DP10 - MOTU please

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
steff3
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP10 - MOTU please

Post by steff3 »

MOTU, if offering a Windows version, and still supporting (what - 32 bit Windows) - please allow custom installation ..... really ... I would never touch any Windows OS before 8.1 and nothing 32bit ....

I do not need deprecated code structures on my hard disk.

Best
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP10 - MOTU please

Post by HCMarkus »

This is not MOTU. This is an independent site for users of MOU gear.
steff3

Post by steff3 »

Yes, I know ;)

Here it also seems they have to refine their VST3 implementation - most VST3s came out as problematic (disabled) (Win 10 64bit, DP10 64bit) e.g. Pianoteq latest, HALion, lots of Plugin Alliance stuff ....

Any other experiences with that?

Thanks

Best
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 10 is supposed to support VST 3. Previous versions do not and never have.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toddbooster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by toddbooster »

Oh yes, VST3 is at best a crapshoot. All of my IK Multimedia T-Racks Custom Shop plugins and Tone Booster plugins failed validation, as well as some Softube stuff (Tape and TSAR-1), Scaler, TrackSpacer, and Slate VMR (which never passed VST2 either in 9.5).
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
toddbooster

Post by toddbooster »

And yes, to your original point, it's a major nuisance to not be able to install only the 64 bit version. I haven't used 32 bit Windows since Vista in like, 2006.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

toddbooster wrote:Oh yes, VST3 is at best a crapshoot. All of my IK Multimedia T-Racks Custom Shop plugins and Tone Booster plugins failed validation, as well as some Softube stuff (Tape and TSAR-1), Scaler, TrackSpacer, and Slate VMR (which never passed VST2 either in 9.5).
To this, personally I'm OK with the newest plug in evaluation code in the latest update getting stricter on things. I've had some VST2 issues in OSX with plug ins that passed evaluation, the whole idea was to have knowledge on which plug ins weren't meeting the requirements of the format, passing plug ins that crash your system is a way less desirable outcome IMO than multiple failing plug ins on a new system. The evaluation procedure is just a PITA and worthless if it's not catching failing plug ins. :smash:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
toddbooster

Post by toddbooster »

Michael Canavan wrote:To this, personally I'm OK with the newest plug in evaluation code in the latest update getting stricter on things. I've had some VST2 issues in OSX with plug ins that passed evaluation, the whole idea was to have knowledge on which plug ins weren't meeting the requirements of the format, passing plug ins that crash your system is a way less desirable outcome IMO than multiple failing plug ins on a new system. The evaluation procedure is just a PITA and worthless if it's not catching failing plug ins. :smash:
I get what you're saying, but this is the same group of VST3s I use on my system in Other DAWs with no issue whatsoever. I wish I knew what the failure point was for the plugin scanner, so I would be able to judge on my own whether there's actually a problem, or if DP is just being paranoid (or broken). After all, neither Studio One 4 and it's "New Robust Plugin Scanner®", Tracktion Waveform, nor that DAW with the name which I gather cannot be written here consider these plugins to be threatening in any way.
jsg

Post by jsg »

toddbooster wrote:Oh yes, VST3 is at best a crapshoot. All of my IK Multimedia T-Racks Custom Shop plugins and Tone Booster plugins failed validation, as well as some Softube stuff (Tape and TSAR-1), Scaler, TrackSpacer, and Slate VMR (which never passed VST2 either in 9.5).
I installed DP10 today and it is working well, all of my VSTs (Massive, Tera, FM8, Dune3, Kontakt, EZ-Drummer and PianoTeq seem to be recognized and validated by DP...Dune, Z3TA and Massive definitely working fine.

Did find however when opening a patch change in the event list, the patch change list is gooblygook, definitely not intentional...

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com
steff3

Post by steff3 »

Another thing - scaling of UI misses quite some windows. MAS-Plugins (tried to use MW Limiter - remember those from the earlier days with DP2.7 to DP6 on Mac) - too tiny on my high density display ... other plugins also do not get scaled up - but some of the offer that functionality by now ans the often have a more reasonable size to start with.
Also the plugin-window shell (where one selects presets and side-chain input etc.) looks broken ( does not scale well)

anyone one else having issues with plugins an scaling.

thanks

best
toddbooster

Post by toddbooster »

steff3 wrote:Another thing - scaling of UI misses quite some windows. MAS-Plugins (tried to use MW Limiter - remember those from the earlier days with DP2.7 to DP6 on Mac) - too tiny on my high density display ... other plugins also do not get scaled up - but some of the offer that functionality by now ans the often have a more reasonable size to start with.
Also the plugin-window shell (where one selects presets and side-chain input etc.) looks broken ( does not scale well)

anyone one else having issues with plugins an scaling.

thanks

best
Yup, same here. The window around the plugin scales, but the plugin GUI itself does not.