Open Music Initiative

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
gseibert
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Open Music Initiative

Post by gseibert »

LinkedIn put up an ad about this from IBM concerning using their blockchain tech as part of this. Has anyone run across this before? Seems interesting on the surface.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Music_Initiative
2020 iMac 10 core 32 g ram, Catalina, DP11.04, UA Apollo X4, MTP/av usb, Komplete Ultimate 13,Albion One, BBCSO Core, TX81Z, SPX90, Digitech Studio Quad v2, Tascam DA20 mkII, Alesis ADAT, Roland s750, Mackie line mixer, Korg Z1, Roland A80, DX7, Kurzweil K2500X, Kurzweil K2000R, Kurzweil PC3, Korg 168rc Event 20/20 bas, Mini-Moog, EMS Synthi aks
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Open Music Initiative

Post by mesayre »

I've seen a couple of these blockchain-related proposals floating around in the last couple of years. Another is Mycelia: http://myceliaformusic.org/

If they've managed to actually get tech industry momentum behind this one, I think it could offer some interesting opportunities. I don't have time to read this right now, but OMI has a whitepaper on how their proposal fits into the recently-passed MMA: http://open-music.org/blog/whitepaper

As I understand it, a lot of the implementation details were not in the text of the MMA bill, and there will be a period of wrangling for control now that it's passed. The amount of transparency/accountability we get from tech and label players will depend to some extent on the technology and processes The Collective chooses to adopt. Anything that exposes the data to public scrutiny seems like a good thing.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Library of Congress along with the PROs in many countries are looking at this.

Everyone seems to think it's a pretty good idea but no one has a clue as to how this could be implemented on a practical basis. Those who thought it would be mentioned in any of the recent copyright laws, initiatives or proposals were disappointed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gseibert

Post by gseibert »

Thanks for the insights and links. The tech nerd in me thinks this should be a good idea, but reality often works out differently.
2020 iMac 10 core 32 g ram, Catalina, DP11.04, UA Apollo X4, MTP/av usb, Komplete Ultimate 13,Albion One, BBCSO Core, TX81Z, SPX90, Digitech Studio Quad v2, Tascam DA20 mkII, Alesis ADAT, Roland s750, Mackie line mixer, Korg Z1, Roland A80, DX7, Kurzweil K2500X, Kurzweil K2000R, Kurzweil PC3, Korg 168rc Event 20/20 bas, Mini-Moog, EMS Synthi aks