. Is this possible? It doesn't seem to be. To be clear, if I select 32 tracks, I want 32 separate files with plugins and automation with one bounce.

Maybe freeze? Not sure.
Yeah, freeze is exactly what you want. The only "problem" (which isn't really one) is that it's done in real time, so it'll take as long as your music lasts.

Just remember that Freeze does NOT capture anything sent to FXs or aux tracks down the chain. It only captures whatever there is at the track level. Bouncing, OTOH, would capture anything that is routed tho the master output and play-enabled. So you must decide on the proper workflow depending on what you want to capture in your individual tracks.

BTW, BTD does have a few caveats as well when you bounce individual tracks or even stems.

Oh, and if you use Freeze, make sure you have enough free available bundles/buses (at least as many as your desired frozen tracks), so DP auto-assigns them automatically correctly.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
reedster

Post by reedster »

by using a surround output you can bounce up to 12 (10.2) tracks simultaneously. If your audio interface has fewer than 12 outputs, you can setup an Aggregate device to combine interfaces and built-in output.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Another workaround (which I think FM also uses) involves some planning ahead. If you know which tracks you are going to want to bounce, or which groups of tracks you will want to bounce to stems, set it up in your template or project routing beforehand. For every tracks or bus you are going to bounce, don't route directly to the main output, instead, route them to another audio track with Monitoring enabled. Route these audio tracks to the main output, group them and hide them. When ready for the "bounce", unhide them, turn off monitoring, record enable them, and press record.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

What Bays said.

And I agree... since Freezing happens at the same speed of real-time recording, it's much easier and faster to setup to record your pre-routed tracks instead of freezing them.

Then, if you feel you must dither your recorded stems (i.e., to get rid of the quantisation distortion from 32bFP to 24bf or 16bf in the subgroups), it's a piece of cake to setup with your favourite dither with this added control, especially if everything is already pre-routed as part of your template (or you can choose to print to 32bFP to avoid all this).
Last time I checked, the Dither command in he Audio menu does NOT add the dither to the 24 bits file when merging and I think when freezing, but I'd need to double check again about the Freeze command to be sure (it only dithers correctly for 16 bits and a few other arbitrary bit depths, IIRC, but NOT 24 bits).

When freezing you don't really have that kind of control, so that's another thing you may want to consider when deciding which workflow is best suited for you.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote:Another workaround (which I think FM also uses) involves some planning ahead. If you know which tracks you are going to want to bounce, or which groups of tracks you will want to bounce to stems, set it up in your template or project routing beforehand. For every tracks or bus you are going to bounce, don't route directly to the main output, instead, route them to another audio track with Monitoring enabled. Route these audio tracks to the main output, group them and hide them. When ready for the "bounce", unhide them, turn off monitoring, record enable them, and press record.
This seems like it would prevent PreGen.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

reedster wrote:by using a surround output you can bounce up to 12 (10.2) tracks simultaneously. If your audio interface has fewer than 12 outputs, you can setup an Aggregate device to combine interfaces and built-in output.
That would be 12 mono files right? Interesting workaround.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
reedster

Post by reedster »

Michael Canavan wrote:
reedster wrote:by using a surround output you can bounce up to 12 (10.2) tracks simultaneously. If your audio interface has fewer than 12 outputs, you can setup an Aggregate device to combine interfaces and built-in output.
That would be 12 mono files right? Interesting workaround.
Yes, or one could interleave the files by renaming them - but - in testing today renaming is tedious and there are panning issues.

Alternatively - an easier solution is the File / Bounce Settings / Multi Bounce menu item. One can use Bounce to Disk with Save Settings for Bounce Again option and create presets. Make each preset have a different source. Then in Multi Bounce, choose the presets you want to queue. For mono files only use an odd numbered bus as the source.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Thanks, everyone, for your advice and workarounds. Much appreciated. I will try them all and see which one(s) fit my needs. I already do a version of some of these. I was hoping MOTU would add "Track Bounce" like PT has. Very handy. I think Logic has similar with File > Export > All Tracks as Audio Files. Anyway, onward...
DP10.13