Thunderbolt on Mac Pro 5,1... It IS actually happening!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Thunderbolt on Mac Pro 5,1... It IS actually happening!

Post by HCMarkus »

monkey man wrote:... which would require that I install (and run, albeit temporarily) OS-emulation software.

Unless I'm missing something, HC? Forgive my obvious ignorance, mate.
Pretty sure you just need Windows 10 and macOS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I don't do, nor have I ever done Windows, Sir Markus, and it'll be a cold day in Hell before I do.

I've always seen running Windows on a Mac as "emulating" a PC, hence the confusion. Sorry bud.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I'm also in the camp of "never will run a Windows emulator" on my Mac 5.1 cheesegrater...

But--I'd LOVE to have TB on this machine, I'm running a UA Apollo using Firewire and it's OK but not great. Coming from using MOTU interfaces/PCIe-424, which was rock-solid. Would like to upgrade to a TB Apollo....

Holding out hope for TB on our machines...!

Greg
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Guys, the Mac pros run Windows natively. Not emulation in any way. You install Windows on a partition. Boot into Windows. Enable the thunderbolt interface. Restart into macOS and you are good to go.

I understand if you don’t want to buy and install Windows on your Mac. Just want to make it clear there is no emulation involved here.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Well that's interesting. I need to look into that then. Does the Windows install need to be on the main boot drive? Once the machine is started, no need to re-boot the Windows partition continually then?

If this is just a matter of a partition (I prefer another drive!) containing an invisible Windows OS running the TB card, then I'm in!

Greg
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

greg328 wrote:1. Does the Windows install need to be on the main boot drive?

2. Once the machine is started, no need to re-boot the Windows partition continually then?

3. If this is just a matter of a partition (I prefer another drive!) containing an invisible Windows OS running the TB card, then I'm in.
1. No. It can be a separate drive or partition. You will be running Windows boot camp.

2. No. Startup in Windows. Warm boot into macOS (restart after connecting thunderbolt and setting startup to your macOS drive/partition.) You are now running completely within macOS environment. Windows just loads the required driver, which survives the warm boot.

3. Windows is not involved again until you shut down and restart.

Watch the video, both parts. Specific details are discussed.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Dammit, I'm being tempted, Sir Markus... and I don't like it!

It's so-close, isn't it? I mean, the difference between having Windows and Mac OS loading the driver/s can't surely be much more than a "simple" port from Windows, could it?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I wonder if there are other users who can corroborate the results touted in this thread. If us cheesegraters can indeed begin incorporating TB in our rigs, that’s a game changer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

greg328 wrote:I wonder if there are other users who can corroborate the results touted in this thread. If us cheesegraters can indeed begin incorporating TB in our rigs, that’s a game changer!

Just check out the links I have provided. It is for real.

Also, it appears one can download and use Windows 10 for free from Microsoft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDHDdt_C3sU

So, to get this all rolling, you need Windows, the Gigabyte Titan Ridge PCIe card, and appropriate cables/adaptors (TB3 to 2) to connect your audio interface. If using a non-Apple EFI GPU, you may want to use the boot manager software found here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bo ... c.2145374/

I'm happy running my MOTU 828es via USB at this point, so I don't think I'm going to immediately invest the time and money required to make TB happen on my 2010 5,1. However, I'll never say never to the possibility. It is compelling!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Following

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Tonio

Post by Tonio »

oooh, thanks for that HC !! just got a Saffire x580 GPU- no boot screen

[quote="HCMarkus
If using a non-Apple EFI GPU, you may want to use the boot manager software found here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bo ... c.2145374/

![/quote]
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

:D
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I wonder if the Windows/ TB connection is maintained after sleep-wake up?

Tonio

Post by Tonio »

:
HCMarkus wrote::D
:lol:

Wish I had installed boot manager prior to putting this monster GPU card in though.....

I'll need to put the 5770 back in just to get to the recovery HD, turn off SIP, then install this puppy :lol:

Better do it before DP10x comes out - whoo hoo !
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I haven't really read this thread. But I have acquired a UAD thunderbolt box. UAD2 - Satellite. I can't use it. I also have and use the UAD-2 Firewire Satellite and PCI Solo. I'm not running out of UAD memory yet, but it sure would be great to figure out a way to use the thunderbolt in addition. I can use it with my MPB, but I almost never do. MacPro 5.1.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..