Hanging MIDI notes and Missing Notes

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Hanging MIDI notes and Missing Notes

Post by jsg »

Hi people,

I've had a system running flawlessly for many years. I am running the VSL library on a dedicated computer. It connects via MIDI over LAN to another machine running DP 9.52 for Windows 7. I have lots of memory in both machines.

Recently, I swapped out an aging RME 9652 PCI interface in the VSL machine and replaced it with a MOTU LP32, running 16 ADAT channels. Suddenly, I am experiencing missing notes and hanging notes when playback stops. It is very intermittent. I've tried reinstalling drivers, updating firmware, changing buffer settings, changing MIDI over LAN settings but haven't found the cause yet.

If anyone has solved this, please be so kind as to let me know. Another weird thing, is that the MOTU 1248 interface connected to the DAW, reports that there is only 1 ADAT bank, when in fact there are 2 and both are working. I don't know if that has anything to do with the hanging notes/missing notes issue though. When I was using Sonar, it had a MIDI buffer setting that prevented dropped notes. DP doesn't seem to have such a setting. Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks for reading this!

Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hanging MIDI notes and Missing Notes

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd call MOTU and work with them to sort this out. :smash:

Here's to a speedy sorting!
jsg

Post by jsg »

HCMarkus wrote:I'd call MOTU and work with them to sort this out. :smash:

Thanks, this has been resolved, it was a routing issue in DP..
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

jsg wrote:

Can you be more specific and tell us exactly what was wrong and how it was fixed?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
jsg

Post by jsg »

FMiguelez wrote:
jsg wrote:

Can you be more specific and tell us exactly what was wrong and how it was fixed?
Sure! I had just replaced an audio interface in a computer that is connected via Ethernet and MIDI over LAN with my DAW. I began having dropped notes, hanging notes, wrong patch changes and wrong volumes. I wrongly associated these new issues with the new ADAT interface but after a few days considered that these are MIDI problems, not audio; Andrew at MOTU argued this too. I did days worth of troubleshooting, but to no avail, until I looked at the Mixing view in DP. That's when I immediately saw the input confusion.

When I first set DP up last year I chose to turn off STUDIO-Multi Record and had as my input "any". Somehow MIDI data going out to my second sample-playback computer got seen as input to one of my softsynths in my DAW. I realized that "any" input means that any MIDI device that is sending signal out (in my case out MIDI over LAN which DP sees as virtual MIDI ports) can be used as an input, and in the case of one of my softsynths, it made havoc on my system. When I changed STUDIO-Multi Record from off to ON, I was able to assign the only input I want on all my channels: from my keyboard only. This immediately stopped every issue.

There are other reasons why a MIDI note can hang, or come in late, or not come in at all.
Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com
Last edited by jsg on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thank you for the explanation, Jerry.

I'm sure it will be of help to MOTUNation members and lurkers out there with similar issues :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman