Crossfading soundbites- Automatic?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Crossfading soundbites- Automatic?

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Yet another good reason to use multiple tracks. Seriously, one track editing like this really seems dumb to me...
I tend to agree with this. There are only rare occasions when I use crossfades in DP. For punch-ins, copy/paste operations, basic slicing and dicing, etc. I zoom way in and carefully adjust seams to line up with a zero crossing. It's usually an easy point to find and it always sounds good. For long crossfades (say 500ms or longer) I use MLC's technique. I just find it easier to get it exactly as I want. YMMV

Phil
Like you, I edit at the null point and never use a fade to cover a sloppy edit—with DP there is no need once you learn how. As you point out, it’s easy.

Cross fades are always special effects for me. For that reason, I prefer two tracks as it lets me have independent control of both sides. I rarely want an even cross fade which is what you get with a single track.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

Interesting how different people look at crossfades. I rarely use 2 tracks but can see the advantage of it.

I will certainly start using 2 tracks more often as the fades get complicated....
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

funkyfreddy wrote:Interesting how different people look at crossfades. I rarely use 2 tracks but can see the advantage of it.
Same here. There's a lot of flexibility in the crossfade dialog, including independent fadein and fade out, and four edits points on each curve. I prefer having things that go together logically in the same track. If for some reason, these are not enough, you can supplement with Bite Volume curves.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8