Recorded audio placement on timeline is not consistent

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Recorded audio placement on timeline is not consistent

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Zoom waaaay in!
Therein lies the rub. You can zoom in far better visually than your ears can. Which raises the question: to what extent does it actually affect sync between parts?
A: Not Much/Not at All.

Even the worst case MIDI delay, 28 ms at Buffer 1024, is about the same delay one might experience when hearing a fellow bandmate from across a modest sized stage. OTOH, DP's audio sync is so tight on my Mac that it puts a frog's behind to shame.

All in all, it's nice to know things are copasetic in DP on the Mac (under Sierra), timing-wise.

For the OP: My testing was performed entirely within the digital domain, but involved a round trip to and from my USB-connected 828es. If we passed thru a pair of converters (D to A > A to D), I'd expect an imperceptible (and consistent) bit of additional delay.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I didn’t know that about the French.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I didn’t know that about the French.
Lost me with that one MLC. :sorry:
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote: OTOH, DP's audio sync is so tight on my Mac that it puts a frog's behind to shame.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Also, regarding MIDI timing, read "Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru" on page 218 of the User Guide.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
aanon
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by aanon »

I'm just reporting back to give an update and report that the problem i was having earlier has been resolved by moving to a different computer. Now roundtrip latency is stable and a single value for recording offset, once worked out properly, has been all I've needed.

My previous system was really giving me all kinds of grief. I thank the contributors in this thread for giving me a sanity check and helping me get to a solution.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

aanon wrote:I'm just reporting back to give an update and report that the problem i was having earlier has been resolved by moving to a different computer. Now roundtrip latency is stable and a single value for recording offset, once worked out properly, has been all I've needed.

My previous system was really giving me all kinds of grief. I thank the contributors in this thread for giving me a sanity check and helping me get to a solution.
You are very welcome... glad you got it sorted! :smash: