It seems my Ultralike Mk3 doesn't like AMD

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
dhstsw
Primary DAW OS: Windows

It seems my Ultralike Mk3 doesn't like AMD

Post by dhstsw »

Long story short:

I switched from an intel daw to a threadripper 2950x one (win 10 pro 64).
Latest chipset drivers, latest 4.0.6.6814 drivers from MOTU (2015, sigh).

In firewire everything works as expected.

In USB (wich would be my go-to connection), glitches and pops.
Tried USB 2, 3, 3 Gen1 ports. All of them, glitches and pops.
All of the ports i tried are directly from the motherboard and the Ultralite is the only device connected to that specific HUB.

Digging i found what seems the culprit: in Control Panel, System, Devices, System Devices there's a "MOTU Audio MIDI Extension".

Disabling/removing it the MIDI ports and the Windows audio couples become unavaiable (but there's still ASIO support) *AND* glitches/pops/crackles dishappear.

Looks like current drivers don't like much AMD Zen architecture (!?).

Any hint/help beside the usual stuff (increasing buffers = still crackles and pops [anyway current system is ways faster than the old one])?
rjwerth

Re: It seems my Ultralike Mk3 doesn't like AMD

Post by rjwerth »

Hey, at least you see your device. I can't even get my AVB Ultralite to even show up with my Ryzen 1800x and B350 MB. I've been trying to work with tech support from MOTU and AMD for WEEKS with no solution.
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

It's quite crazy but i'd point towards not up to date audiocard drivers.

I don't have access to wide avaiable and recent cards so i had to try with what i have.

In the end:

-NI Kontrol1, drivers from 2013: works, with some sporadic audio drops.
-AVID Mbox Mini: drivers from 2014: works, with very rare audio drops, mostly due to agressive antivirus (AV off, no drops).

Both card tried on both USB2 and USB3 headers (WITH other devices connected to the [motherboard] usb hub).

With the MOTU i obtained the best results having it:

-Connected to a USB2 port [with no other devices on the motherboard hub - with other devices it glitches]
-AFTER a factory defaults reset on the hybrid itself.

This way it kind of work. For a while. With some sync loss, glitches and drops happening from time to time.

Every other combination (usb3, usb3.1, with and without other devices connected to the motherboad hub) leads to the aforementioned glitches and drops.

In firewire it works. WHEN it works, i mean.
Meaning that, from time to time, the ULTRALite doesn't want to turn on.
Tried with both "Automatic Power" enabled and disabled.
And yes, there's more than enough power on the firewire header.
(usual TI chipsed based PCI-e card with legacy 1394 drivers).

So, as i imagined, drivers make the difference in USB.
Fact that, at least for my card generation, latest drivers are from 2015, when Zen wasn't even in the dreams of AMD, says it all.

When i buy something i want and need the device to be supported.
Dropping support for Mk3 devices because they need to sell Mk4 or AVB (or TB) cards is a choice of MOTU. As is a choice i can make to buy, next time, something that has a guaranteed device support, as and RME card. Expensive, but, in the end, you buy one card and you're set up nearly forever. Because, seeing how things developed, guess how many chances are there i'll get an ULTRALite Mk4 or AVB. LOL. :lol: Expecially after what you report (they don't even support completely their latest cards).
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

A little note of color:
I tried to switch to the USB audio out of my Virus TI2 Desktop.
Now, TI users know that USB connection with it it's only USB1.1 and b) drivers are complete crap.

Guess what?

Zero clicks, zero pops, perfect playing.

Just to point what is the drivers status of MOTU "legacy" products.
nordlead26

Post by nordlead26 »

it is simply incredible that so many years have passed since this post, and MOTU is Still incompatible with AMD, it is a disrespect to the buyers, since 828mk3 Hybrid, 828X are still sold to the public among other models that share the same drivers of 2015 is outrageous and I insist, is a lack of respect for customers by the part of MOTU, it's extremely frustrating to get a product that can't pay attention to its drivers, and right now that's when I prefer Chinese products instead of U.S. products... The Chinese take care of every detail...
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

...and counting...
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

Latest drivers from september 2022.

Same story.

BTW: in the while i tried a Scarlett Mk3 and even a Behringer cheap a$$ usb audiocard.
Guess what?
Zero problems.