LCR and 5.0

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
studiodesaviateurs
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

LCR and 5.0

Post by studiodesaviateurs »

Hi guys
it would be very useful to be able to create custom formats for audio tracks.
Many ambiances tracks are now delivered by sound effects companies in 5.0 format, sometimes in LCR format (not usable in DP)
We also often found LCR tracks for voices.
J.
mikehalloran

Re: LCR and 5.0

Post by mikehalloran »

I’m guessing that you are not referring to Liquidity Coverage Ratio as is found when one Googles LCR format.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, I'm not familiar with LCR either. I found this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LRC_(file_format)
[link doesn't work for some reason - copy and paste url]

Or do you mean (left, center, right) as in surround? I'm guessing from 5.0 you mean surround. Yes?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

LCR=left, center right in film speak...

This is a problem with stems in DP. You often have stems that are different formats than a printmaster, and for good reason. Why waste tracks and disk space with 5.1 background or dialog tracks just to be able to mix them into a 5.1 printmaster? There needs to be a way to combine different format stems into your final track. Pro Tools does this with sub-tracks that can be assigned to higher format tracks. No way I have found to do this in DP, so you end up doing all your multi-channel work in multi-mono. Not very elegant, and very cumbersome. This alone makes DP unsuitable as a multi-channel mix platform.

BTW, This should probably be in the film section...
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!