USB Fastlane issue

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
LUG
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

USB Fastlane issue

Post by LUG »

I sent this to the motu-mac group as well.

Thought I could get some more eyes if I posted it here too.

-----------------------------

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone still uses a fastlane usb in yosemite (or above)? Mine's pretty old.

I'm having a problem with MIDI in DP 8.07 on Yosemite.

For whatever reason it seems to work in Superior Drummer 3. It's worth noting that I've just started with Superior Drummer (and virtual/MIDI instruments in general), so when I say "works" I'm saying I'm able to use my korg keyboard as a MIDI controller successfully and it's also listed in SD3's "Audio/MIDI Setup" menu. (The fastlane is listed. Not the korg keyboard.)

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2quyf98ikjkug ... M.png?dl=0 )

In DP, however, while in the Tracks Overview, if I attempt to choose a different input/output for a track I'm presented with dropdowns containing text like "Unconfigured Ports" and "IAC (Missing)".

However, you can see that the Fastlane is indeed listed. It's just nested badly??

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2quyf98ikjkug ... M.png?dl=0

It's listed as a child of "Unconfigured Ports" and that can't be a good thing.

But why is SD3 seeming to see it?

I've downloaded and installed the newest driver from MOTU's site as well as had one sent via an exchange with a MOTU tech. (We're still not done with the issue but I thought I'd mention it here as well.) Its filename contains "Installer 1.6 (73220)(4).pkg".

It seems to be installed successfully and after doing so I'm told to restart. After a restart of both computer and DP opening up DP, however, nothing changes. Same thing.

Here it is in "About this mac -> System Report -> USB":
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwychou2obq2d ... M.png?dl=0

I also use a MIO2882+DSP FWIW.

Thanks for any advice!
reedster

Re: USB Fastlane issue

Post by reedster »

Does Audio MIDI Setup look like you expect it to?
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
LUG

Post by LUG »

Audio MIDI Setup doesn't list the fastlane at all.

I think that's where the problem is.

Why isn't it listed there?

So frustrating.

Thanks for the response!
reedster

Post by reedster »

try a manual uninstall of all existing MOTU driver components. Use something like Devon Technologies EasyFind to search for the pieces.

try an older driver.

If the Fastlane is on a hub changing a direct connection would eliminate a variable
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

LUG wrote:Audio MIDI Setup doesn't list the fastlane at all.

I think that's where the problem is.

Why isn't it listed there?

So frustrating.

Thanks for the response!
Hmm. It appears on my system as soon as I plug it in.

Try this. Go to the MIDI Studio window in Audio MIDI Setup. Unplug your Fastlane from the USB port and plug it back in. When I do this, it immediately adds a Fastlane to the configuration.

BTW, I'm using the same driver as you (1.6.73220).

Just to be thorough, have you tried a different USB cable?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My Fastlane crapped out a couple of years after I bought it. It could be time to replace. If nothing else works, give MOTU a call and see if they can help you diagnose the problem. These are still being made.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

See if this post offers any clues that may help you:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65406
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro