Kontakt 6?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Kontakt 6?

Post by monkey man »

nk_e wrote:Also, I have a bunch of Quick Load instruments set up in K5. These do NOT appear in K6...Quick Load shows nothing.

Has this been anyone else’s experience? If not, does anyone know of a fix? Thx.

G
If that's missing without a fix, that's huge, G.

I've seen enough Kontakt videos to know that the first thing I'll be doing when running it for the first time will be to make initial judgements as to which libraries to place in "Quick Load".

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

nk_e wrote:Also, I have a bunch of Quick Load instruments set up in K5. These do NOT appear in K6...Quick Load shows nothing.

G
I'm seeing this as well. It seems that the K6 filing and DB system is different. Whether by design or not I can't say.
monkey man wrote: Hearing your advice, therefore, to "stay away", scares me a little.
When I say "stay away", I'm referring to the upgrade path at the current price with the present flaws. If you should decide to join the NI ecosystem, I suppose you have no choice. The NI ecosystem is beginning to look more and more like Apple's...for better or worse.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

G
I found a solution at VI-Control: The patch settings for Kontakt are stored in User>Library>Application Support>Native Instruments. Copy the QuickLoad folder from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt, since "Kontakt" is now Kontakt 6.
dix

Post by dix »

mhschmieder wrote:...It is not called Kontakt 6 (at least, the Kontakt Player isn't); it installs as Kontakt. So I'm wondering if this means future revs will replace and overwrite, as Kontakt 5 and earlier retain their version number in the app and plug-in file names...
But, for the full version of Kontakt, installing K6 doesn't overwrite K5, correct? They're both still available, yes?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

dix wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:...It is not called Kontakt 6 (at least, the Kontakt Player isn't); it installs as Kontakt. So I'm wondering if this means future revs will replace and overwrite, as Kontakt 5 and earlier retain their version number in the app and plug-in file names...
But, for the full version of Kontakt, installing K6 doesn't overwrite K5, correct? They're both still available, yes?
Yes.
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Surely they'd fix an issue as glaring as the missing database search
Is there still a database function in K6? I just installed Komplete 12, and at first glance it looks like NI is relying on Native Access and Komplete Kontrol, unless there is something I am overlooking.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

billf wrote: Is there still a database function in K6? I just installed Komplete 12, and at first glance it looks like NI is relying on Native Access and Komplete Kontrol, unless there is something I am overlooking.
That seems to be the conclusion that was reached by the thread from the NI forums that I posted. They said Komplete Kontrol was free, but I can't find any way to download it, not through Native Access, or directly.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I'm pretty sure it's installed automatically when one upgrades to or purchases NIK 12 outright.

Maybe check the universal installer thingy (haven't seen it yet obviously, but will soonish...).
cuttime wrote:When I say "stay away", I'm referring to the upgrade path at the current price with the present flaws. If you should decide to join the NI ecosystem, I suppose you have no choice. The NI ecosystem is beginning to look more and more like Apple's...for better or worse.
Thanks man. I figured that that was what you meant, but it didn't instil the sort of confidence I'd have hoped for when dropping the insane amount of savings I'll be sacrificing. Can't be helped, of course.

I can only hope that things improve.
cuttime wrote:I found a solution at VI-Control: The patch settings for Kontakt are stored in User>Library>Application Support>Native Instruments. Copy the QuickLoad folder from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt, since "Kontakt" is now Kontakt 6.
How might one generate and / or edit that file in a case like mine (commencing at v6), cuttime? Any ideas?

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

monkey man wrote:I'm pretty sure it's installed automatically when one upgrades to or purchases NIK 12 outright.

Maybe check the universal installer thingy (haven't seen it yet obviously, but will soonish...).

How might one generate and / or edit that file in a case like mine (commencing at v6), cuttime? Any ideas?
But what if I don't have K12, is a mere Kontakt user left out in the cold? If so, that's even crazier.

The QuickLoad files are standard macOS aliases of NI .nkm or .nki files created in the GUI. You have to be there.

Sheesh, all this NI talk is making my spell checker go nuts.
billf

Post by billf »

cuttime wrote:
billf wrote: Is there still a database function in K6? I just installed Komplete 12, and at first glance it looks like NI is relying on Native Access and Komplete Kontrol, unless there is something I am overlooking.
That seems to be the conclusion that was reached by the thread from the NI forums that I posted. They said Komplete Kontrol was free, but I can't find any way to download it, not through Native Access, or directly.
How typically byzantine of NI.

For me Komplete Kontrol was included in Komplete 12, so maybe it's a Komplete only app? That said, if it's a requirement for managing Kontakt from here on out, they need to make it easily available to everyone.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When I saw that the full Symphonic libraries come with the Ultimate Collectors Edition in addition to the 30 expansion packs, I decided to spend the $199 now and wait till the next sale

I still need a new(er?) Mac than the 2010 and 2011 I have now. I don't know that next Tuesday's announcements will be of interest but I am curious to see what Apple has in the pipe.

Anyway, $999 wasn't in this week's NI budget even if Sweetwater will let me spread it over 24 months. Black Friday? Summer Sale? Maybe...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yup, that Collector's Edition thingy looks like the biz for someone like me who has zero existing libraries, Mike. In fact, I'm hoping that I won't need to spend a dime on top of that seemingly-exorbitant asking price.

Seeing as I have no latin percussion (or any percussion, but latin is my preference), orchestral or "pop" brass libraries whatsoever, these three factors alone IMHO will make it all worth it, provided said libraries are up-to-par, which, coming from a ROMpler background, I'd say they will be.

This'll be the biggest software spend I've ever made by a mile. Thankfully the every-other-version Komplete upgrades won't hurt as much as this first time 'round...
cuttime wrote:
monkey man wrote:I'm pretty sure it's installed automatically when one upgrades to or purchases NIK 12 outright.

But what if I don't have K12, is a mere Kontakt user left out in the cold? If so, that's even crazier.

The QuickLoad files are standard macOS aliases of NI .nkm or .nki files created in the GUI. You have to be there.
Are you sure it's not possible to use the universal installer, selecting only K6 and (hopefully) Komplete Kontrol, cuttime?

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

cuttime wrote:

G
I found a solution at VI-Control: The patch settings for Kontakt are stored in User>Library>Application Support>Native Instruments. Copy the QuickLoad folder from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt, since "Kontakt" is now Kontakt 6.
THANK YOU!!! :woohoo:

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

cuttime wrote:
You might try reaching out to Native Instruments... I own Komplete Ultimate 10, but Komplete Control did not show up on Native Access. I emailed NI, and they added it for me.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

FYI regarding latin percussion, as I am in the midst of re-tracking ALL of mine at the moment (and will still replace with my own (or others') live playing down the road at some point, where convenient).

I used fxpansion's percussion lib for BFD for many years as it is mostly recorded well and for the most part picked good instrument sources, but it's an old library and very limited regarding articulations -- as is everything from native Instruments in that regard.

You will do FAR better to buy HandHeld Sound's Flying Hand Percussion the next time it is on sale -- though it requires a full Kontakt license if you don't have Kontakt yet.

Unlike the "single hit" approach of most, where you want short MIDI note lengths (for the most part), this lib models the intricacies of how the hand moves while playing -- it is scary how life-like it sounds compared to every other lib, for the stuff they actually cover, which isn't much (unfortunately).

No bongos; just bongo-cajons. The congas are unparalleled, however. Evolution Series is also quite good, but they picked weird conga voicings (super-tumba only; no tumba!) and tunings, and it can't really get dry enough even with mic mixing. Also, it doesn't do hand modeling like Flying Hand does.

Having said that, the Discovery Series from NI -- which is part of most Komplete packages -- is a better starting point than most, for a lot of ethnic stuff, and actually covers a lot of instruments that can be found nowhere else! They are Kontakt Player libraries too; no Kontakt license required. I've been buying them piecemeal instead of doing Komplete updates.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH