Kontakt 6?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Kontakt 6?

Post by cuttime »

So far, I haven't seen a single good reason to upgrade at the current price. Any users out there? Recommendations?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Re: Kontakt 6? Komplete 12?

Post by mikehalloran »

There are three new instruments and the upgrade price of $99 goes up in November. Doesn’t appear as big a deal as 4 to 5 was. Since NI went to 64bit during 5 and upgraded the Native Access license manager and ironed out those problems over this last year, I think it comes down to if you want the new stuff or not. If not, I don’t see the point.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... kontakt-6/

I’m going through the same questioning about Komplete 12 with the same Oct. 31 deadline. That $199 upgrade gives more bang for the buck so I’ll probably do it. There are some additional libraries in Ultimate that I wouldn’t mind having but another $400? Yikes! On the fence regarding that one.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... 2/compare/

The 30 additional expansion packs and corresponding $400 up-charge to Ultimate Collector’s Edition hold no interest for me at all.

I included links so others can see what we’re talking about.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Re: Kontakt 6?

Post by Michael Canavan »

Not to dog on any company really, but NI are losing the plot a bit.
Lots of content, but still some things are just not all the way there. I don't really see any major reason to upgrade at this point, maybe when they do their 1/2 off sale next summer, but not right now. I've owned Komplete since version 2, I'm on Ultimate 10. I generally skip a version to get a better deal, but it's likely I skip two versions this time.

You know what would have done it for me? some love to Absynth. That was the first plug in by them I owned, and if you've ever messed with MPE controllers like the Seaboard Rise etc. you would agree how fun it would be if Absynth at the very least was MPE capable with an upgrade. That and larger more legible GUIs for everything. 4K is becoming standard and touch screens are as well.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

At least there's the Massive upgrade included, which will happen early next year.

Could play a role in many folks' decision to go to 12.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote:At least there's the Massive upgrade included, which will happen early next year.

Could play a role in many folks' decision to go to 12.
True that.

Nice to see you here again!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thank you, Mike!

Nice to see you too, brother. :dance:

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

K6 has a lot of love for library developers apparently with new build tools, effects, and options, so we should be seeing some new K6 only instruments appear on the market soon. . The new K6 content is ‘meh’ IMHO. Not bad, but really rompler like with limited tweakability. One thing the update does is completely lockdown the format according to Chicken Systems. Their translators can no longer work with NI locked content at all.

I upgraded because my last Komplete was 8 Ultimate and I think it would not qualify for a discount if I waited one more version.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

nk_e wrote:K6 has a lot of love for library developers apparently with new build tools, effects, and options, so we should be seeing some new K6 only instruments appear on the market soon.

One thing the update does is completely lockdown the format according to Chicken Systems. Their translators can no longer work with NI locked content at all.
I like seeing new tools, effects and functions.

Sometimes I like to be able to export the samples from a sound to use in another sampler. I suppose this means that it will be more difficult to do this with newer libraries. Some sound developers allow it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

stubbsonic wrote:
nk_e wrote:K6 has a lot of love for library developers apparently with new build tools, effects, and options, so we should be seeing some new K6 only instruments appear on the market soon.

One thing the update does is completely lockdown the format according to Chicken Systems. Their translators can no longer work with NI locked content at all.
I like seeing new tools, effects and functions.

Sometimes I like to be able to export the samples from a sound to use in another sampler. I suppose this means that it will be more difficult to do this with newer libraries. Some sound developers allow it.
You can find additional info here:

http://www.chickensys.com/k6.html

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for the input, all. Bad news for Chicken Systems, indeed. Does anyone have any knowledge of the CPU efficiency of K5 vs. K6?
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I bought a new Kontakt library yesterday that requires K6, so Native Access cued me to upgrade, which confused me as I thought Kontakt Player had just been a license level thing for a few years now.

So now I have both, and was able to compare side by side. Kontakt Player 6 doesn't seem to have a way to get a keyboard for quick auditions of sounds when you don't have a real MIDI keyboard hooked up, but maybe that's only available in full-license Kontakt or got moved in their setup workflow. It seems faster overall, to launch and to load, but there might be efficiencies specific to any KP version.

It is not called Kontakt 6 (at least, the Kontakt Player isn't); it installs as Kontakt. So I'm wondering if this means future revs will replace and overwrite, as Kontakt 5 and earlier retain their version number in the app and plug-in file names.

Other than that, K6 on the surface looks almost the same as K5, but I didn't dig deep yet and also still don't know if Kontakt Player is a different GUI and feature set from Kontakt, or just a licensing cue.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Also, I was surprised as I thought it wasn't coming until FEB 2019 and also didn't know it was on sale.

I wonder if the end-of-month deadline at $99 also means it won't be on Black Friday sale? I was going to do that upgrade plus the new ethnic libraries over Thanksgiving, and wait another rev before doing a Komplete update.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I think it's likely the February thing that had stuck in your mind was due to the projection of the Massive update, Mark.

Hope you're well, bud.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Well, I DL'ed the Kontakt 6 player for excrement and jollity. Yes, the AU shows up as Kontakt (sic). I'm not sure this is a fair test, as I might be comparing apples to pomegranates, but I'm seeing a marked CPU improvement in K6 Player. A CPU-hungry Kirk Hunter patch in DP shows about 35% on the DP meter with K5 showing about 15%. K6 Player is showing the same patch at 25% in DP, and 9% on K6. I'm not noticing any sonic differences. If this comparison holds up for the full version, this could be a winner.
Last edited by cuttime on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toodamnhip

Re: Kontakt 6? Komplete 12?

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:There are three new instruments and the upgrade price of $99 goes up in November. Doesn’t appear as big a deal as 4 to 5 was. Since NI went to 64bit during 5 and upgraded the Native Access license manager and ironed out those problems over this last year, I think it comes down to if you want the new stuff or not. If not, I don’t see the point.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... kontakt-6/

I’m going through the same questioning about Komplete 12 with the same Oct. 31 deadline. That $199 upgrade gives more bang for the buck so I’ll probably do it. There are some additional libraries in Ultimate that I wouldn’t mind having but another $400? Yikes! On the fence regarding that one.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... 2/compare/

The 30 additional expansion packs and corresponding $400 up-charge to Ultimate Collector’s Edition hold no interest for me at all.

I included links so others can see what we’re talking about.
I too am on the fence. 399 from ult 11 to 12, or 599 for everything. I ind of like having “everything” in all my libraries but I’d like to see what black friday brings. Its strange being a music producer in a “black friday” world. We can do all our shopping while sipping or coffees or Johnny Walkers blacks with our egg nog..lol... Should I wait till black friday is the question.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc