Noise Reduction Plug

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Noise Reduction Plug

Post by westla »

Hi all,

I'm looking for a somewhat simple plug in to reduce background noise/ AC noise, from recordings of live concerts. These recordings are just for archival purposes, and to give to the publisher so people know what the works sound like. I record on a Zoom H5, and then throw it into DP to clean it up. Any suggestions for a plug in to remove background noise? SoundSoap, or Waves W43? Anything else?

Thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Noise Reduction Plug

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Izotope RX works good for that. Of course, simple doesn't necessarily mean inexpensive...

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... it/rx.html
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I got iZotope RX Elements 6 for free. It was an upgrade from some other free iZotope plugin. Elements 7 is not that expensive and might do what you need. But if you're not in a hurry, it could be worth keeping an eye out for any no-brainer deals on their site for V7.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Not to get o/t but it sure would be nice if DP included a decent noise reduction plugin... just sayin...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I just heard this demo and was pretty impressed. Check out both the de-noise, and the de-clipper, the de-reverb is also pretty impressive.

The difference between the standard bundle and the pro bundle is that the pro includes a special combination of De-noise and de-reverb that give you variable control over different frequency ranges.

https://accusonus.com/products/audio-repair

Pretty affordable.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

stubbsonic wrote: Pretty affordable.
??? The BUY link on that site is like $300 for the "one knob" and $500 for the "pro" version. I'd go with Isotope for like $300. Depending on the source material, one might even employ some creative EQ if it's only 60 cycle hum.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

My favorites for archival cleanup of live recordings are a combination of Sound Forge and its cleaning tools with (especially) Spectralayers, the latter recently acquired by Steinberg after a short stint being owned by MAGIX. There is literally not a single cough, squeak or glitch you cannot remove using those two tools (for masters).

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

+1 on the Izotope stuff.

IMO RX-7 is a little pricey, but it really does do a great job. I've not used anything better.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
stubbsonic wrote: Pretty affordable.
??? The BUY link on that site is like $300 for the "one knob" and $500 for the "pro" version. I'd go with Isotope for like $300. Depending on the source material, one might even employ some creative EQ if it's only 60 cycle hum.
It's only $150 for the standard bundle and $400 for the pro bundle that includes ERA-D. All the pages I viewed showed it with the bundle discount, even the buy page. I couldn't find an option to buy any of them a la carte, but that might be possible.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

stubbsonic wrote: It's only $150 for the standard bundle and $400 for the pro bundle that includes ERA-D. All the pages I viewed showed it with the bundle discount, even the buy page. I couldn't find an option to buy any of them a la carte, but that might be possible.
I see that now. Yesterday I didn't see the reduced price. Not a bad deal, IMO. I still like Izotope.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I used to use RX Pro only to get certain tools not in Standard. With 7, Standard now includes all of those tools. Here’s the comparison chart:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... rison.html

Besides the repairs you expect, De-reverb, De-plosive and Mouth De-click can work near miracles when you need them. All were introduced in Pro and are now included in RX 7 Standard.

IMO, people who specialize in audio repair and those doing sound for film need Pro but most users do not. I do like that the individual plugs have additional functionality and can be loaded individually but I’m used to it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I used to use RX Pro only to get certain tools not in Standard. With 7, Standard now includes all of those tools. Here’s the comparison chart:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... rison.html

Besides the repairs you expect, De-reverb, De-plosive and Mouth De-click can work near miracles when you need them. All were introduced in Pro and are now included in RX 7 Standard.

IMO, people who specialize in audio repair and those doing sound for film need Pro but most users do not. I do like that the individual plugs have additional functionality and can be loaded individually but I’m used to it.
How good is the deverb?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I want with Accusonus ERA One Nobs. Been quite happy the few times I've used it. Unfortunately for most nature ambiance sounds, denoisers try to cut out EVERYTHING, so it's kinda rare for my work.

What I usually need is the opposite of a denoiser: something that will seek out ephemeral resonances like birds tweeting or the tone of a passing airplane engine.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

IMHO, RX is a serious tool.

I've had very good results with de-noise, de-clip and de-hum.
Even with very poor tracks.

But not that much with de-verb.
I think de-verb does *some* job, but do not expect clean sound from muddy reverb tracks.

Spectral repair (standalone) might save some erratic sounds, not always, but sometimes.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by westla »

I hear great things about the Accusonus ERA Noise Remover. This is the type of simple plug I was looking for. Does anyone know if it is compatible with DP? They don't mention DP in the notes.