Solution to impossibly large file sizes problem

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
denovo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Solution to impossibly large file sizes problem

Post by denovo »

A while back I posted this problem and got some great suggestions.

Original question

The problem was that being a complete novice, I recorded my DP 2.72 tracks in an inconsistent manner and long story short - each song (and therefore it's audio files) was not in it's own folders.

Trying to tease out each song/track for final mixing was proving to be a nightmare - since some of the mixing and final overdubs are gonna be in PT setups.

I tried to do a "Save As" (duplicate audio data) of each song, but the DP2.72/B&W G3 (rev.1) I was working on kept giving me errors like file sizes were something like 100x what they actually were. The errors that were reported then claimed that there was insufficient disk space ie. files required something like 300 GBs and only 20 GB was available.

Some weeks ago, I got a chance to pick up a rev. 2 B&W G3 for free, I moved files and disks over. I still got the same error. Finally, in exasperation, I installed a new Seagate ATA drive in the machine. Did a fresh install of OS 9.2.2 in an only for audio partition. Then installed a copy of DP 3.11.

Everything works great now and rocks the big bad monkey...I love 9.2.2/DP3.11 - I know some of you are falling down out of your chair and laughing your heads off. But, OS 9.2.2/DP 3.11/MOTU 2408 MkII is a rock hard, stable set up. I'm gonna track on this setup till my project is done.

I'll then move everything over to my laptop running OS X, Presonus Firepod and DP 4.5 to mix and move to PT and back.

Thanks to all who made suggestions and ideas.

Best regards,

Charles :lol: